Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

14 hours ago, benlogan said:

I'm thankful for DJRobX's work every time I look at a DMD in truefullscreen mode -- no more big blank bars! :)

Well, we have a lot more to thank him for. But, I prefer not to single out any of the devs. As I see it they have a very healthy relationship - really working hard trying to please the community. A community that also is giving them something back ( Pssst - they love to play pinball as well ) by table creations, back-glasses, DOF adjustments, mods .... etc. ... etc  ... in a quality that I didn't believe was possible only a year back. 

I'm baffled by the activity that is always seems to be going on. Just right now I feel there is a hotspot around B2S, Color DMD and maybe the new found "bug". In a couple of weeks it is probably something else. I'm so happy and grateful for everyone's work and I hope that I some day soon will also be able to participate in the contributing part of VP.

Thank you all !

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just looking at the lighting on some of the recently updated tables that are taking advantage of the modulated lighting... just wanted to stop by and say, again, thanks for all the work that's going on here... all the improvements are appreciated.

18 hours ago, Thalamus said:

A community that also is giving them something back ( Pssst - they love to play pinball as well ) by table creations, back-glasses, DOF adjustments, mods .... etc. ... etc  ... in a quality that I didn't believe was possible only a year back. 

Yep, that's exactly right.    

The contributors of this community are super impressive.   Best example was when I was working on the LE RGB lights.   I had finally figured out how to get the data, but I had a lot of work ahead of me to move that data into something VP could use, and I badly needed a diagnostic table,    I made a post about it one evening.   By the time I woke up the next morning, GTXJoe had created a test table, and Toxie provided some skeleton code.   Those things would have taken me weeks to sort out.   I don't think I've ever had such excellent support, even in my professional development career where people are getting paid!   Once I finally had a test build, Fren ran with it and made that freaking amazing ST:LE table.    Incredible teamwork.

Such support definitely helps motivate me to keep going..   And of course nothing makes me happier than seeing all the great tables that utilize the new features like TWD LE, Mustang LE, Metallica LE, Scared Stiff, and forthcoming tables like AC/DC LE.  I've been enjoying VP for a long time and I'm glad I found a niche where I could give something of significant value back. 

• Content Provider

I concur. I appreciate everyone time and efforts!!

Is there any possibly of figuring out how to  emulate SPIKE or is that like wishful thinking?

I saw Tom Tower is making a really sweet Ghostbusters table and I assume its with XDMD. When I watched the video, I thought it was the real machine.

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/forums/topic/ghostbuster-stern-vpx/page/6/

32 minutes ago, bent98 said:

I concur. I appreciate everyone time and efforts!!

Is there any possibly of figuring out how to  emulate SPIKE or is that like wishful thinking?

I saw Tom Tower is making a really sweet Ghostbusters table and I assume its with XDMD. When I watched the video, I thought it was the real machine.

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/forums/topic/ghostbuster-stern-vpx/page/6/

That table is remarkable. I assume it will need to be custom coded like the work Daryl did on his Stern Kiss table.

http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/kiss-stern-2105tribute

As a sidenote, it's nice to see non-VPM tables being done with VPX instead of FP.    

That Ghostbusters table does look very sweet.

I'd say emulation is probably possible but it will probably take a lot of time.   I think the starting point will be when someone to gets a dump of the SD card in the machine.   Unlike older SAM, the game code updates only update game code - but would be better to have the whole OS image.   I think some folks have already started picking at the game code update format too.    The CPU is a lot faster than SAM, so getting it to perform well could be another hurdle, especially for the newer games with LCD screens.   We also don't know what, if any protections/encryptions Stern might have in place to hinder emulation.  

1 hour ago, bent98 said:

I am waiting for my Ghostbusters Premium to get delivered in the next month so let me know if I can help.

Very nice! I've driven long distances to play that machine... last time was an hour just to get there and have the left scoop not functioning properly. I still dumped a bunch of money it :). I wonder if your machine would take the LE code so a dump of that image could be used too.. I think Tom's machine is the LE version.

• Content Provider

This is the link.  It has been updated somewhat to try to accommodate modulated flashers.  

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84075840/metallica-LE - mwr.vpx

Get it while you can, this was just put here for testing the new VPM features (which are now working) and will be removed soon.  It is not for sharing as I don't have OK' from Fren to put out mods of his table.

-Mike

I'm really glad you reported the crashing problem.   It was just obscure enough that I would have assumed my cab was unstable or something like that.   And having to play Metallica LE so much trying to reproduce it really sucked.  ;)  :)

I'll have to keep testing this update to make sure there are no other bugs ... 

The above fix seems to have done the trick.  I used to be able to repro it in under 5 minutes.     With that fix in place, I ran for over 3 hours in the loop without the crash.   While that was running I also tried to crash the normal game on my cab and was unable to there also.

My VP build is attached if you want to try it.   

vpinballx.zip

Should I use your version of VPX for the metallica and other tables?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Some people have reported minor performance issues with that build.   It works fine for me though.   If it's working for you, do feel free to keep using it as it appears to fix the crashing bug.    It's otherwise based on the latest code.    Once VPX dev gets around to starting the 1..3 cycle you can switch to theirs as it will also have a similar fix in place. 

• Content Provider
On 17/01/2017 at 9:14 PM, sliderpoint said:

This is the link.  It has been updated somewhat to try to accommodate modulated flashers.  

Get it while you can, this was just put here for testing the new VPM features (which are now working) and will be removed soon.  It is not for sharing as I don't have OK' from Fren to put out mods of his table.

-Mike

Hey slider, can you put the link back for a moment i didn't take the file yet... :)

-Mike

Thank you so much for this table. It is amazing! Great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, vampirolatino2 said:
Awww, I missed the Metallica file, 404 now.

Guys, do the files in page 1 still are the latest or there is an updated/latest/official release?

Thanks a bunch!

My DOF patch is still current and recommended. Swisslizard is on hiatus still I think.

The VPM build you can use Carnys latest. I recommend the most recent beta he posted.

The B2S update is included with official VP 10.2 now.

I updated the first post to reflect all of this. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9.1.2017 at 9:49 PM, toxie said:

Works with my own build, so the fix is fine. Its an ancient leftover from some optimization i did during VPX development. Really strange that it never lead to any other problems so far.

We will enter the 10.3 cycle soon, Fuzzel wants to finish up some stuff first i think.

Would very much like to get my hands on this build. I forgot that I've replaced vpinballx.exe from Rob and been struggling with a weird issue that seems to be a comination of vpinballx.exe and dmddevice.dll. In short, I could not save Grand Champion scores, best noticed by coins getting lost if I add and exit and return when run from PBX. It was kind of a palm to forehead moment when I realized this. After switching back to official, PBX isn't as stable as it was, but, I've gained normal FPS again from tables using UltraDMD. Some went from ~300 to as bad as ~40 ( I don't play much originals, but, though my wife would like JP pokemon table  )

Archived