SAM Build with modular DMD drivers for pindmd1,2,3 and PIN2DMD

lucky1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: yesterday was playing my cab with PIN2DMD perfectly and today I start it and everything that uses the DMD just crashes. After a lot of checking/reinstalling/trying I found that when I change back to the small dmdevice.dll that comes with the installer of VPX everything works again, but the DMD flickers (I had that before but just updated the DMDDEVICE.DLL everywhere). When copying the latest DMDDEVICE.DLL and start a test of Vpinmame, Vpinmame crashes, PinballX does not show anything on DMD.

Here is the DMDDEVICE.LOG file (bottom part):

[1] 2017/05/01 01:54:47.420  INFO | Opening virtual DMD... 
 [8] 2017/05/01 01:54:47.657 DEBUG | PinDMDv1 device not found. 
 [8] 2017/05/01 01:54:47.686 DEBUG | PinDMDv2 device not found. 
 [8] 2017/05/01 01:54:47.686 DEBUG | Checking port COM1 for PinDMDv3... 
 [8] 2017/05/01 01:54:47.768 DEBUG | Error: De parameter is onjuist. 
 [8] 2017/05/01 01:54:47.768 DEBUG | Checking port COM3 for PinDMDv3... 
 [1] 2017/05/01 01:54:52.413  INFO | [colorize] Setting palette of 16 colors via side channel... 
 [1] 2017/05/01 01:54:52.413 DEBUG | [colorize] Setting new palette: [ #FF000000 #FF272727 #FFFF8000 #FFFF6A6A #FF6B6B6B #FF005E2F #FFAAD5FF #FFC0C0C0 #FF770000 #FFFFFFFF #FF643200 #FFFFFF00 #FFFF9595 #FFFFBFBF #FF00468C #FFE60000 ] 
 [1] 2017/05/01 01:54:58.322  INFO | [vpm] Close() 
 [1] 2017/05/01 01:54:58.322  INFO | Closing up. 

I tried also to change the driver with the ZADIG utility to the WINUSB driver instead of the LIBUSB32 but this keeps happening. Also tried latest firmware for PIN2DMD (2.38)

This happens with every rom that I start with the Vpinmame test. PIN2DMD.EXE works perfectly.

I cannot think of what can be different from yesterday that made this happen. Anyone have an idea ?

EDIT: I could not let it go, so tested further. DMDEXT did also not find the PIN2DMD. Then I went into device manager and looked up the WINUSB device and deleted it. Then put the LIBUSB32 driver back with the ZADIG utility and it worked ! Using the latest DMDDEVICE.DLL without flickering. I will leave this here for anybody having this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm finally getting to try the color roms in my cab and before truly diving in to coloring the roms, I'm having trouble getting the DMD to display on my third monitor (LCD screen).  I followed the instructions on freezy's GitHub site as well as other posts on the topic. I was able to see a colorized rom for Family Guy, however I can't get the DMD to move to my third monitor.

I have the latest files from GitHub: DmdDevice.dll, DmdDevice.ini, DmdDevice.log, DmdDevice.log.config, dmdext.exe and dmdext.log.config.  I placed all of these files in my VPinMame folder.

The instructions say to change the DMD position by changing the values for these (default values are listed):

x-axis of the window position
left = 0          
; y-axis of the window position
top = 0           
; width of the dmd in monitor pixels
width = 1024      
; height of the dmd in monitor pixels
height = 256      

I changed these values, but there are no changes when running roms.  The DMD shows up way too big on my Playfield monitor (if I leave the values as defaults).  If I change the values, the DMD no longer shows up on any monitor and I can't find it, even with the Alt/Tab keys.  The only way to locate the DMD again, is if I override the DmdDevice.dll file with the default from the download.

I have unchecked "Show DMD/Display window" and checked "Use external DMD (dll)" and "Colorize DMD (4 colors) from the VPinmame options.

I have saved, closed and then reopened VPinmame and even VP to try to get the changed values to save and show up.  

I'm stumped here and must be missing something.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Have you tried to use the "baywatch" example from freezy' documentation ? https://github.com/freezy/dmd-extensions

Here he uses the rom name to dictate where the dmd is going to be placed. Also, over at VPF, Stat posted a working setup in the game of the week thread. I guess, you could also ask him nicely for copy if you don't find it. I don't use this feature since I have a real-dmd.

Thanks Thalamus and Carny.  I had been making changes to the dmddevice.ini, then closing and re-opening VPM to test from there.  I have since been able to get the dmd position correct by saving changes to the dmddevice.ini, then opening a table in VPX to see the changes.  This worked, but took quite a few tries to get the position correct on my system.

Of note, the X/Y axis as well as the height/width positioning is very different from my normal positioning numbers from the B2S server.  

Thanks again!  The few color ROMS I now have working are so awesome, I want to locate additional .diff files to convert and possibly learn how to colorize non-SAM ROMS!

Update: September 21

Hey guys, I recently had to do a fresh install of Windows 7 and I'm now reinstalling and setting up everything on my cab.  I have 3 screens and use an LCD for the DMD.  I have all the files from freezy's dmd program and had this working prior my Windows reinstall.

When I test color roms in VPM setup, they run fine.  However when I run a table in VP using the same rom, I get "no dmd device driver found".  

