TerryRed

How Future Pinball "should" be setup for BAM, DOFLinx & Pinball X!

13 posts in this topic

This is a "simple" guide for those who want to setup Future Pinball in a cabinet to use with BAM, DOFLinx, and Pinball X

How Future Pinball "should" be setup with a new clean install for a cabinet:

-install Future Pinball from the setup file you get from the Future Pinball site
-copy your FP tables (*.fpt) to the Tables folder (NOT in their own self-named sub folders!)
-if your table needs a different version of physics (2.4,2.5,2.6,2.7, Zed, Custom, etc), then just copy the needed .XML (*.zip for Zed) to your Tables folder and rename it the same as your table
-copy any table Library files (*.fpl) to the Libraries folder
-install BAM (Better Arcade Mode), it should be in the "Future Pinball \ BAM" folder
-don't change or rename any files in BAM folder!
-you can replace the Future Pinball.exe in the "Future Pinball" folder with another version if you want. I use SLAMT1LT's version from his site as it does default to 2.7 physics and has no watermark. Keep the original for backup.
-unblock ALL *.exe and *.DLL files within Future Pinball, BAM, and Pinball X (Win 8 , Win 10)
-Future Pinball.exe and FPLoader.exe are set to "Run as Administrator"
-launch your FP tables with FPLoader.exe in the BAM folder

-install Pinball X, and setup Pinball X to launch FP tables with FPLoader.exe

FPPBXsetup.jpg

Configure Future Pinball with these settings. This is a MUST, for complete compatibility with all tables and BAM / Cabinet use! Use these EXACT settings. (You can your change screen resolution and anti-aliasing if you want, and rotation to 0 if you have your playfield screen set to Portrait in Windows.) Also don't forget to set your Backbox resolution.

FP%20settings.jpg

-make sure you have "Load Image Into Table Editor" disabled (unchecked) in the "Preferences \ Editor Options" menu. This is important as you will get crashes and other strange things happen when you launch some tables!

FP%20settings%202.jpg

-when running a table from the FP Editor directly (no frontend), ALWAYS load only one table at a time, and ALWAYS close FP and re-open it after exiting a table! This won't be an issue when launching a table from a frontend like Pinball X.

By doing the above, you will have Pinball X use BAM to launch your FP tables, and BAM will use the appropriate physics file for your table if there is one...otherwise BAM will default to whatever the "Future Pinball.exe" uses (in my case, SLAMT1LT's 2.7 physics).

Then when the table loads, press "Q" and you can adjust the size, layout, render type, etc of each table to your liking. BAM is simply amazing!

BAM notes:

-New Renderer (Light System) is the nicest looking for lighting, etc....but is also more graphically demanding. Change to "FP Original" if a table runs slow for you
-new version of BAM fixed reflection limitations with FP, but also makes the ball look wierd with "FP Original" when in a rotated "cabinet" view. It looks fine in desktop view though.
-ambient occlusion can really kill your fps. You're probably better off disabling it.

=======================================

DOFLinx:    (Future Pinball specific stuff)

My setup for my cabinet with DOFLinx:

-install the VPX all in one installer. (Installs the B2S server and all needed files. Yes it installs Visual Pinball 10 too, but you don't have to use it. This saves you some work) 
-install DOF R3 and confirm it's working
-I install DOFLinx in the DirectOuput folder. This will allow DOFLinx to see DOFLinx.ini automatically. You can install to a different location, but you must configure DOFLinx to see where your DOFLinx.ini is located,etc...
-copy the DOFLinx.vbs file to the "Future Pinball \ Scripts" folder. Create one if doesn't exist.
-configure the DOFLinx.ini for your cabinet setup! (consult the DOFLinx guide for more info)
-unblock ALL *.exe and *.DLL files within the DirectOutput folder or wherever you installed DOFLinx (Win 8 , Win 10)
-all *.exe files are set to "Run as Administrator" within the DirectOuput folder, and all DOFLinx *.exe files as well
-I have DOFLinx always running in the background with the startup of Pinball X.  I HIGHLY recommend that you do this as it's how DOFLinx was designed to run, and it will save you alot of headaches. You have been warned!

