Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi DJRobx, 

Thanks for your works it's amazing !

I make some colorizations of stern rom and I have some frames detections's problem on vpinmame with pinball browser

For exemple with the same project of startrek pro colorisation  :

With vpinmame I have some bugs  :

But on real pinball with serial channel it works fine (thanks to Lucky who has tested on his real pinball)

Look at 1"10

I wonder if you can make the UART2 implementation in vpinmame to use serial channel which will correct this problem

If you can do it it will be fantastic for the rom colorization

Thanks a lot

There is no issue with the USART2 implementation.    If you play with it you'll find you DO get the initial "Com patch initialized!" and SOME Pxx updates.    If the code writes to USART2, you get it.    There is something up with the way the frame detection works that isn't playing nicely with emulation     There's some really strange stuff going on, like self modifying code that breaks JIT. 

To be brutally honest, my motivation to fix that issue isn't at the top of my priority list, since colorization doesn't work in VPinMame itself.   It's pretty crappy that I have a color LCD and none of this cool colorized stuff works for me.   :)  That's not to say I won't fix it eventually.    As I told Lucky, if someone had details as to exactly how the patch works it would be really helpful.   

9 hours ago, DJRobX said:

To be brutally honest, my motivation to fix that issue isn't at the top of my priority list, since colorization doesn't work in VPinMame itself.   It's pretty crappy that I have a color LCD and none of this cool colorized stuff works for me.   :)  That's not to say I won't fix it eventually.    As I told Lucky, if someone had details as to exactly how the patch works it would be really helpful.   

I'm also curious why full colorization hasn't been implemented into vp yet. Colordmd is actually an LCD screen, and once Batman goes into production no companies even use dmds anymore. I colorized all the standard vp dmd's already, but it's not the same as those full color ones.

Here's an updated video of the Mustang game with the new PWM flasher implementation.

You can see the fade effect at the start of each ball launch up the back right of the table (skillshot flasher) and also toward the end of the video when the two rear and under turntable bumper flashers start to pulse.

The table has been shipped off to Dark who is going to convert the ramps to proper 3D objects so that will really take it up a couple of notches.

I can also confirm that the PWM solenoid gradients work with DOF as well so you can finally get the proper flasher effects on devices controlled by DOF.   Being that solenoids are generally not RGB, you need to configure the ini files with entries that span this 3 inputs for an RGB light like so -  (For a white flasher controlled by solenoid 30 you would do - S30 NoBool, S30 NoBool, S30 NoBool) which will turn Red / Green and Blue on to create white.    (For Yellow - S30 NoBool, S30 NoBool, 0 ) - (For Blue - 0,0,S30 NoBool ) etc.

11 hours ago, PinballShawn said:

I'm also curious why full colorization hasn't been implemented into vp yet. Colordmd is actually an LCD screen, and once Batman goes into production no companies even use dmds anymore. I colorized all the standard vp dmd's already, but it's not the same as those full color ones.

Would you mind sharing your colorizations with me? I have some, but certainly not all.

Looks like PinSound (soundmode 2/external pinsound) doesn't work anymore with vpm101816c, earlier versions are probably affected too. Went back to an older official version, with this it works w/o issues.

Will test more tomorrow.

Edit: Tested ROM stwr_a14

• Content Provider
10 hours ago, ViriiGuy said:

Would you mind sharing your colorizations with me? I have some, but certainly not all.

Some links in this thread. Looks like the one posted for PinballShawn is dead. If he is willing, I can stick the collection in Dropbox and repost here. There are some that I use. I also use some from open6l.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=35568

10 hours ago, ViriiGuy said:

I posted them on vpf, but I'll have to pull the numbers again since the time I posted them I changed my dmd contrast and some other settings. Since I use compact display (no dots) bright colors had a tendency to make the whole screen 'glow' a little, for lack of a better word.

Here is an example, although in the video it's hard to see the contrast between white and yellow, but in pefson it's very pronounced.

• Content Provider
14 hours ago, DozerAUS said:

Here's an updated video of the Mustang game with the new PWM flasher implementation.

You can see the fade effect at the start of each ball launch up the back right of the table (skillshot flasher) and also toward the end of the video when the two rear and under turntable bumper flashers start to pulse.

