ST32 Black Edition: Error connecting ST Link

mgpasman

I recently acquired two new PIN2DMD units, this time based on the ST32 Black Edition board. With both of them, I seem to have a problem connecting to the ST Link tool (in order to upgrade firmware, install wifi etc.). I connect it using the mini USB cable, my laptop detects a device (PIN2DMD). Then I proceed to start the ST Link tool, select "Connect", only to get an error that the device is not found.

I reinstalled the USB drivers from the master zip, rebooted the machine, same result. Tried both the normal STLink tool (004) as the one used to program correct firmware (007).

When I connect the display using the power supply, it lits up fine, shows the startup logo, device ID, so everything seems OK there.

• Content Provider

You can´t use the ST-Link tool with the boards from Luis unless you have a ST-Link dongle or use the ST-Link.of a Discovery board.

ST-Link is the debugging interface which is not integrated in the boards from Luis.

You have to use the DFU util instead

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-programmers/stsw-stm32080.html

To use it you have to connect the USB connector and put the board into DFU boot mode switching DIP2 to off before powering it up.

Now you can upload the firmware using DFUSeDemo. Firmware must be in DFU file format.

You can either use the dfu from github or create your own from a .bin file using DFU File Manager with address offset 0x08000000.

12 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

You can´t use the ST-Link tool with the boards from Luis unless you have a ST-Link dongle or use the ST-Link.of a Discovery board.

ST-Link is the debugging interface which is not integrated in the boards from Luis.

You have to use the DFU util instead

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-programmers/stsw-stm32080.html

To use it you have to connect the USB connector and put the board into DFU boot mode switching DIP2 to off before powering it up.

Now you can upload the firmware using DFUSeDemo. Firmware must be in DFU file format.

You can either use the dfu from github or create your own from a .bin file using DFU File Manager with address offset 0x08000000.

Aha, I was missing this little nugget of information, thanks!

Maybe update the info on pin2dmd.com accordingly?

Luis has also been very patient in helping me :).

The interesting thing is that most people (well, at least I do) consider pin2dmd.com the main source of all instructions. It used to be so simple when there was just your firmware and Rappelbox' hardware, and it's becoming more difficult with all the difference in boards (most of which you choose to support anyway, because you were kind enough to provide firmware in .dfu format, and master.zip comes with the ESP programmer too).

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I keep on supporting pin2dmd ;).

Archived