SAM Build with modular DMD drivers for pindmd1,2,3 and PIN2DMD

lucky1

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure he will and pretty sure we will find a solution. All this stuff works for other people, so it's probably just me being stupid or having missed something becuase of inativity since 2.37. Or maybe solving my issue does help others too. We'll see.

Hey Fuzgi, I had the same "dmd device not found" error message as you with my pin2DMD, trying to update from 2.37 to 2.43 then 2.45 ... I uninstalled vpinmame then reinstalled 2.37, updated to 2.38, and then I saw your message here and saw that there was a 2.43b file from Lucky.
I downloaded 2.43b and copied the dlls that you mentioned (thanks for being so detailed !) , put the 2.43b vpinmame.dll in the vpinmame folder and voilà ! It worked.
 then took the 2.45 vpinmame.dll , installed it and checked it also worked.  I hope you also manage to solve the issue.

• Content Provider

I had problems to use the binary from Carny myself, but my own build based on his github code is working :blink:

I uploaded a 2.45 build to the first post. Please test it.

Is pinballX working ? If not,please change to winusb drivers using zadig.

If you are a first time user of pin2dmd there may be some registry problems caused by the settings of the

old pindmd compatible libusb drivers. The problem comes along with usb composite device appearing  

under usb controller.in the device manager. Arngrim hat similar problems with pindmd2 reported over at vpf.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Lucky.

No, ever since using a dmddevice.dll PinballX has stopped working.

So, first I deinstalled my Pin2DMD device (including removing the libusb drivers) just to then reinstall it with the winusb driver by using Zadig. (see picture 1 and 4 below)

Then I took your 2.45 build (now in the first post) and setup VPinMAME with it and also copied the Pin2DMD-relevant files (this time without the libusbK.dll) to where they should be put. (see picture 2 vor the Visual Pinball and PinballX file setup and see picture 3 for the VPinMAME setup).

Result:

- No changes regarding VPinMAME (VPinMAME runs as it should) and also no changes regarding Pin2DMD (doesn't work with the Error message: "No DMD device driver found")
- PinballX works but does not show anything on the Pin2DMD (strangely no Error message)
- UltraDMD does not work (tested with America's Most Hunted table VPX) which does not interact with VPinMAME (no Error message too)
- DMDExt from freezy stopped working, which is plausible due to driver change of Pin2DMD
- Future Pinball's FP-Intercept (Marco and you) stopped working aswell

---

Some more relevant information:

- I don't have any other USB-devices installed using either libusb or winusb drivers.
- There's no double installation of Pin2DMD or any conflicts with other USB devices (see picture 5, devmgmt with non-present devices visible)
- latest Pin2DMD.exe works (changing config and saving it the SD card)
- none of the dlls are blocked
- there are 3 USB composite devices installed, none of them is Pin2DMD (see picture 5). They are: #1: Mouse and Keyboard Combo / #2:ZebsBoards Controller  / 3: IPAC2

---

Lucky, can you confirm that the driver setup of Pin2DMD is correct this way?

Any further suggestions are highly apperciated.

Pin2DMD_device.JPG

Pin2DMD_VP_PBX.jpg

Pin2DMD_VPinMAME.jpg

Pin2DMD_Zadig.jpg

Pin2DMD_devmgmt.jpg

Firmware is V2.30 installed sometime back in July I think. Want me to upgrade? If yes, did anything change in the procedure with the STM32 ST-Link Utility?

Okay, copying dmddevice.dll to my system32 directory did not change anything.

---

I also edited above post at the same time you replied. This is new information:

- UltraDMD does not work standalone (tested with America's Most Hunted table VPX) which does not interact with VPinMAME (no Error message too)
- Future Pinball's FP-Intercept (Marco and you) stopped working aswell. (This is also plausible due to the driver change, right?)

If you need more information, please tell me.

I am using an external dmd (pindmd3).  I have installed the latest Vpinmame that lucky provided....the dmddevice.dll is in the pinmame directory.  I have reinstalled pinmame and it looks like it is using the latest pinmame build.  However when I play any of the new build I get the error that Variable is undefined: 'SolModCallback'  something isn't adding up any suggestions?

pinmame.PNG

• Content Provider
10 minutes ago, fuzgi said:

Firmware is V2.30 installed sometime back in July I think. Want me to upgrade? If yes, did anything change in the procedure with the STM32 ST-Link Utility?

