New to all this/ where to begin?

crypto4

• 2 months later...

I'm also just learning about virtual pinball and am intrigued. I think I've spent about 3 hours a day for the last week or so reading and watching as much as I can.

I have moderate woodworking skills and think I could fumble my way through building a descent cabinet. I've built PCs from scratch, but that was ages ago.

This all seems like something I could pull off, but also seems like I could sink a lot of money then get overwhelmed. 

I'll be following along with anyone doing a build and trying to keep up with all of the jargon involved.

I'm also just learning about virtual pinball and am intrigued. I think I've spent about 3 hours a day for the last week or so reading and watching as much as I can.

I have moderate woodworking skills and think I could fumble my way through building a descent cabinet. I've built PCs from scratch, but that was ages ago.

This all seems like something I could pull off, but also seems like I could sink a lot of money then get overwhelmed. 

I'll be following along with anyone doing a build and trying to keep up with all of the jargon involved.

You have all the skills that I have. My advice… start small. Get yourself a few monitors and a PC with a decent graphics card and see if you can get the technology to work. You can also get an X arcade controller (not necessary but I did and really enjoyed it).

If you are comfortable with all of this, you'll be in great shape going forward. The physical cabinet and hardware are just details after that. You can test/add/remove hardware options for plungers, speakers, etc. as you are comfortable and you can afford.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:40 PM, ScottT said:

You have all the skills that I have. My advice… start small. Get yourself a few monitors and a PC with a decent graphics card and see if you can get the technology to work. You can also get an X arcade controller (not necessary but I did and really enjoyed it).

If you are comfortable with all of this, you'll be in great shape going forward. The physical cabinet and hardware are just details after that. You can test/add/remove hardware options for plungers, speakers, etc. as you are comfortable and you can afford.

Thanks for the confidence boost!

I grabbed a few Virtual Pinball tables and was able to get 4 out of 5 to work on an old PC I have laying around. 

Archived