Pin2DMD OK in VPinMAME but not Visual Pinball

No doubt I am missing something obvious here, but am lost as to what.

Everything was working fine until I updated both Visual PInball 10 and tried the latest VPinMAME ( VPinMAME_SAM_NON_PINDMD__PINDMD2__PIN2DMD_2.37 to be exact). Now Pin2DMD works fine when testing ROM's in VPinMAME, and also displays logo's properly in the menu of PinballX. But there is nothing displayed when running and of the visual pinball programs like VPX, Physmod5 or Visual PInball 9.

Going back to later versions of VPinMAME hasn't helped. What am I doing wrong or have forgotten to do?

I've been confusing myself about which version of PinMAME I am actually running. I know what the problem is now though.

Turns out that it DOES work when using " VPinMAME_SAM_NON_PINDMD__PINDMD2__PIN2DMD_2.37 ". This version gives the option to "Use Pin2DMD". But when using "VPinmame SAM for Desktop, Cab, Pindmd1, Pindmd2, Pindmd3, Pin2dmd 2.43" it works when testing within VPinMAME, but NOT when using any version of Visual Pinball. Note that this version gives the option to "Use External DMD", 

Now that I have actually read the instructions (WHO does that anyway?? :-)) in CarnyPriests post, he mentions that "Real DMD requires drivers for the DMD controller board", found at http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?s=7538c0bb40eb634496245162da01933f&app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=25048

So basically, for SAM versions after 2.37, real DMD's require a dmddevice.dll Odd that this isn't required when just testing in VPinMAME though.

Lesson learnt: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Archived