Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

If you scroll back you'll see I spent quite a bit of time on that issue.   Outside of the VS2010 build there is not much more I can do I"m afraid.

If you can share details about your system and configuration it would be helpful. 

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2016 at 11:40 PM, DJRobX said:

Hi Toxie,

I tried my build, Carny's build, and your beta VPM build.   Pistol Poker works fine on all of them for me.   I even checked R01 and R02 of the ROM.   All good.

What CPU and OS are you using?

Super mario will loop if your CPU isn't quite keeping up.   I exposed a new setting in the VPinmame registry you can try disabling.   Just run the attached .reg file.   If you are using ddraw=0 keep in mind that the newer VPM builds need a LOT more cpu than they used to. 

lltoff.zip

Hi,

I executed the reg file but it changed nothing, unfortunately super mario 3 still has sound loop issues. What was the registry setting you changed, in case I can revert back ? 
My configuration is a bit old but it still runs fine all VP10 tables at this point - it's a AMD Phenom II (X4 2.6Ghz) proc, 4Gb Ram, GTX 750 TI. (Win 7 64bit)

thanks !

Are you using ddraw=1 or ddraw=0? 

If the reg file had no effect, that means your issue doesn't have anything to do with the recent changes I introduced to reduce flipper latency (good, sort of...).    I also haven't messed around with GTS3 at all (at least not up until yesterday).    This probably won't be an easy problem to solve.   There must be some sort of timing sensitive bug somewhere.    VS2010 compiling isn't a real fix, somewhere we need to identify and fix the real issue.   It's just difficult when it doesn't reproduce for me.    

The reg file contains:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame\globals]
"low_latency_throttle"=dword:00000000

The default is 1.   You can just delete that key and let VPM recreate it.    

Have you tried turning vsync on in the VPM registry?  That eliminates the software throttling completely.   It can create other kinds of timing problems but it would be interesting to see what the effect is on your system. 

Hey guys, I have updated all the files on page 1 posted here and am getting this VPINMAME error just as the TWD LE table launches. “No DMD device driver found”. Same error for any table in VP9 or 10.

So no DMD is launching. I have updated to VPM 2.8. When I revert back to the old VPM dll file 2.7 everything works fine with non LE tables in VP10.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

On 12/18/2016 at 9:49 AM, jesperpark said:

@DJRobX 

Are you going to implement Pinsound back into your builds?  I miss it for Tommy and a few other tables.  If not is there a way i can turn the support back on easily?

Thanks for all your hard work!

Yep it's added to the current rev.    I had to do a bit of refactoring to make it work in Visual Studio 2010 so we'd have both PinSound and stutter-free audio on some systems, but as far as I could tell it was working fine. 

55 minutes ago, paulohotline said:

Hey guys, I have updated all the files on page 1 posted here and am getting this VPINMAME error just as the TWD LE table launches. “No DMD device driver found”. Same error for any table in VP9 or 10.

So no DMD is launching. I have updated to VPM 2.8. When I revert back to the old VPM dll file 2.7 everything works fine with non LE tables in VP10.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

This sounds like something you'll want to check out Lucky's thread for.     I don't supply DMD device drivers, so if you have PinDMD support turned on, you need his DLL.   Once you have his modular device driver it will work with any of the new VPM builds. 

On 17/12/2016 at 7:48 PM, DJRobX said:

Are you using ddraw=1 or ddraw=0? 

If the reg file had no effect, that means your issue doesn't have anything to do with the recent changes I introduced to reduce flipper latency (good, sort of...).    I also haven't messed around with GTS3 at all (at least not up until yesterday).    This probably won't be an easy problem to solve.   There must be some sort of timing sensitive bug somewhere.    VS2010 compiling isn't a real fix, somewhere we need to identify and fix the real issue.   It's just difficult when it doesn't reproduce for me.    

The reg file contains:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame\globals]
"low_latency_throttle"=dword:00000000

The default is 1.   You can just delete that key and let VPM recreate it.    

Have you tried turning vsync on in the VPM registry?  That eliminates the software throttling completely.   It can create other kinds of timing problems but it would be interesting to see what the effect is on your system. 

thanks for the suggestions. I'm using ddraw=1 (I run VPX in windowed fullscreen, using a PIN2DMD device).
Regarding vsync, do you mean "waitvsync" in the supermario rom registry of vpinmame, or some other parameter ? I tried to change waitvsync but it didn't work, I couldn't find a "vsync" in the global parameters of vpinmame registry.

thanks !

Hello all and Merry Christmas..

I'm having problems getting the latest version of VPM to work for me......specifically the latest version 121616 and the previous version 120616-2010. Once installed in the cabinet I cannot launch and play the most recent tables like Gilligans Island and Medieval Madness. The tables load but when I press the credit key or the start keys on the cabinet there is no response and the image of the table just remains displayed on the playfield monitor. I always have to revert back to the version of VPM that has been working for me which is 102416b. This is the version that I needed to get Frens Star Trek up and running. I think it was needed to get the BG to display IIRC.

I am running the latest 10.2 version 2877

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I haven't seen anyone else having this problem. I need to get it resolved as I think moving forward it will become required to run the latest VPM to take advantage of all the great new features.

Thanks much!

4 hours ago, Johngreve said:

I'm having problems getting the latest version of VPM to work for me......specifically the latest version 121616 and the previous version 120616-2010. Once installed in the cabinet I cannot launch and play the most recent tables like Gilligans Island and Medieval Madness.

