Introducing the all new PIN2DMD / GO-DMD V3 Shield

lucky1

• Content Provider

Here are the first pictures of the all new blue V3 shield for pin2dmd and go-dmd. Compared to the V2 shield it supports all implemented features of the latest pin2dmd firmware and has the following improvements:

- piggyback mounting to P2.5 panels with bottom connector
- onboard wifi module esp12 or esp01
- RS232 serial interface for connection to subdevices actived by a dmd keyframe event e.g. playing additional animation content on a Topper display matching the current playstate of your game. Also for serial side channel palette switching
- real-time-clock module for go-dmd clock (www.go-dmd.de)
- onboard temperature and humidity sensor (dht11) for go-dmd cock
- connector for IR and motion sensor for go-dmd-clock
- signal enhancer for real pinball input
- Menu and Option button for onscreen menu

The pictures are from the prototype. Still need to do some testing.

The board will be available soon.

IMG_7090.JPGIMG_7091.JPGIMG_7092.JPGIMG_7093.JPGIMG_7094.JPGIMG_7097.JPG

• Content Provider

Since from my side pin2dmd is a DIY project I don't sell hardware . Rappelbox, pinballsp or others take care of that. The color bleeding problem has either to be solved by the panel manufactures or you use the DIY solution I described in the thread. Maybe the hardware providers.above can help you with that .also.

• Content Provider

I have successfully finished testing all the functions of the V3 shield with PIN2DMD and goDMD and made some
final changes. Of course you may only solder the submodules you want / need depending on what you want to do.
For VPIN usage for example you can leave out the RTC modul, the Wifi module, the DHT11 and the 2 ICs
to save some money and add them later when you need them.

For all DIYers I uploaded the gerber files necessary to order the PCBs from your favorite manufacturer.

For my prototype PCBs I used this one
http://www.elecrow.com/services/pcb-prototyping/10pcs-2-layer-pcb.html

Upload is here

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/hardware

• 1 month later...

huh. so it shouldn't matter for WPC or WPC95 real pinball input? What about gottlieb? What about Whitestar? Should the V2 work fine for all of those? I don't have any Stern SAM or SPIKE games anyway but I plan to use these in a real pinball. Thank you very much for your help!

• 2 years later...
  • Content Provider

You don´t need the tiny RTC module, DHT11, ESP wifi module and DC power jack
Make sure you solder a wire bridge between pin2 and pin3 of the enhancer (EN)
insteadof the 3pins pinheader

• Content Provider

Although the STM32F407 Discovery board is still supported it is recommended for new installations to use the STM32F429ZI Nucleo-144 board with the V4 shield for DIY PIN2DMD installations. It has become harder to get original Discovery F4 boards and a lot of cheap chinese copies are floating around which cause problems. Additionally the V4 shield has been designed from scratch and therefore is more future proof.

Here is a good doc on how to build a Nucleo V4 based pin2dmd

Archived