PIN2DMD Minimal Breakout Requirements

Gravelrash

When first looking into PIN2DMD I was frustrated by the difficulties/cost of getting other peoples breakout boards / complete packages..

So I thought stuff it, I own a soldering iron, I'll wire up my own.  Then I was very frustrated by the lack of information on required hardware connections to get PIN2DMD up and running.  Especially as I had a unused STM32F4 board unused from an unrelated project and could borrow some RGB displays.. 

The information that was lacking was a quick and easy schematic to allow a quick prototype / point to point solution to be made. Yes there is a text file on the PIN2DMD github page, but that requires me to research pin labels to text and seems to be making it all needlessly hard for people who just want to get up and running with minimal resources.  (Having never looked at an STMf407 whatever chip before). And what is there has added noise around extra features like Wifi modules etc so I have to wade through that as well.  I didn't know what optionals were needed and which wasn't..  It actually began to feel like it was deliberately obsufated.

So them I stumbled across the schematics posted in December by Mr UncleSash (Thank you so very much!), So that got me underway.

So instead of presenting a problem, here's a solution.  A start on the sort of information I was originally looking for.  So if you can get hold of the requisite RGB displays, and an STM32F4 Discovery board here's the bare minimum 'breakout' required to make use of them with PIN2DMD (to my knowledge).  Of course you've still gotta install the PIN2DMD firmware (V1.xx or V2.xx) on the STM32F4 Discovery but then you should be up and running.

I have deliberately shown every trace on this diagram to facilitate anyone manually wiring as that's the intent..

Any errors spotted please tell me I'd appreciate it.

Finally I used KiCAD which was a new tool to me, Attached is the files from that using its inbuilt 'archive tool..  I also used KiPart to make the sch parts which was very useful.

Later.

Pin2DMD Minimum.zip

PIN2DMD Minimal V20170111.pdf

• Content Provider

I don´t see the point here. There is a gerber file on github of the current shield, which you just can take and send it to
a chinese pcb manufacturer like elcrow and get a pcb with all possibilities supported by the current pin2dmd and go-dmd firmware. Getting the pcb from china for 10$ plus shipping should be the cheapest way, to get a professional pcb unless you make the pcbs yourself.

If you are in desperate need to save some pennys you can leave out components which are not necessary for your usecase. You will end up with a shield with the same functionality like yours, but with the option to add necessary parts when  needed.

The wiring text is just for documentation and people using airwires.

Since most of the >450 users made it without a problem it seems to me that most of your frustration and the problems you are presenting are homemade..

How/what program are you guys using to design the circuit boards? It would be really sweet to have a shield design that is the size of a real pinball dmd and incorporates a 12V power converter and the ribbon cables all into the circuit board. that way for real pinball machines you just need led panels and an STM32 board and its a very clean install.

• Content Provider
On 11.1.2017 at 1:45 AM, Gravelrash said:

When first looking into PIN2DMD I was frustrated by the difficulties/cost of getting other peoples breakout boards / complete packages..

So I thought stuff it, I own a soldering iron, I'll wire up my own.  Then I was very frustrated by the lack of information on required hardware connections to get PIN2DMD up and running.  Especially as I had a unused STM32F4 board unused from an unrelated project and could borrow some RGB displays.. 

The information that was lacking was a quick and easy schematic to allow a quick prototype / point to point solution to be made. Yes there is a text file on the PIN2DMD github page, but that requires me to research pin labels to text and seems to be making it all needlessly hard for people who just want to get up and running with minimal resources.  (Having never looked at an STMf407 whatever chip before). And what is there has added noise around extra features like Wifi modules etc so I have to wade through that as well.  I didn't know what optionals were needed and which wasn't..  It actually began to feel like it was deliberately obsufated.

So them I stumbled across the schematics posted in December by Mr UncleSash (Thank you so very much!), So that got me underway.

So instead of presenting a problem, here's a solution.  A start on the sort of information I was originally looking for.  So if you can get hold of the requisite RGB displays, and an STM32F4 Discovery board here's the bare minimum 'breakout' required to make use of them with PIN2DMD (to my knowledge).  Of course you've still gotta install the PIN2DMD firmware (V1.xx or V2.xx) on the STM32F4 Discovery but then you should be up and running.

I have deliberately shown every trace on this diagram to facilitate anyone manually wiring as that's the intent..

Any errors spotted please tell me I'd appreciate it.

Finally I used KiCAD which was a new tool to me, Attached is the files from that using its inbuilt 'archive tool..  I also used KiPart to make the sch parts which was very useful.

Later.

Pin2DMD Minimum.zip

PIN2DMD Minimal V20170111.pdf

I looked to your Schematic. And that looks fine to me.|
And you are right, the details about the wiring on GitHub are leaking or in my words "confusing".

Personaly I use and like EAGLE as PCB and Schematic layout program.

When anybody needs my old rev 1.xy or rev 2.0 Files, just send me a PM.
Pin2DMD was OpenSource in the beginning and I designed the rev 1.xy Shields for the US (and al most the rest outside Europe).
So I really like to share the OpenSource stuff with the Person whi really wants it.

And a little promotions on my side:
New rev 3.2 Shields are planned and will be in stock in mid of February 2017!

And when Lucky1 is reading my post, I would be very happy when he share any Hardware changes with me when there are some or some changes planned.
When they are some I would like to implement then into my Design.
Thank you!

regards
Sascha aka UncleSash

• 3 weeks later...

Archived