DOF toy layout question

BorgDog

• Content Provider

Just about to start getting my DOF put together (finally) and was wondering what the best layout would be for my scenario.  I plan on doing the 10 solenoid setup, but where I am going to be somewhat different is that my 2 flippers, the 2 slings and 3 bumpers will be actual flipper, sling and bumper mechs.  I figure you can't get more real simulation than using the real things, and these will be all from Gottlieb system 1 machines which use 25V DC so should work very well at the 24V DC I'm going to give them (along with Gottlieb chimes, knocker and 5" bell from same era).  

My question specifically is with the real bumper mechs, should I set them up as the back bumpers or the middle bumpers?  I will be using the small 12V solenoids from ebay for the other 3, but which would be better to have the actual bumpers on?  I'm mostly playing EM and early SS tables.  

I'm guessing there may be no one best answer and I'll likely end up doing my own configs for tables to get the bumpers on the bumpers.  Or would just an 8 config work better if I am going to do a lot of custom configs anyway?  or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

• Content Provider

hey dan,
i recommend 10 contactors for anyone, 8 config is still there to support users who didn't migrate to 10, which is a much better separation of the events on the playfields
and if you can't do pwm on your mech or they are too powerful for targets and drop targets, put the intensity and duration of them to 0 in the port assignment page of the configtool and put sound only in the targets and drop targets of the controller options, to disable feedback on them and just display their sounds

• Content Provider

OK, that sounds good, but should I put the real bumper mechs on the back bumper configs or the middle bumper?  what would things like kick holes and such use?  which ever "bumper" is closest to their table position?

Archived