SAM Build with modular DMD drivers for pindmd1,2,3 and PIN2DMD

lucky1

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But i fear that the VP solution is not good enough, as it varies too much now, so people that (ab)used the frame limiter before to get stutterfree play might be disappointed.

Could you please experiment a bit on your setup if the Sleep(0) or __mm_pause() workaround could work, when its only used in VP?

8 hours ago, toxie said:

True, i forgot that you also disabled the >2ms check in your snippet. So if it does not lead to problems so far, why not give it some public tests then? I just did not want to include it into 2.8, as it was not tested yet by a lot of people, and all my reading up on the general topic of putting threads to sleep was a nightmare so far. But you understand all the VPM logic there much better than me by now.  :)

In case of VP it will also not matter, as its sole use is just limiting the framerate at the moment. So i'll change that, too.

That's the plan, once I finish my internal testing.    I also knew we were trying to get the next "stable" release done so I didn't want to introduce anything risky yet.  I also just got a new fast system that I can do some testing on also (good because some people report sound issues with a faster processor).

@toxie @ DJRobX thanks guys , i test it with an A8-6600 in turbo mode and gtx970 , 10 go ddr3 it seems that SMB don't have sounds issues now , it runs perfect , i do some others test with an i5-6600k and gtx750ti 16go ddr4 when it will be functionly , later i think i have so much work at home , thanks again friends , great job ...

Here is the latest universal DmdDevice.dll for monitors and all real DMDs. It has coloring enabled and if you're placing it into System32/SysWOW64 it should recognize VPM's altcolor folders.

EDIT: I think I screwed again something up with the bit length while compiling. Let me fix first and I'll re-post it later.

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, peskopat said:

Just test to the pincab of a friend , with all update , vpm , vp10.2 , b2s and cie , phenom x4 2.8ghz , 6 go ddr3 ... SMb sluttered , why this table has this problem and not others , perhaps it's in the rom , the script , what else ??

I just uploaded a testing version in the first post which uses SINC FAST instead of MEDIUM. Together with setting the sample rate to 32khz in the options (F1) it fixed the smb table for me.

Okay, this should do it.

This version is also more forgiving when parsing the palette file, so PinballMikeD's AC/DC now works. I've also tested with Metallica and Avengers. They look great in color, props to Sharkky and MikeD!

One last addition is that in the altcolor/GameName folder, you can name your palette/animation files like the folder, no need to rename to pin2dmd.pal/fsq.

DmdDevice.dll

• Content Provider
On 12/28/2016 at 2:59 PM, freezy said:

Okay, this should do it.

This version is also more forgiving when parsing the palette file, so PinballMikeD's AC/DC now works. I've also tested with Metallica and Avengers. They look great in color, props to Sharkky and MikeD!

One last addition is that in the altcolor/GameName folder, you can name your palette/animation files like the folder, no need to rename to pin2dmd.pal/fsq.

DmdDevice.dll

I finally got caught up enough to test this out. No patched game code yet, but I did try out the Tron LE palette. I've got it working pretty well via VPM test and finally in-game in both windowed and true FS. Something happened to the hflip and vflip, though. Neither of those seem to work or at least are not picking up the configuration in the global ini. So far, so good. A very nice improvement over VPM with regard to rendering SAM. Thanks a lot for adding virtual DMD support for the rest of us. 

19 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

I finally got caught up enough to test this out. No patched game code yet, but I did try out the Tron LE palette. I've got it working pretty well via VPM test and finally in-game in both windowed and true FS. Something happened to the hflip and vflip, though. Neither of those seem to work or at least are not picking up the configuration in the global ini. So far, so good. A very nice improvement over VPM with regard to rendering SAM. Thanks a lot for adding virtual DMD support for the rest of us. 

Oops you're right, flipping wasn't even enabled for resizable displays such as the virtual DMD. Try the attached build.

DmdDevice.dll

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, freezy said:

Oops you're right, flipping wasn't even enabled for resizable displays such as the virtual DMD. Try the attached build.

DmdDevice.dll

1. Got the flipping. I guess it's a matter of perspective but it looks to me that hflip and vflip are reversed. I had to do hflip for a p2k style cab. With VPM/B2S it requires vflip

2. twd_156h crashed consistently. I tested colorized and not colorized. I used SAMbuild 2.8b01 and also SAMbuild 2.8b which worked with the dmddevice.dll build from 12/28 from earlier in this thread. I tried a non-SAM afm_113b and that did work well. Let me know if there is more information that I can provide. Attached by log and ini if that helps.