Are you using true fullscreen mode?   If you are, go back to windowed fullscreen temporarily.   You may be getting an error dialog that you can't see.   If you are using B2S be sure and update with the one in the first post on the thread. 

More details about your setup and configuration would be helpful also.

8 hours ago, firebrand007 said:

Regarding vsync, do you mean "waitvsync" in the supermario rom registry of vpinmame, or some other parameter ? I tried to change waitvsync but it didn't

Yes, waitvsync.   Since you're using a Pin2DMD I'm not exactly sure what will happen.    Do you still have this problem if you use VPM with its internal display?   I don't know what performance implications Pin2DMD has.   I don't see any issues on my cab with freezy's virtual external DMD, though.

1 hour ago, DJRobX said:

5 hours ago, Johngreve said:

I'm having problems getting the latest version of VPM to work for me......specifically the latest version 121616 and the previous version 120616-2010. Once installed in the cabinet I cannot launch and play the most recent tables like Gilligans Island and Medieval Madness.

Are you using true fullscreen mode?   If you are, go back to windowed fullscreen temporarily.   You may be getting an error dialog that you can't see.   If you are using B2S be sure and update with the one in the first post on the thread. 

Yes I am using true full screen mode.......I'll do as you suggest and report back. I did already update the b2s server last week and since doing that I no longer get those "unexpected errors occurred " like I was prior. Thanks very much for that update.?

What additional setup and configuration details do you need . I'd be happy to let you know...just am unsure what details you need. I'm running Windows 7 32 bit 4 gigs of ram. The latest 10.2 beta build ver2877. I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to this stuff.?

19 hours ago, DJRobX said:

Yep it's added to the current rev.    I had to do a bit of refactoring to make it work in Visual Studio 2010 so we'd have both PinSound and stutter-free audio on some systems, but as far as I could tell it was working fine. 

This sounds like something you'll want to check out Lucky's thread for.     I don't supply DMD device drivers, so if you have PinDMD support turned on, you need his DLL.   Once you have his modular device driver it will work with any of the new VPM builds. 

Thanks for the help! Adding dmddevice.dll for pinDMDv2 in my vpinmame directory fixed the error with VPM 2.8. Playing TWD LE in all its glory on my cabinet now!

Thanks Djrobx, unfortunately no luck with waitvsync and using vpinmame instead of pin2dmd didn't change anything either.  
I still think that the problem is linked to the latest vpinmame versions since it started happening when I updated vpx & vpm, but the issue remains with vpx10.1.... I think I ruled out v1.3 (recent release) of the SMB table after trying with 1.2 (,which I had initially) and that the problem was now also present on 1.2), but it seems I deleted that old version and can't try again. 

1 hour ago, jesperpark said:

@johngreve

Can you play any games, or is it just the new ones giving you troubles?

Just a thought make sure to check you pinmame.dll is unblocked.

Ok,I went back to to a smaller playfield screen temporarily and there was indeed an error dialog box. It said " No DMD Device Driver Found" so that was great advice DJROBX! Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to find the correct device driver. My setup has two monitors and the real DMD display. Not the third monitor. I did see some references above to someone else also needing the DMD driver. Can anyone point me in the right direction? At least I'm making progress here. I'm going to look into the thread a bit here for hopefully the answer. Also wondering why I suddenly need drivers for the lates version of VPM to work. Have never had a problem till now. I apologize for knowing next to nothing about all of this. Thanks for your patience and help.

You have the same issue as Paulohotline.   Go here 

And pick up Lucky's VpinMame.   Inside it there are different folders with different dmddevice.dll for four different real DMD devices.    Copy the DmdDevice.dll that matches your hardware to your VPM folder.     Once you have that, all of the newer VPMs (even mine) will work. 

Lucky1 made changes to the external DMD support to make it modular, to support a bigger variety of hardware without needing to modify VPM

1 hour ago, jesperpark said:

@johngreve

Can you play any games, or is it just the new ones giving you troubles?

Just a thought make sure to check you pinmame.dll is unblocked.

Ok......still learning how to add previous posts in quotes here too,but think I have it finally figured out.

I did go back to a smaller playfield image and there was indeed an error dialog box which said "No DMD Device Driver found". I believe that's the root of my problem. Not really sure why all of a sudden I need a new DMD driver with the new VPM but I see that I'm not the only one here in that boat. Maybe if I research the thread some more there will be some clarity there for me.

Jerperpark....this issue pretty much affects all of my Pinmame tables.

So thanks for the great advice DJROBX! I would  not have thought of looking for an error box under the playfield on my own.

If anyone can point to me to the necessary driver that worked for them I'd be most grateful. I have a two monitor setup with an actual pinball DMD display.I don't really know if the requirement are different than a three monitor setup.

1 hour ago, Johngreve said:

If anyone can point to me to the necessary driver that worked for them I'd be most grateful. I have a two monitor setup with an actual pinball DMD display.I don't really know if the requirement are different than a three monitor setup.

I posted a link to Lucky's thread.  You'll find the files there.   This board software makes links to other threads so fancy that they don't look like links.   I'm attaching the file from his first post to make it easier.

There are 4 possibilities (PinDMD v1, v2, v3 and Pin2DMD), you can just try each one until you find the one that works. 

vpinmame_sam_2.45_DMDDevice.zip

Archived