I also checked all dlls are unblocked and VP is set to run as admin.  There is something not communicating between VPM and VP, since the rom and freezy's dmddevicedll works independently...just not when loading a table in VP.

This one has me stumped.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I tried these coloring roms in my cab. It's a 3 screen LCD setup, so i'm using the Virtual DMD from dmddevice.ini. I can see the colored roms fine and they are placed on the correct dmd display. However I don't see "dots". The lcd/dmd screen is just full solid graphics without a dot pattern. It's the same like you would enable "Compact Display (no dots)" in the vpinmame setup program. I made sure this option is unchecked when enabling external dll but it's like this option still is enabled internally as I don't see dots. This is a rather ugly unrealistic dmd ofcourse because of that.

Any idea why this happens?

Thanks

Hi,
I tried these coloring roms in my cab. It's a 3 screen LCD setup, so i'm using the Virtual DMD from dmddevice.ini. I can see the colored roms fine and they are placed on the correct dmd display. However I don't see "dots". The lcd/dmd screen is just full solid graphics without a dot pattern. It's the same like you would enable "Compact Display (no dots)" in the vpinmame setup program. I made sure this option is unchecked when enabling external dll but it's like this option still is enabled internally as I don't see dots. This is a rather ugly unrealistic dmd ofcourse because of that.
Any idea why this happens?
Thanks
From vpaddicts fb page regarding latest freezy dmd. Hope this helps. ... got it working with dots now: just modify the dotsize = 1.0 line and change the point between 1 and 0 to a comma. Like this "dotsize = 1,0". Now other entrys like 0,8 and 0,6 for example are working =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, umpa said:

From vpaddicts fb page regarding latest freezy dmd. Hope this helps. ... got it working with dots now: just modify the dotsize = 1.0 line and change the point between 1 and 0 to a comma. Like this "dotsize = 1,0". Now other entrys like 0,8 and 0,6 for example are working =)

Omg yes. This did it for me. Now it works, using a comman instead of a dot. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I tried the Mustang LE color rom for a Virtual DMD running on a normal lcd screen. The colors are fine but the sound is a little distorted with an echo sometimes. You here the samples two times like an echo. I do not have this with the normal roms.

Any idea what would cause this?

Thanks

18 hours ago, Thalamus said:

I'm sorry to say, but, it might then be that your machine isn't strong enough. Old hardware ?

No I can run all vpx tables faultless. It's an Intel I5 3gz+ and a Nvidia GTX 1080 TI (second best nvidea card to date)...

So I don't think it's a hardware performance issue.

Regarding the studdering/audio issues:
I Figured out some settings that eliminated my audio:
-Disable Brute-Force 4x SXSSA if you have it enabled

Most Important:
-Be sure both windows and external dmd are enabled in vpinmame rom options. then set backglass dmd to hidden.
This fixed all the double/stuttering audio issues for me.   With at91jit disabled I have zero issues now and run over 100 fps on all stern tables.

comments:

- at91jit disabled is slower than enabled, so only disable it if you experience issues like crashes

- brute-force 4xSSAA is demanding on the GPU only, and as the name implies it does work in a  sole brute force manner, thus it's up to ~4x slower for the GPU performance itself (usually though its much less)

• Content Provider
On 28.10.2017 at 5:32 PM, coreduo0099 said:

Most Important:
-Be sure both windows and external dmd are enabled in vpinmame rom options. then set backglass dmd to hidden.
This fixed all the double/stuttering audio issues for me.   With at91jit disabled I have zero issues now and run over 100 fps on all stern tables.

That also makes no sense, because enabling both activates the dmd  dump output in a file and should also slow down the system because of HDD access.
Recommendation is to enable only one of both unless you want a dump file to be created.

I also might add that I further tested with SpiderMan rom and the latest released Star Trek LE colored roms and they work fine without audio stutter/echoing at all.

So for me, it seems only the mustang rom up until now has this issue, what again points to the fact that I do not think it is a performance issue for me, since the other two runs fine. Disabling brute force 4x for this Mustang table did not change anything. still echoing.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, lucky1 said:

That also makes no sense, because enabling both activates the dmd  dump output in a file and should also slow down the system because of HDD access.
Recommendation is to enable only one of both unless you want a dump file to be created.

Interesting.. it definately made a difference for me.  But I'm not getting any dump file that I'm aware of, at least not in my video path.  Where would I look?

My video setting is:

[video]
; if enabled, writes frames to an .avi file
enabled = false
; path to folder or .avi file. if folder, gamename.avi is used.
path = C:\Users\xbox\Desktop\test\

On 11/6/2017 at 11:50 AM, pintris said:

I also might add that I further tested with SpiderMan rom and the latest released Star Trek LE colored roms and they work fine without audio stutter/echoing at all.

So for me, it seems only the mustang rom up until now has this issue, what again points to the fact that I do not think it is a performance issue for me, since the other two runs fine. Disabling brute force 4x for this Mustang table did not change anything. still echoing.

I didn't even realize Mustang was stuttering.  I played it several times with different settings and 8/10 times I get the sound duplication issue.  I found it easiest to detect on the beach boys background music.  I can't get rid of it either.

I didn't even realize Mustang was stuttering.  I played it several times with different settings and 8/10 times I get the sound duplication issue.  I found it easiest to detect on the beach boys background music.  I can't get rid of it either.
I use the alt rom better music no stutters. But doesn't have color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Archived