PIN2DMD freezing then completely not working

benird

I seem to be having a clash somewhere in the setup in my VP cab. When I have my standard EZ Install Kit, Virtual Plunger/nudge interface kit and Pin2DMD display all connected everything works fine. However I want more buttons on the cab than the Plunger/nudge kit allows therefore I've also installed an IPAC-ve which I had spare form another project.

No matter what USB port combination I use whenever the IPAC-ve is installed the PinDMD stops working after about 15 minutes of use and will not work again until I restore Windows to the restore point before the IPAC drivers were installed. Then everything works perfectly again. I can't even directly issue commands like PIN2DMD /r to it the command line just sits waiting for the device to respond which it never does so I have to ctrl+c out of it.

I've asked a a few different VP forums as to whether anyone has experienced this problem and I've had suggestions like ensure you're not overloading the USB bus, update to the latest motherboard firmware (done) or ensure the Pin2DMD is in a USB 3 port which I've tried, I've even installed extra USB control boards so that no more than 2 devices are on a controller. I've also asked at Zebsboards and they don't believe that their products would be interfered with or interfere with the IPAC.

I'm wondering if there's a know issue between my installed items and IPAC-ve keyboard emulators. If so I'm more than happy just to buy another IPAC or other brand emulator. I'd rather know if anyone has any further suggestions before I throw more good money after bad however.

My cab setup has:
  • i7 Intel CPU with gigabye motherbaord
  • 2x onboard USB 3 ports
  • 2x onboard USB 1 ports
  • PCI-e USB 2.0 4 port controller
  • PCI USB 2, 4 port controller
  • Zebsboards Standard EZ Install Kit
  • Zebsboards Virtual Plunger/nudge interface
  • Pin2DMD DMD display
  • Windows 10 x64 Enterprise (I had the same problem with Windows 7 Premium both x86 and x64)
  • Gigabyte GTX750ti
  • IPAC-ve keyboard emulator
  • PinballX
  • Visual Pinball 9 and 10.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Did you try to change the driver from pin2dmd to winusb using zadig. 
Maybe it is an issue with libusb. Starting with dmddevice.dll versions
of pinmame, you can also use native winusb drivers. 

Thanks @lucky1 I've changed the PIN2DMD drivers in zdiag from libusb-win32 (v1.2.6.0) to libusbK (v3.07.0). I'll see if this helps.

Interestingly though I had a thought tonight that maybe my simpler keyboard emulator that i used in my arcade MAME cab may work and sure enough with it I've had none of the issues I experience with the IPAC-VE so it very well may just be an instruction clash between the IPAC-VE and  the PIN2DMD. It's certainly something that can easily happen in the PC world of infinite variables.

The good news is that the simple keyboard emulator is $20AUD vs $95 for an IPAC2

I changed the drivers to WinUSB and while I could still access it directly using pin2dmd.exe PinballX and Visual Pinball 9/10.2 both reported that pindmd could not be found. 

However I changed back to the libusbK drivers and everything worked again and I plugged in a friend's IPAC2 and the issue did not return. So given I've not tried a more modern IPAC and a Xin-Mo budget controller I suspect the issue is more with the older IPAC than the PIN2DMD.

I'd be happy to use the WinUSB drivers if someone could help me config PinballX and Visual Pinball to point to the device manually, however I'm inclined just to replace the clashing hardware.

Thanks again for you help.

A followup after 2 days of things working. Thanks for the help Lucky1 you assistance was perfect and the IPCA-ve is running smoothly now along side the Pin2DMD. Thank you again, and I love the colours I'm seeing now, so much nicer under the new firmware. an d XDMDs

Archived