The table has been shipped off to Dark who is going to convert the ramps to proper 3D objects so that will really take it up a couple of notches.

I can also confirm that the PWM solenoid gradients work with DOF as well so you can finally get the proper flasher effects on devices controlled by DOF.   Being that solenoids are generally not RGB, you need to configure the ini files with entries that span this 3 inputs for an RGB light like so -  (For a white flasher controlled by solenoid 30 you would do - S30 NoBool, S30 NoBool, S30 NoBool) which will turn Red / Green and Blue on to create white.    (For Yellow - S30 NoBool, S30 NoBool, 0 ) - (For Blue - 0,0,S30 NoBool ) etc.

It's so subtle but it looks amazing... 

New update:

WPC modulated solenoid support.  I've only tested it on Scared Stiff so far but it seems to work pretty well.  

I'm also going to include my badly modified table, which is a mod of an apparently abandoned table by Shoopity.   If someone has an issue with me posting this table please let me know and I'll happily remove it, it's just hard to explain/share how the new feature works without it. .   Remember folks, I don't know what I'm doing with VP, but the light show looks pretty close to what I saw on videos. 

WPC is quite a bit trickier to get right.   It doesn't write to solenoids in a predictable pattern like SAM.   Instead I poll the current status of the soleniods at specific intervals (every few IRQ calls, around 400hz) and collect the bit history there.  I must have spent all day looking for the best sampling frequency, and history depth to get mid-brightness dimming to look stable.   The best example is the pop bumpers.  When you hit them the ROM will make an electric buzzing noise, then fade them up and down.   If the timing is at all wrong they will flicker.    What I have is the best compromise between stable brightness levels and speedy "flickering" that I could come up with.   Pretty happy with the result, anyway.  I had no idea what I was missing before. 

ssmodsol.zip

vpm102016c.zip

Followup on PinSound (soundmode 2/external pinsound):

Soundmode 2 doesn't work on any of Rob's builds. However it does work on all of Carny's builds (tested 2.37-240) and on Toxie's latest build from the vpforums VPM 2.8 thread.

So I guess it's nothing to worry about.

• Content Provider
52 minutes ago, SirCheddar said:

Followup on PinSound (soundmode 2/external pinsound):

Soundmode 2 doesn't work on any of Rob's builds. However it does work on all of Carny's builds (tested 2.37-240) and on Toxie's latest build from the vpforums VPM 2.8 thread.

So I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Yeah, those PinSound features have to be engaged in the preprocessor definitions in the compiler. Let's not deal with those right now.

• Content Provider
18 hours ago, DJRobX said:

New update:

WPC modulated solenoid support.  I've only tested it on Scared Stiff so far but it seems to work pretty well.  

I'm also going to include my badly modified table, which is a mod of an apparently abandoned table by Shoopity.   If someone has an issue with me posting this table please let me know and I'll happily remove it, it's just hard to explain/share how the new feature works without it. .   Remember folks, I don't know what I'm doing with VP, but the light show looks pretty close to what I saw on videos. 

WPC is quite a bit trickier to get right.   It doesn't write to solenoids in a predictable pattern like SAM.   Instead I poll the current status of the soleniods at specific intervals (every few IRQ calls, around 400hz) and collect the bit history there.  I must have spent all day looking for the best sampling frequency, and history depth to get mid-brightness dimming to look stable.   The best example is the pop bumpers.  When you hit them the ROM will make an electric buzzing noise, then fade them up and down.   If the timing is at all wrong they will flicker.    What I have is the best compromise between stable brightness levels and speedy "flickering" that I could come up with.   Pretty happy with the result, anyway.  I had no idea what I was missing before. 

ssmodsol.zip

vpm102016c.zip

Wow! Impressive lightshow on Scared Stiff!

1 hour ago, Jodannar said:

I had B2Sthrow an exception regarding DOF and disable it when using the updated PinMame dll and solenoid mod scared stiff. Other tables do not throw the error.

It does it on most back glasses with this new VPM. The B2S server breaks because it doesn't understand the gradients it is seeing.   We need to get the source code, has anyone asked Herweh for it?

Archived