Okay, copying dmddevice.dll to my system32 directory did not change anything.

---

I also edited above post at the same time you replied. This is new information:

- UltraDMD does not work standalone (tested with America's Most Hunted table VPX) which does not interact with VPinMAME (no Error message too)
- Future Pinball's FP-Intercept (Marco and you) stopped working aswell. (This is also plausible due to the driver change, right?)

If you need more information, please tell me.

Should work. Did you unblock the DLL ?

• Content Provider
8 minutes ago, osujd said:

I am using an external dmd (pindmd3).  I have installed the latest Vpinmame that lucky provided....the dmddevice.dll is in the pinmame directory.  I have reinstalled pinmame and it looks like it is using the latest pinmame build.  However when I play any of the new build I get the error that Variable is undefined: 'SolModCallback'  something isn't adding up any suggestions?

pinmame.PNG

That is related to the changes here 

22 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Should work. Did you unblock the DLL ?

Well, it doesn't. Didn't have to unblock the dll (admin account). Gave full controll over all relevant dlls to ALL possible users and future users. --> no change.

So, either I'm stupid or your dmddevice.dll just does not work with my windows. I hope it's the first case :-)

Anyway, going to update the firmware of Pin2DMD later tonight. Hope that helps. Not sure what to do if it doesn't. Could help you troubleshoot my problem or just go back to 2.37. I'd gladly help.

Lucky, feel free to move my post over to Pin2DMD support or VPinMAME support. This is not really a VPinMAME SAM Development issue.

6 minutes ago, osujd said:

This is what the new build fixes, no?

You might be missing the latest core.vbs or have multiple version (usually people put them in the tables and the scripts folders). Download and intall the latest VP10.2 beta rev.2847. The new core is in there and needed for "any of the new build". Make sure you only have it in the scripts folder.

• Content Provider
34 minutes ago, fuzgi said:

Well, it doesn't. Didn't have to unblock the dll (admin account). Gave full controll over all relevant dlls to ALL possible users and future users. --> no change.

So, either I'm stupid or your dmddevice.dll just does not work with my windows. I hope it's the first case :-)

Anyway, going to update the firmware of Pin2DMD later tonight. Hope that helps. Not sure what to do if it doesn't. Could help you troubleshoot my problem or just go back to 2.37. I'd gladly help.

Lucky, feel free to move my post over to Pin2DMD support or VPinMAME support. This is not really a VPinMAME SAM Development issue.

You could also try to change the drivers back to libusb-win32 using zadig and try the pindmd2 dmddevice.dll 

Another idea I have that is could be a problem if you are connected to a USB3 port. (which is supported by latest libusb but not by the older version)

I rembember one case where the user had to change bios settings to disable xHCI / eHCI etc to make it work.

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

You could also try to change the drivers back to libusb-win32 using zadig and try the pindmd2 dmddevice.dll 

Another idea I have that is could be a problem if you are connected to a USB3 port. (which is supported by latest libusb but not by the older version)

I rembember one case where the user had to change bios settings to disable xHCI / eHCI etc to make it work.

I tried libusb-win32 in combo with pindmd2 and also winusb with pindmd2. Both combinations did not change anything.

I used latest 2.2 zadig which should have latest libusb, winusb and other in it. I did also change usb ports with no success.

I do ahve xHCI support enabled in my UEFI Bios. Reason: Win7 won't boot without it.

• Content Provider

One other thing I wanted to mention. The new Xdmd.dll's break pinball X dmd image display when scrolling through the wheel.

Is there a new version of pinballX to work with the new xdmd dll's? Also do you also replace those dll's in VP as well?

• Content Provider

I noticed now I had to check the DMD 4 color box inside the config for each  colorized SAM roms  in pinmame to get it to load the pallete and work. In previous versions I had to have that color 4 box unchecked for it to display SAM color roms properly.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, bent98 said:

I noticed now I had to check the DMD 4 color box inside the config for each  colorized SAM roms  in pinmame to get it to load the pallete and work. In previous versions I had to have that color 4 box unchecked for it to display SAM color roms properly.

That is correct. I wanted to have the possibility to change from monochrome to full color from the options panel of pinmame, and since the checkbox is called colorize it seemd logical to me.

Archived