For jollies I'll compile a VC2010 build and see if that makes a difference.

DmdDevice.log

DmdDevice.ini

• Content Provider

No difference with a VC2010 build.

Also, flipping is not working with dmdext 1.4.0. I'm still using the three argument option for --virtual-position

Run, %dmdext_Path%\dmdext mirror --source=pinballfx2 --destination=virtual --virtual-hide-grip --virtual-position 5760 400 1600 --flip-y -q,, Hide

On 12/31/2016 at 3:07 AM, CarnyPriest said:

1. Got the flipping. I guess it's a matter of perspective but it looks to me that hflip and vflip are reversed. I had to do hflip for a p2k style cab. With VPM/B2S it requires vflip

2. twd_156h crashed consistently. I tested colorized and not colorized. I used SAMbuild 2.8b01 and also SAMbuild 2.8b which worked with the dmddevice.dll build from 12/28 from earlier in this thread. I tried a non-SAM afm_113b and that did work well. Let me know if there is more information that I can provide. Attached by log and ini if that helps.

For jollies I'll compile a VC2010 build and see if that makes a difference.

DmdDevice.log

DmdDevice.ini

I couldn't reproduce a crash with the VPM I had installed. I then updated to SAMbuild28b02 and it crashed. However it crashed when external DMD was disabled, so I don't think it's a dmddevice.dll issue. I also didn't receive any crash report the last 3 days. I'm not entirely sure which VPM version I was running before, but I think it might have been 2.8 from Dec 27.

About flip direction: I thought indicating the axis would be the most logical, but it seems that I'm in the minority here. I'll switch the params on occasion.

• Content Provider
43 minutes ago, freezy said:

I couldn't reproduce a crash with the VPM I had installed. I then updated to SAMbuild28b02 and it crashed. However it crashed when external DMD was disabled, so I don't think it's a dmddevice.dll issue. I also didn't receive any crash report the last 3 days. I'm not entirely sure which VPM version I was running before, but I think it might have been 2.8 from Dec 27.

About flip direction: I thought indicating the axis would be the most logical, but it seems that I'm in the minority here. I'll switch the params on occasion.

dmddevice.dll -

I don't recall why I typed twd_156h. I was really testing trn_174h. I only enabled Use external DMD for this one game code set and not the global defaults. I got it working using Setup -> Test in SAMbuild28b01 but it crashes the table in-game. AFM works in-game. It's weird if we are isolating on sam.c driver. Their was no change in code between 2.8b and 2.8b01 aside from adding some new titles. Recall that the same 2.8b worked in-game with the dll from 12/28, except for the lack of flipping, and crashes in-game with the dll from 12/30.

Lots of different versions floating around lately. I'll go back and double check again just to make sure my report is correct.

I know what you mean on the flipping definition. It's a matter of semantics. It would probably be less hassle in the long run to follow along with the definition used by MAME/VPinMAME and B2S where it is about what happens to the image instead of which axis you rotate around. Took me a few minutes to get over my confusion in any case.

• Content Provider

Hmm, I swear that I was getting in-game play with trn_174h and 2.8b and the dll from 12/28 just no flipping. Now, I am having trouble reproducing that scenario. Pretty sure, I had set the ini back the way I had it initially. I had changed all external DMD except for virtual to false so that it would not search for them, but even the Setup -> Test was not working. Setting all to true at least got the Test display working again, but again VP player is crashing more often than not. I was able to get it to load in-game a time or two by not loading the backglass but even that was not consistent.

Is there a recommended install procedure? Should it go into Windows/SysWOW64? Does it need to be registered?

It will help, I think, that there has not been any bugfix releases in a little while. If we can just call 28b02 final, final then at least we can start working from the same place again.

No, it doesn't need to be registered. However, I noticed that for PM5 I needed to copy dmddevice.dll into SysWOW64. Then you'll also need to copy the config files there and the .ini can't be updated automatically because you'd need admin permissions. Also, in this case, update DmdDevice.Log.config to log somewhere where no admin permissions are required if you want a log.

Archived