=====================================

DOFLinx.ini  :

Sections of interest (in the DOFLinx.ini file) for Future Pinball tables modded to work with full cabinet support.  (Consult the DOFLinx guide to configure your entire DOFLinx.ini file! Not just these sections)

FP_LINK_WAIT_TIME=50000

- add this "FP_LINK_WAIT_TIME=50000" if it's not there. This is the max time DOFLinx tries to establish a link (FP Link) with your FP DOFLinx modded table, before it defaults to its "key to output" type function. You change the time to a higher value if your computer takes longer to load some tables.

FP_ATTEMPT_LINK=1

-this is needed if you want DOFLinx to attempt to establish the FP Link with FP DOFLinx modded tables

Cabinet Toys:

The following is your cabinet toys setup. Anything with a  #   in front of it will be ignored. Make sure you put a   #   in front of any device you don't have in your cabinet. (I don't have a shaker or gear motor)

Consult the DOFLinx guide for more info on how to configure this section.

These are the solenoids for flippers, bumpers, etc. Make sure they are configured for your particular setup, device, ports, etc. 

LINK_LF=101,25,8000
LINK_RF=102,25,8000
LINK_LS=103,75,1000
LINK_RS=104,75,1000
LINK_ML=105,75,1000
LINK_MC=106,75,1000
LINK_MR=107,75,1000
LINK_BL=108,75,1000
LINK_BC=106,75,1000
LINK_BR=110,75,1000

This is the blower fan, shaker, and gear motor. (Note, I don't have a shaker or gear motor)

LINK_FN=111,75,9999
#LINK_SH=111,75,9999
#LINK_GR=111,75,9999

Strobes and Beacon

LINK_SR=116,ON,0
LINK_BK=132,ON,0

Start, Launch, Fire button (you can add coin, exit, etc)

LINK_ST=114
LINK_LB=115
LINK_FR=113

RGB Flashers. These are configured with the Red port of each RGB flasher. 

LINK_FLOL=129
LINK_FLIL=126
LINK_FLCN=123
LINK_FLIR=120
LINK_FLOR=117

This section deals with RGB_OUTPUT devices. As far as Future Pinball DOFLinx modded tables are concerned, this is the RGB under cabinet lighting. Note: if you have any RGB_OUTPUT device configured the same as a RGB flasher, then the RGB flasher will be used when a FP DOFLinx modded table is launched!

RGB_OUTPUT=117,120,123,126,129

-I use my flashers for other programs, not just Future Pinball and Pinball FX2, so that's why my RGB_OUTPUTS are configured the same as my RGB flasher ports.
-RGB_STYLE, RGB_TRIGGER, RGB_MIN_TIME all effect the RGB_OUTPUT....but for FP DOFLinx modded tables this will only have any effect if the table modder chose to use these features.

All of the above cabinet toys settings are also used for the Pinball FX 2 full cabinet support features of DOFLinx as well  (correct me if I'm wrong DDH69!).

That about wraps it up as far as DOFLinx and Future Pinball modded tables are concerned. This doesn't cover the other sections of the DOFLinx.ini,  or all the other numerous features that DOFLinx has.... but it should help to answer A LOT of the questions I get.

Terry,

Thanks for this helpful tutorial.

I got your Tron Doflinx 1.13 table setup and works great with full force feedback and BAM.

There are a few things that are alluding me though:

1. How are you getting the backglass video and DMD onto another screen in the Tron Table?

2. The ball size seems a bit wierd to me. It's almost too large and not quite the right shape. Any way to change that?

3. The strobes on the Tron table stay on all the time. I'm not sure why that is. Any ideas?

If there is a better place to post these  questions let me know.

Thanks again for a great table with feedback!

15 hours ago, xantari said:

Terry,

Thanks for this helpful tutorial.

I got your Tron Doflinx 1.13 table setup and works great with full force feedback and BAM.

There are a few things that are alluding me though:

1. How are you getting the backglass video and DMD onto another screen in the Tron Table?

2. The ball size seems a bit wierd to me. It's almost too large and not quite the right shape. Any way to change that?

3. The strobes on the Tron table stay on all the time. I'm not sure why that is. Any ideas?

If there is a better place to post these  questions let me know.

