Star Trek (Stern) strange colors

Joppnl

Hello,

is it possible to solve this:

I just installed the great table from GTXJOE Star Trek Stern.

I do know that Stern tables only are able to use 4 colors but I'm getting very strange colors even when I unchecked the option "colorize DMD' (and yes I did restart the table after changing this:

There is a lot of red color in the pin2dmd:  (the photo is more oange but in real it is (ugly) red)

2016-10-2318.05.36.jpg

However: if I enable the DMD on the screen (the upper one) it is monochrome:

2016-10-23180.jpg

These are the color settings (but color is turned off):

2016-10-23181.jpg

Even if I do enable color and choose the first ones to be white and the last one black (so 3* white, 1*black) the pin2dmd gives strange (and ugly) colors.

Is this Stern-color related or is it possible to get 4 good looking colors?

Thanks!

• Content Provider

Stern uses 16 shades but pinmame colorize is only capable of setting 4 of them. You have to modify the script to set all 16 shades.

This has already been covered here several times how to do this. Please use the search function.

thank you for your answer.

I know that only 4 colors can be displayed but the pin2dmd display does not use the 4 colors I define when I press F1 and then select the colors.

Even when I uncheck the "Colorize DMD' box it still gives colors on the Pin2dmd but not on the backglass dmd (as is on the picture above.

So...I do not want to use 16 colors but only 4 is fine but pin2dmd is not using the 4 I shoose in the software.

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

aaha...so if I say "do not colorize" it will colorize but according to the default palette....

that might make sense, will try that out. :)

Do you have a preferred color setting for this table GTXJOE?   Thank you for making this table, it's really awesome!

• 5 months later...

What you can do when there are no pal/color files available for a table: make use of an existing pal/colorscheme of another table.

In the alt-color directory make a new directory with the name of the ROM the table uses (in this/my case it is st_161) and in this dir copy the pal file in this directory.

You could use he pal file from Star Trek : TNG (sttng_l7  or something like that)  

I attached the pal file I'm using, it has nice blue - ish colors

HOWEVER:

there is something strange with this table (at least on my setup)

The game starts with these nice bue colors but as soon as a ball drains (and you get it back by ballsaver) the color scheme of the DMD will change to other colors, ugly red and so.

These red colors are not visable when you press the F1 / settings menu but appear there just by mistake I guess.

Starting the table again will give the nice blue colors again but...as soon as a ball drains it will revert to those ugly red colors.

I do not know what causes this error....may-be it's a driver issue...may-be a pinmame issue...no clue.

Let me know if the behaviour with this pal file on the pro version is also happening at your setup...

pin2dmd.pal

Archived