New to all this/ where to begin?

crypto4

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance. I recently found out about virtual tables and love the idea, and want to have a go at building one. I'm struggling a bit though with these forums. I see a lot of great information, but i'm a bit overwhelmed. I tried clicking the FAQ to see if there were some beginner tutorials and so forth but it wouldn't work.

So i was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction, i have the wide body plans, but i was hoping to get an idea of the steps for once you have built a cab where to go from there. perhaps if you would be so kind you could give me a link or two with an idea of the steps.

My background is 10 years as an industrial electrician, also qualified in instrumentation and a fitter and turner...

Thanks again

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Scotty - Self taught at this as well as getting help from reading many forums...... lots of info there as well as youtube feeds. My issue is I can't get the vpuniverse tables to work with the Sten Roms even though I installed and named them correctly,,,, any ideas.  My cabinet I scratch build using 48" playfield with 39" Backglass no DMD yet but soon. Got at least $2k in mine and I've built most of the stuff myself themed with real Cirqus Voltaire TM graphics ($265.00) thanks to virtuapin.

• Content Provider

Stern roms can be found on this site .. so they should be plug n play. Now if you cant play the roms then you might not have the stern version of vpinmame (available on this site). Easy way to tell and test .. run setup.exe and "test" then find the rom name and click start. Does it show the rom in the list? no then you have the wrong vpinmame.dll file. If its listed and doesnt play then your rom is either missing or bad.

Was able to test DMD everything started. but start button or keyboard input would not start after credits were loaded. Plunger would operate but can't play because there was no ball.

What table you trying?
That might help getcha sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was able to test DMD everything started. but start button or keyboard input would not start after credits were loaded. Plunger would operate but can't play because there was no ball.

My guess is you're running a table that's physmod5 on regular vp9.9.3 instead on loading the table in vp 9 pm5

One was The Walking Dead Physmod5 1..1  and another was (adams family) called TAF-PhyMod_FS_1.1

Very new to this don't understand how what the physmod5 is or Vp 9 pm5 ..... I opens file with  Visual Pinball 9.9.2

Yeah figured that was your problem. In your visual pinball folder you should have a visual pinball physmod version next to you 9.9.2 exe. If you don't then reinstall the getting started install from vpforums. I think the latest version is x2. One you do that you'll have a physmod version of vp9. Open all physmod tables with the physmod version of vp9 and you'll be golden.

Any reason you are not using VPX and the 300+ tables available for that? If you pc is cabable then go with VPX. 

I'll answer for him on this one.

No vpx version of walking dead. And that Adams family version is awesome.

Hmm not sure what happened to my reply but yeah that walking dead looks sweet. But I cherry pick the best tables from all vp options for my cab. Many of the newer vpx tables don't play near as well. Take Star Trek for example. Also some tables I love like World Cup aren't out yet. Anyways all to say I think you gotta download and play. Pick what you like the best and trash the rest.

I am totally missing something - I do have a Vpinball99_physmod5 in that folder tried opening using it but same thing happens ...... tried reinstalling getting started install but can't find the physmod5 or Vp 9 pm5 file....

Had any luck or any more details for us.

Sorry guys - I was offline a few days due to work..... could not get those tables to work .... but per your recommendations I've stated on VPX seems to have some really good tables so thanks for that info. I did down load whoa-Nellie in vpx and this table is sort like tilted not Full screen.... also can't figure out how to rotate on playfield

Archived