Thanks again for a great table with feedback!

1.) I get the DMD on my 3rd screen using FutureDMD. My setup is different than others. My backglass in Future Pinball has a custom resolution, something  like 1920x1600 (depending on the middle screen resolution) which has part of the backglass "spill" onto the 3rd screen.  I edit some of the Future Pinball tables with videos, etc so that they will be positioned my 3rd screen which is located below my backglass screen in windows.

This video helps to explain it a little better:

2) Ball size will be different depending on the table. Also, your settings in BAM will change the way it looks, so you may have to play around with that.

3) The strobes shouldn't stay on. It may have to do with your DOFLinx settings. You're best off posting your issue and DOFLinx log file and DOFLinx.ini file here where DDH69 can help.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showforum=106

Great! FutureDMD was the missing link I was looking for. Didn't even know that existed. Will try get that setup now.

Terry, thank you for taking time to create and share this guide. Can I use this guide for install on a cab without Kinect for BAM and without DOF?

3 minutes ago, MnHotRod said:

Terry, thank you for taking time to create and share this guide. Can I use this guide for install on a cab without Kinect for BAM and without DOF?

Yes, but if you are using a cabinet, I would highly recommend BAM. It's essential for Future Pinball in a cabinet...even if you aren't using the 3D or tracking,etc.

3 hours ago, TerryRed said:

Yes, but if you are using a cabinet, I would highly recommend BAM. It's essential for Future Pinball in a cabinet...even if you aren't using the 3D or tracking,etc.

I will not be using the 3D or tracking, so I wanted to know if I could/should install BAM. I'm guessing your answer to that is YES.

I'm new to VP in general, and do not have FP installed yet on my cab. There are some tables I would really like to see, so I am thinking it is time to try my hand at installing FP. Some of the tutorials people are posting here, and on other VP sites really do a lot to help newbies like myself. Thank you for your efforts and feedback.

Anybody else having issue downloading FP from the FuturePinball website? It is not working for me. Is there another reliable source to download from?

16 hours ago, MnHotRod said:

Anybody else having issue downloading FP from the FuturePinball website? It is not working for me. Is there another reliable source to download from?

It works if you right-click on the download link and choose "save link (or target)"

Hi all,

I am really having issues getting the backglass working on my second monitor, I can get things working fine on one screen but not as a cabinet (rotated screen) with backglass on the second monitor.

As soon as I set this up as all would seem correct the table locks on boot

Any ideas? I have tried so many forums its getting ridiculous, I am starting to thinking its hardware related!

My recommendation is to have your playfield as screen 1, backglass as screen 2, and dmd screen (if used) on monitor 3. That's how they should display in windows.

I also recommend having your screens arranged from left to right in windows. Playfield screen 1, backglass screen 2, dmd screen 3.

You should also have your playfield (screen 1) NOT in portrait orientation in windows! Its better to just have it in normal landscape mode, and have Future Pinball "rotate" your playfield by 270 degrees. Also make sure you have backglass on second screen enabled in Future Pinball.

You can use my build as a reference (except maybe the dmd screen setup. That is unique to my setup)

Terry your guide is fantastic. I can't thank you enough.Great work. Very clear and helpful. It has made this FP setup so easy. Twice now!

I just did a new setup for a clean install on Win10 and just followed this to the letter. Everything is working again.

I noticed btw that this isn't listed on the VP forums/in their tutorials section?

That pinkadia is inspiring too, and v.helpful to see the youtube videos of each individual system running.

Anyway thanks again and all the best to you!

Brutze

Hello; I finally got Bam working on my cab. I followed your guide and the guide from the Bam site. Everything is working however when using fploader I can't change the size of the translite. Even after going into the menu (q) and playing with the options it does not work. Loading a table using the futurepinball.exe i can use the scroll lock and PgDn /PgUp keys to resize the translite/backglass, but the settings will not carry over to Bam. Any ideas? Yes, I have tried load fpt setting, manual, stretch etc.

Also, whenever I select arcade mode in future pinball video menu my seen for the table is huge. But when i use bam to force arcade mode it works great. I love bam now that I got it working. Just would like to fix the size of my translite on my 2nd monitor.

>Derek