Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

@sliderpoint a version of metallica LE is on youtube but some effect did not correspond to yours , is it a modified of this one or not ? is it an other version of yours you don't post ? i know it's a work in progress but this table is much better than the pro version and would like to know informations of course

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, peskopat said:

@sliderpoint a version of metallica LE is on youtube but some effect did not correspond to yours , is it a modified of this one or not ? is it an other version of yours you don't post ? i know it's a work in progress but this table is much better than the pro version and would like to know informations of course

This is my version of MET LE - I coincidentally finished it on the same night as I became aware of Mike's version.   The version I had made used a sledge hammer in preference to the proper hammer seen in the video which I acquired from a free 3D model library but I pinched Mike's version and stuck it in mine.

I don't plan to release this as Mike's version is already being worked on and plays great.   I posted this video to show some friends what they'll be playing when they drop over next.

thanks for precision , i had some divergent reviews in a post of my forum ,  if you want some people to test , i'm your man , Now i'm fixed , i search in script's table and in editor to reproduce your effect but not possible so i decided to post here

On 1/3/2017 at 7:41 PM, sliderpoint said:

Alright, here is my crash.dmp files.  Can someone look at this and let me know if this is a VP or VPM crash?    This was during 'snake multiball' and when I hit an orbit shot.

crash

Thanks

-Mike

There are only Vpinballx.exe calls in the call stack, so it does not appear VPM is causing this crash.   The error is a null pointer read.    Would need the associated vpinballx PDB to find out where inside VPX the crash is occurring (PDB is what allows us to change those hex numbers into function names and line numbers)..

vpinballx.exe!0048580a()     
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for vpinballx.exe]    
     vpinballx.exe!00485ef0()     
     vpinballx.exe!004b5293()     
     vpinballx.exe!004abd53()     
     vpinballx.exe!0052f3cf()     
     vpinballx.exe!0052505c()     
     vpinballx.exe!004fea7f()     
     vpinballx.exe!0052ee6e()     
     vpinballx.exe!005302fc()     
     vpinballx.exe!0053039b()     
     vpinballx.exe!0053068e()     
     vpinballx.exe!0052f80b()     
     vpinballx.exe!0051beeb()     

@toxie do you guys keep PDBs for the Vpinball builds? 

Hi Mike, I like your Metallica version. Your desktop view is very good.

Two questions:

1.) Where can I find the MTL_170h.zip Rom.

On Stern page I found MTL17LE.BIN, only. I renamed the File but I got an error and the table won't start..

2.) Would you upload the new version with the snake script update, please?

regards

coolball

Hi Mike, I like your Metallica version. Your desktop view is very good.

Two questions:

1.) Where can I find the MTL_170h.zip Rom.

On Stern page I found MTL17LE.BIN, only. I renamed the File but I got an error and the table won't start..

2.) Would you upload the new version with the snake script update, please?

Zip the mtl17le.bin file into mtl_170h.zip

• Content Provider

Mine is just a mod of frens pro table. However I did rebuild a lot and changed a lot of graphics. My buddy has a pro and I was able to take a boat load of pictures with a ruler in them so I could get all the sizing correct on all the ramps and what not. I asked dark to make a "real" hammer model, but I need to get a lot of reference pics before he could start. So I just threw a hacky model together to put in for now. If anyone has access to a premium to get some hammer pics, that would be helpful.

-Mike

I was even able to do it a second time, with a PDB.  Unfortunately VP generated a bad dump, but since I have a PDB+the crash.txt, I am able to identify that the crash occurred in VP's collision code:  Collide.cpp near line 563.   

Now, naturally the thing to do here would be to report this to the VP devs.   Of course, we can't talk about this table there due to Noah's rules.  Grrr..

I'm wondering if we can try to force the issue by just hacking the table to

1) Launch a ball into the snake
2) Fire some balls at the right orbit over and over? 

My observation is that it crashes when the ball is moving somewhat slowly around the orbit so might have to play with the launch velocity.   I don't really know what I'm doing with VP objects (especially all the createball/destroyball stuff) though, it would be helpful if someone could try this that knows what they're doing. :)

If it's more repeatable it will be easier to debug.   Either i can figure it out in the code, or we can take out the ROM loading, rename the table to Noahtallica, and post it on the VPF Dev forum. ;)

• Content Provider

I would guess there to be quite a bit different about my table and It could be something with the number of balls on the table.  Because I don't generally use the destroy/create ball and my newton ball is a real ball as well not the coded version, there are quite a few on the table that are active.

If you are in multi-ball, you could have 3 on the table, plus 2 used for the newton ball and 1 under the apron for the sparky head movement.  I think it might be possible to have 1 still in the coffin as well.

total of 7 active balls on the table at once.  Not sure, just throwing that out there.

-Mike

Right it might be something where the number of balls increases the probability of the bug triggering.    It's definitely a bug, we just need to try to make it MORE repeatable, preferably a script that triggers it quickly so the we (devs) can just run the table under the debugger and have it crash so we can analyze the problem on the VP side.

Debug builds of anything inside the debugger is slow, it's not necessarily easy to play the table in that mode, so anything we can do to get the table script to do the repro work is super helpful.

18 minutes ago, toxie said:

Repeatable would really be good. What are the exact repro steps otherwise?

Both times I got the crash, I was in coffin multiball.  One time there was a ball in the snake, the other time I"m not 100% sure.   Both times I shot a ball to the upper right orbit (not ramp).  The ball rolls around right to the apex, as if it's about to go into the skill shot lane, and then the crash occurs.   I think it's important that the ball not be going so fast that it hugs the outer edge of the orbit. 

Yep.    The .txt files are similar, but the .dmp files are not (mine are too small and invalid ... VP can't complete writing them for some reason).

I think I managed to make a hack of your table that reproduces this eventually on my laptop .   The screenshot is where the ball freezes.

(The hacked table is attached below the screenshot)

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 8.59.12 PM.png

MetLEBallTest.zip

@toxie

Looks like the collision code somehow pulls an invalid object.

I found that this test is most effective when trying to debug if you use F11 to display only static objects.  Then you can hear the balls knocking and such for a while then the error triggers.

Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 10.46.25 PM.png

Interesting side observation: The lights must be flashing in order for the error to hit.   If I don't load the ROM, or go into the ROM's test mode (dark playfield), the error doesn't ever seem to trigger.   It could be a dumb timing/luck thing too, but it seems pretty consistent over many runs.

20 hours ago, DJRobX said:

Both times I got the crash, I was in coffin multiball.  One time there was a ball in the snake, the other time I"m not 100% sure.   Both times I shot a ball to the upper right orbit (not ramp).  The ball rolls around right to the apex, as if it's about to go into the skill shot lane, and then the crash occurs.   I think it's important that the ball not be going so fast that it hugs the outer edge of the orbit. 

I believe that I wasn't in a MB and experienced the same. Come to think of it. It reminds me very much of a crash I had the other day on Dozer' Attack from Mars.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11665

I don't now remember if I was in a MB or not. It was shot that was on its way to the top on the left orbit. Since it is a new computer I was thinking in the directions of that it might related to heat or something. But, now when you mention this - I'm beginning to wonder if that crash is related to what we see here.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcmqis7sxuyjhy5/crash.dmp?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dds731q91thbmq/crash.txt?dl=0

Thanks Thalamus - that's signfiicant.   Your crash.txt shows it died at the same address at Mike's, so it is the same bug.  

0045389C VPinballX.exe (0x25D1A8B0 0x25D1AA10 0x00000008 0x0000000d)

(My code address is different but that is because I built mine, but it's quite close).

Archived