SAMBuild2.9 beta thread

CarnyPriest

• Content Provider

So I tired the removal tool as mentioned by scottywic in that link, but I don't think it works with Win 10 Creators Update.

It runs and says successfully, but then when I attempt to reinstall .net 4.7 I get ".NET Framework 4.7 or a later update is already installed on this computer."

More reading and it appears if you are running Creators Update then you can't remove\reinstall .net 4.7 (at least not till that tool is updated maybe)

I found someone else suggesting disabling the .NET features under "Turn Windows features on or off" reboot, run windows updates, re-enabled the features and update again. So have I done that, I have also run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" to clean up my install.

I am doing this remotely, so can't test game play, I'll do some testing when I can using 4285 and see if it has helped.

If not I'll look at 10.3, but i was hoping to wait for it to be non beta if I could.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TerryRed said:

I was getting very regular crashing with Metallica LE and occasionally on TWD LE. This was using:

Using PinMAME r4285, VPX 10.21, dmdext 1.5.2 (with or without Pinball X gave same result, using coloured roms)

I have since tried "only" updating to the latest VPX 10.3 beta  (3089), and "so far" I haven't had any crashes with Metallica LE, or TWD LE, and the hammer, all lighting for Star Trek LE and other tables,ACDC diverter, etc....seems to be working. No crashes yet.

While I do have more testing to do.... it's so far so good.

I had exactly the same random crashes with Metallica ! Yesterday I also changed to VPX 10.3 and - surprise - no more crashes :) 

So i guess, that the crashes really could be connected to VPX 10.2. Since VPX 10.3.3089 is now called release candidate, and the first 10.3 tables appear, I think, that it is time for me to change. But I will do some further tests today, stay tuned...

• Content Provider

You have all convinced me so I've bit the bullet and installed 10.3 3089, I have backed up all my 10.2 files to ensure I can roll back.

I probably should have completed testing of my .net fixes, but... moving along.

Just to add, A mate and I maintain a sync between cabs, most files are in sync, including VPX and VPM, he has yet to install Win 10 Creators Update and has not had any of my issues, so it def appears to be linked to that update, .net and the latest vpinmame.dll's.

Hopefully the .net "repair" of sorts I mentioned before, and the 10.3 update will see stability restored, I will report back after some game testing.

• Content Provider

I was gone for about 4 months, but yes I also did the Creator's Update a while back. However I also updated VPX, VPinMAME so it was harder to narrow down where my crashes actually started.

Still no crashes so far since updating to 10.3.

The only issue is slow motion DMD for Walking Dead LE. Will have to try playing around with different dmdext versions, or using PinMAME rendering and see if it still does it, etc....

However I'm wondering if anyone else has an issue where "some" tables that use modulated flashers (real flashers in your cabinet) would only have the flashers illuminate to a very dim level.  I noticed this was with Metallica LE and TOTAN for example.  (there may be more tables than that) 

If I got rid of the nobool entries in DOF Config Tool they would work fine but they were no longer modulated flashers.

It was a long time since I updated with DOF Config Tool (just updated recently), and I'm wondering if anyone else had noticed anything like this, and if those tables work fine with modulated flashers for anyone?

4 minutes ago, TerryRed said:

It was a long time since I updated with DOF Config Tool (just updated recently), and I'm wondering if anyone else had noticed anything like this, and if those tables work fine with modulated flashers for anyone?

I will check this today too !

• Content Provider

Sigh... Now I have a sticky flippers problem, seems to be limited to only a few tables (Metallica Premium being one). If I launch it directly it is fine, via PBX and the flippers stick. I have read people saying disabling the b2s fixes it, or turning exe mode on or off (yes both, I have mine on), but that is hardly a fix in my book, it only seems to have happened since my .net "repairs".

I just can't seem to get everything to play nice and this hole seems to just keep getting bigger, might be easier to just blow Windows and start again, but that is not a fun prospect either

Any ideas before I go nuclear? 

I had a weird flipper issues on some tables like TWD Mustang and I think Metallica. Look for this in the script and comment it out. Worked for me! 146170377274166c5dc3af458770c8d2.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Content Provider

Thanks for the hint, but doesn't seem to be the case with the Premium tables, I can only find the following flipper lines

SolCallback(15) = "SolLFlipper"
SolCallback(16) = "SolRFlipper"

and

Sub SolLFlipper(Enabled)
     If Enabled Then
         PlaySound SoundFX("FlipperUpLeft",DOFFlippers)
         LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
     Else
         PlaySound SoundFX("FlipperDown",DOFFlippers)
         LeftFlipper.RotateToStart
     End If
 End Sub

Sub SolRFlipper(Enabled)
     If Enabled Then
         PlaySound SoundFX("FlipperUpRight",DOFFlippers)
         RightFlipper.RotateToEnd
     Else
         PlaySound SoundFX("FlipperDown",DOFFlippers)
         RightFlipper.RotateToStart
     End If
 End Sub 

I also tried b2s in standard and exe modes without success. But I did find that if I hit f3 then the problem goes away, at least during that session.

As I mentioned it is fine outside of PBX.

I can only put it down to Win 10 CU and a .net issue, But with no way of "repairing" .net with CU, I can't see how to fix it.

@Wob Since VPX is running fine outside pinballx, It really sounds like that is the culprit. You know that when you run Win10, you probably should NOT set these programs to 'run as administrator' ? A few programs requires a healthy .net - so, if you get those errors constantly and can't fix the installation. I don't see any other solution as to nuke and start over.

