Files on real pinball

darden78

maybe i missed a couple of passages :-)

i downloaded the metallica file but i don't understand why there are a lot of files and how to use them.

can you show me a kind of guide to follow or tell me what i have to do?

because i don't know how and where to put these files on my pin2dmd sd card.

thanks...

ok, thanks for your link, i read about real pinball and i did it, first of all i downloaded the correct version of my real pinball software and i loaded it on the pin.

then i opened the pin2dmd editor, registered my copy and loaded the smartdmd.txt inside the folder i downloaded from there.

here i export my project in pin2dmd,dat and he told me to "rename it in pin2dmd.pal".

i did it changing the extension of the file but opening the pin2dmd.exe to charge my file on the sd it doesn't let me find my file. he wanted a .dcm file and i hadn't.

so to put my pin2dmd.pal file on my sd i used a sd card reader, i connected my display to the pinball but it doesn't work.

what did i do wrong? i think i miss something, as i told before...

• Content Provider

Did you switch the device mode to the correct one (SAM)? Did you see your palette in the startup screen ?

Why didn´t you take the palettes.dat from the zip and rename it to pin2dmd.pal ? Did you patch the ROM file

with pinball browser ?

you had to see my face while reading your answer!!!

it seems the face of a cow watching a train passing in front of it!! very intelligent!!:-)

first of all i've seen just right now there's a file.dat in the folder. 

second point, how can i switch the device mode? with the pin2dmd.exe?

then, when i'll have done that, i will just have to cancel the original pin2dmd.pal on my sd card and put the new one?

third point: what did you mean with "patch the rom file with pinballbrowser"? are you speaking about the "original rom"? tho one to put on the pinball cpu?

sorry but i don't know the pinballbrowser software.

thanks

• Content Provider

Colorization constists of two parts. The modified ROM file for the Stern SAM board and the pin2dmd.pal you put on the SD card.

The modified ROM must be created by pinball browser running a macro file (.pbm) against the original Stern Romfile.

You can get  pinballbrowser here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

You can also modify several other things with it like sounds etc.

Its really a nice tool for SAM and SPIKE machine owners

ok, thanks for your info, right now i succeed in making the display work but i think i have to better understand how pinballbrowser work,

because i just can see few colours, i've seen your video on youtube and sometimes colours are different from mine...

now i'll try and hope do everything well.

thanks again...

i did what you told me, i opened pinball browser, here i open the metallica pinball rom, so i chose and open smartdmd and load macros, then i saved my rom again.

then i put the updated rom on the pinball and the pal file on the sd.

it works but i think there is something wrong anyway, bacause i can just see pink letters and numbers and not white like in the youtube video, the animations are not so coloured like in the video.

for example the metallica letters when you do the ramps, became just a faded orange and not a full red, the snake is just green (light and dark) but no gray and no red tongue and so on...

is it correct or there is something doesn't work? i can't see red dots nowhere in no animation (and red for metallica is a must!!), i mean colors are not defined like in your youtube video.

i think i did something wrong again,didn't i??

ok, that was the point or at least i hope so!!

i load the macro but i didn't run it, because i had to put a license i didn't have, now i donate and waiting for the license, when i'll have, i'll try and write about the result..

thanks for your patience!!

this cow stopped watching at the train and now is trying to look forward. :-)

ok guys, now i have a real color pin2dmd!!! on new stern like my metallica it works very well!

i hope a day we' ll have files for the bally williams too.

i just had a problem during my work... 

when i ran macro it told me i hadn't enough memory but when i put it on my pinball it worked well.

and another question: in the video i've seen "normal letters" are white, on my display are purple/pink,

is there a way to have them white?

if instead of "smartdmd" i'll put "vga" on pinballbrowser i'll have white letters but will i lose macros?

as i told you before, it's first time i attemp to use it properly so i ask to be patient with me...

when you say "edit the smartdmd palette" you mean on pinballbrowser or on the pin2dmd editor?

because on pinballbrowser i tried to open smartdmd but it opens a window where i don't know how and what to change.

and about pin2dmd editor i don't know how to use it, i tryed to open and use but i have never understood how to do!

it seems to be a little bit complicated and i tryed to follow the instruction but my english is not so good and i lost myself...

• Content Provider

In Pinballbrowser! You can either edit the palette when opening the smartdmd.txt when you click on "Configure your smartdmd device"
or when editing a frame by CTRL clicking on the color. 

When using pinball browser you only need pin2dmd editor for converting the SmartDMD.txt to pin2dmd.pal

ok, i understand what to do, to change just the letters and numbers color i just had to change color 15 in smartdmd and i did it,

i saved the file and rename it, but if i put it into the sd, letters are still purple/pink.

now i'll try to save the rom file and see if it generate the .dat file, if it does i'll try rename it and put into sd...

...stay tuned! :-)

i did it!!

i tryed what i told before but using the generated file from saving rom didn't work, so i tryed to save a dat file from pin2dmd editor after opening the smartdmd file i saved before and this time it worked!

really beautiful effect on a real pinball, now i'm waiting to do the same on my spider-man ve.

the preview looks amazing!! now waiting for the file...

thanks guys for this fantastic project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

I'm planning to install a pin2dmd on a real Metallica pinball as well.

If I understand well, there's an extra step in the installation procedure that isn't covered in the Installation pdf  (available in the download section).

To enable Side Channel option (this allows up to 255 palettes in Pinball Browser), a cable needs to be connected from the ShieldPCB-RS232 connector to the S.A.M. CPU board serial port using a TTL-RS232 Adapter 

(source here on pinside)

Am I right ?

I've looked in the download section for the 1.70 code patch (latest at this time) but the zip contains only pin2dmd.pal and mtl170c_ByPinballMikeD.diff

While I can patch the rom I can't load the pin2dmd.pal with pinball browser. I know these files are converted from smartdmd.txt, is there any way to convert a pin2dmd.pal to smartdmd.txt.

This would allow us to edit the palette with pinball browser for use on real machine.

I know I could technically use pin2dmd.pal with the HW by placing it on the SD card, but no ability to edit anything.

Sascha mentioned that stern took measure to prevent rom patching ? Waht?

• Content Provider

#1 You are right about the connection but if you already have a RS232 port on the shield and a max232 you don´t need the TTL converter.
You only need a cable from pinheader to SUB-D9 connector.

#2 The diff in the download section works only for virtual pinball machines since they all use the same serial number. 
For real pinball machines you need to have the pinballbrowser PBM file from J_M_ to patch it for the serial number of your machine.
Please contact him on pinside

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/186#post-3573026https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/186#post-3573026

#3 see number #2

Archived