Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

• Content Provider
14 hours ago, DJRobX said:

Yes, ACDC and metallica LE are definitely sending extra lights that the new VPMs pick up.  

I went back to older releases, latest release working for me is 110816.

I can't see any lampnumber above 80 with later versions.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ninuzzu said:

I went back to older releases, latest release working for me is 110816.

I can't see any lampnumber above 80 with later versions.

OK, thanks, I will check it out and fix in the next build.    You can do your development against the 11-08 version, nothing will move.   I had done some fixes for TWD that probably disrupted these tables.   I didn't notice because I don't have tables to test with yet. ;)

Hey DJR and anyone else involved with the new builds... I wanted to make a humble suggestion.  

There are an increasing amount of posts and questions on the other two sites about errors related to not having the newest experimental B2S and VPM builds from this thread... especially with VPF's rules about not linking to this site (and the growing size of this thread), it's getting increasingly difficult to direct people to the right files.

Would it be possible to start posting the latest B2S and VPM builds in the OP, or maybe starting a new thread to post them in the OP?  If not, I completely understand as it is more hassle for you guys, but I thought it might be easier to get people to the files they need for some of the newer tables.

Thanks for considering.

Guys, tonight I was testing out Gilligan's Island and I noticed that if I enabled Vsync, rom sounds were perfect. With Vsync off, I got lots of looping audio and a bit of crunchy distortion.

I came to this thread only about two weeks ago, so not sure if relationship between Vsync and DJRobX's vpinmame improvements has been covered previously. 

7 hours ago, benlogan said:

Guys, tonight I was testing out Gilligan's Island and I noticed that if I enabled Vsync, rom sounds were perfect. With Vsync off, I got lots of looping audio and a bit of crunchy distortion.

I came to this thread only about two weeks ago, so not sure if relationship between Vsync and DJRobX's vpinmame improvements has been covered previously. 

How to activate vsync ? it happens if you use the last vpinmame.dll (211116) and the last vp rev 2847 ?

14 hours ago, Drybonz said:

Hey DJR and anyone else involved with the new builds... I wanted to make a humble suggestion.  

There are an increasing amount of posts and questions on the other two sites about errors related to not having the newest experimental B2S and VPM builds from this thread... especially with VPF's rules about not linking to this site (and the growing size of this thread), it's getting increasingly difficult to direct people to the right files.

Would it be possible to start posting the latest B2S and VPM builds in the OP, or maybe starting a new thread to post them in the OP?  If not, I completely understand as it is more hassle for you guys, but I thought it might be easier to get people to the files they need for some of the newer tables.

Thanks for considering.

I wanted to wait with a new official build until the sound stuttering issues are sorted out again.

5 hours ago, toxie said:

I wanted to wait with a new official build until the sound stuttering issues are sorted out again.

Yes this.   We're down to minor tweaks at this point.    I have an additional B2S fix for a ChangedLEDs issue that Fren pointed out to me yesterday also.    SwissLizard has also seemingly returned from hiatus, so the DOF component can get officially updated as well.

Vsync may be a workaround but it should not be required.  I'll be able to do more testing tonight and then upload something for you guys to test soon.   When I post it, please turn Vsync back off and confirm operation without it.  

If this build still causes problems, I'll make the additional time syncs an optional feature (off by default).  Then people who want better flipper latency can just turn it on.   I don't think it will be necessary though, but we'll find out when I post the build. ;)

22 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

As another data point, I've got the smb3 sound looping issue as well with v2.44.

i5, 3570k @ 3.4GHz, 8Gb DDR3 dual channel

GTX 660, 2Gb

smb3.reg.txt

Thanks for including that reg export.    You have a fast processor, however, are using ddraw=0 and a very large DMD (1610x407), so you get impacted in a similar way to people with slower CPUs.   That's similar to how I've been testing the issue myself on a faster system, so hopefully the new build will fix. 

Thank you for the encouragement guys, it's really appreciated.    OK, as promised here is a build to test.

1) Timing calculations tweaked.   After rigorous testing I no longer see any attempts to throttle if there is not enough CPU to warrant it.  

2) Post the actual build that I did testing against on the same machine!  :)

3) In case #1 still fails, there is now an option in the registry:

freeware\visual vpinmame\globals\low_latency_throttle

Set to 0 to stop it from trying to evenly distribute the CPU usage.

4) Since I was adding a setting, why not add one more.  I noticed a few people are trying to nail down ball stutter issues and are trying to use CPU affinity tools.   There is merit to that approach as I've found some documented cases of timing problems ("sleep" lasting much longer than typical) when the OS switches threads around different CPUs that are solved by locking a thread to a single core.    One problem is tools can't separate VPM from VP since they're one application.    So we really need some help from the applications themselves if we want to dedicate these separate processes to their own cores.   So you can find a new setting:

freeware\visual vpinmame\globals\cpu_affinity_mask

Please note that it is a "mask'.   So if you want CPU #1 only, set it to 1..   CPU #4 only is 8.    CPU's 1 and 4 is 9, etc.     To get full use of this we will want a similar setting on the VP side.  I have a simple code patch for that that I will give the VP devs.    I also have added a setting to B2S so we can separate these things without external tools. 

5) Fix Metallica LE and ACDC LE led strings.

Let me know how it goes.

vpm112716.zip

So, I just took the 112716 build for a spin with Scared Stiff.  I don't know if this is helpful at all since I really wasn't noticing problems before, but everything seems flawless to me.  The only thing I really notice is that the coin sound (oh yeah!) at the beginning is very low volume, but it has always been that way for me with any version of VPM.  For everything else, I notice no stutter or looping.  If there is more info I can add or specific ways I can test that would be of more use, please just let me know.  Thanks again.

Except for the problem reported by Dozer and Ginsonic above I can report back that the sound emulation for the previous mentioned trouble roms seems to be all fixed.

Even T2 it seems. Played T2 for a good half hour without any distortion at all. Tried to switch between low_latency_throttle, just for good measure. No issues.

I don't experience any ball  stutter or lag myself, so, we should get someone else to test your affinity fixes - sounds like a very nice feature indeed.

I'm sure that is a minor error on your side that has led to SAM emulation not working for this build.  Awesome !!

Archived