6 hours ago, TerryRed said:

I just tested many tables including TWD, ACDC, MTL and ST LE (VPX 10.3, VPinMame 4285), and I could not notice any dim flashers in my cab and no more crashes of MTL !

Which DOF version (build) do you use ? I currently use djrobx master branch and compiled it by myself under Visual Studio Community 2017.

BTW, did you see, that Rambo3 works on a DOF branch with Philips Hue functionality  ;) ?

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Ginsonic said:

I just tested many tables including TWD, ACDC, MTL and ST LE (VPX 10.3, VPinMame 4285), and I could not notice any dim flashers in my cab and no more crashes of MTL !

Which DOF version (build) do you use ? I currently use djrobx master branch and compiled it by myself under Visual Studio Community 2017.

BTW, did you see, that Rambo3 works on a DOF branch with Philips Hue functionality  ;) ?

I'm using this version :    DirectOutput_V0.9_Build_5850.21660.zip

With this update:   dof120616.zip

Where is the newest version located...I've been away for 4 months and haven't been able to keep up.

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, Ginsonic said:

@Wob, did you ever try to start VP not as VP system but as a custom system ? This and the famous 4GB Patch of PinballX.exe cured all issues with PinballX for me !

@Ginsonic I'll give that a try, at the moment VPX is running as the Visual Pinball and VP9 and PM5 are custom, I'll move VPX to custom and see if that helps. Can you link me to the 4GB patch?

@Thalamus I do agree that is seems linked to VPX, but frustrating as this wasn't an issue previously and has only come up since trying to fix the crashes.

Note: I am not seeing crashes now, just flipper issues. And I am not seeing any .net errors in my even logs anymore. I did find several people linking sticky flippers to .net updates, but couldn't find a real fix.

Edite: I take that back, just looking at my logs and I did get a .net crash last night, but not sure when, I didn't notice any table crashes as such.

• Content Provider

OK, I am doing this testing remotely so I'm not 100% sure yet, testing tables is very laggy over teamviewer. But @Ginsonic's suggestion to move VPX from "Visual Pinball" to a custom system in PBX seems to have fixed the sticky flippers (at least with Metallica Premium). I'll do some more testing when I am home. And I'll try the 4Gb patch once I am sure I have the right one :) My system has 8Gb of ram, and during most tables I still have plenty free.

I would love to know why just the menu launching option makes any difference, but for the moment I'll just take a win.

So many moving parts with VPins, it can be frustrating at times.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Wob

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Wob said:

OK, I am doing this testing remotely so I'm not 100% sure yet, testing tables is very laggy over teamviewer. But @Ginsonic's suggestion to move VPX from "Visual Pinball" to a custom system in PBX seems to have fixed the sticky flippers (at least with Metallica Premium). I'll do some more testing when I am home. And I'll try the 4Gb patch once I am sure I have the right one :) My system has 8Gb of ram, and during most tables I still have plenty free.

I would love to know why just the menu launching option makes any difference, but for the moment I'll just take a win.

So many moving parts with VPins, it can be frustrating at times.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Wob

I don't about the 4GB patch program, and would also like an answer about using that....does it really help at all, and on what do you use it with?

As for having VPX as a "Custom" system and defined as "Other" in PBX.... I recommend that for all of VP9, PM5, VPX, and PFX2. This solves sooo many issues if you use other launchers and program along with each system. Using a "Custom" "Other" system basically disables any "internal" things (keystrokes, monitoring for processes,etc) that Pinball X normally uses for those systems.

Ironically FP is the only native PBX system that is setup for me with PBX and it has no issues. All the other systems for me are Custom / Other.

6 hours ago, TerryRed said:

I don't about the 4GB patch program, and would also like an answer about using that....does it really help at all, and on what do you use it with?

Well, mainly I tried this tool, because I noticed, that PinballX had occasional troubles, when I switched from preview images to preview videos. It seemed, that it could not handle such large data amounts correctly without having some slowdowns and other maybe memory based troubles. I am pretty sure, that it does not bring any advantages regarding VP table starting, but the whole handling went "smoother" since then. Try it out for yourself, there is no risk, because it creates a backup before patching, as mentioned above.  I also patched GameEx.exe on my Pedestal Arcade too.

13 hours ago, TerryRed said:

I'm using this version :    DirectOutput_V0.9_Build_5850.21660.zip

With this update:   dof120616.zip

Where is the newest version located...I've been away for 4 months and haven't been able to keep up.

My current version:

DOF.JPG.46d13e3d7aecf56eea1b978f90287a02.JPG

The source is here: https://github.com/djrobx/DirectOutput

As mentioned above, I compiled it by myself (therefore the date 2017.03.30 in the screenshot) ,

I think, it should be no problem, if I would provide the compiled files here (I did only compile them, there are no source code changes !). Any concerns from anyone ?

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, Ginsonic said:

My current version:

DOF.JPG.46d13e3d7aecf56eea1b978f90287a02.JPG

The source is here: https://github.com/djrobx/DirectOutput

As mentioned above, I compiled it by myself (therefore the date 2017.03.30 in the screenshot) ,

I think, it should be no problem, if I would provide the compiled files here (I did only compile them, there are no source code changes !). Any concerns from anyone ?

I know I would certainly wouldn't mind a complied version to try out. :)

• Content Provider

Just wanted to report my problems are all sorted, no sticking flippers, no random crashes, running the latest vpinmame.dll and VPX 10.3, Still on Win 10 Pro CU.

Set my grand champion score on Metallica Premium while testing, so all thumbs up from me ;).

I'll still give the 4gb of PBX patch a go.

Thanks again all.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Archived