Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

That the resampling is less awesome.  ;) (e.g. when the sampling rate is converted from the internal emulation core code to the output sampling rate)

But compared to what happened before in the core its still much much better. A lot of the old klick/pop/noise issues in PinMAME were due to this.

In addition to that it also allowed to drive up the precision/internal sampling rates of a lot of the emulated sound cores by far, which would have not worked before.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, toxie said:

I just introduced an additional optimization to the resampling. This should fix sound stutter issues with Gottliebs (especially GTS3), as these feature a ton of channels but most games do not use all of them.

Awesome!! 

Maybe we could make the resampling quality a configurable option?   The lower quality one as default is a good idea but my ears are super sensitive to that sort of thing, I prefer the best quality sound possible since I have CPU to spare. 

46 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

Hey guys... are you setting the default for resampling quality to "0"?  If so, I'm wondering if this might cause some users who don't know about the new settings to think they are having sound problems?

The quality is not "oh my god it's broken bad" at 0.   I don't think most people will even notice.    But given all the strange contributors we have to performance issues in VP, it's probably safer to default on the conservative side. 

BTW, the new yieldprocessor stuff seems to work well on my cab.   No more issues even with VC2015+Gilligans.    I even tried changing the resampler to high quality to see if that would tip things over but no more noise.  

17 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

I don't yet know what the UI settings mean precisely. I haven't had a chance to test for myself:

Heh, I had to actually look up what Fast Frames means.   It unthrottles VPM for 'x' frames, so you can program it to get through boot up and/or self tests faster.   So if the ROM takes 10 seconds to initialize, you could put 600 in there and get through it faster.   I might have to try that on Jurassic Park., will be funny to hear what it does to the music though.  :)

5 hours ago, DJRobX said:

The quality is not "oh my god it's broken bad" at 0.   I don't think most people will even notice.    But given all the strange contributors we have to performance issues in VP, it's probably safer to default on the conservative side. 

BTW, the new yieldprocessor stuff seems to work well on my cab.   No more issues even with VC2015+Gilligans.    I even tried changing the resampler to high quality to see if that would tip things over but no more noise.  

Heh, I had to actually look up what Fast Frames means.   It unthrottles VPM for 'x' frames, so you can program it to get through boot up and/or self tests faster.   So if the ROM takes 10 seconds to initialize, you could put 600 in there and get through it faster.   I might have to try that on Jurassic Park., will be funny to hear what it does to the music though.  :)

yieldprocessor: but we should still keep the oversleep in VPM then, right? and only use this on the VP side?

fastframes: this was actually introduced for the Ultrapins back in the day and each game that shipped with it was configured to skip the loading screen as fast as possible. pretty neat! so i decided to keep it around even though nobody usually knows what to do with it.  ;)

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

This compile is not working on my machine. We may also need colored versions of the LE ROMs in the list since they are working now.

Can you describe your issue? I just tested twd_156h, smb3, and sprk_103 on my cab and everything plays. 

On Resampling Quality I am trying setting 1. For smb3, I get much improvement if I use the default setting 0. I have the sample rate at the default, 44100.

Let me know on the patch for mt_145h. Last month, sharkky's patched set did not require a separate slot in the source code. I have not patched with your latest. And I have not had a chance to try out the altcolor support. Still haven't set up my pin2dmd installation either. Has something changed with mt_145h?

For the rest, I'll add the LE slots later tonight or tomorrow.

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Can you describe your issue? I just tested twd_156h, smb3, and sprk_103 on my cab and everything plays. 

On Resampling Quality I am trying setting 1. For smb3, I get much improvement if I use the default setting 0. I have the sample rate at the default, 44100.

Let me know on the patch for mt_145h. Last month, sharkky's patched set did not require a separate slot in the source code. I have not patched with your latest. And I have not had a chance to try out the altcolor support. Still haven't set up my pin2dmd installation either. Has something changed with mt_145h?

For the rest, I'll add the LE slots later tonight or tomorrow.

I get "Can´t create the controller class. Please check that you have installed Visual PinMame properly Error 8007007e Module not found"
Am I missing a part which is needed for your build ?

About the LE entries 

Like with the Pro ROMs the Extend Memory function of pinball browser changes the size of the ROM files and PinMame only loads the given 
size in the list into memory.

For example Mustang LE normally has a size of 63.098.052 and with memory extended 67.108.848
The same with the Pro Version 52.851.520 original and 58.720.240 extended.

• Content Provider

I get the same error when trying setup. My own build based on the code of Carny is working fine.

@Carny

Could you please also add

SAM_ROMLOAD(mt_145c, "mt_145c.bin", CRC(67a38387) SHA1(31626b54a5b2dd7fbc98c4b97ed84ce1a6705955), 0x037FFFF0)
SAM_ROMEND
SAM_ROMLOAD(mt_145hc, "mt_145hc.bin", CRC(20ec78b3) SHA1(95443dd1d545de409a692793ad609ed651cb61d8), 0x03FFFFF0)
SAM_ROMEND

and ( size change)

SAM_ROMLOAD_ACDC3(twd_156c, "twd_156c.bin", CRC(DC6699CF) SHA1(93f0759243c815f55c2e52db8dfc3b3faa94a28d), 0x05FFFFF0)
SAM_ROMEND
SAM_ROMLOAD_ACDC3(twd_156hc, "twd_156hc.bin", CRC(4594a287) SHA1(1e1a3b94bacf54a0c20cfa978db1284008c0e0a1), 0x05FFFFF0)
SAM_ROMEND

• Content Provider

Don't know on the error. I do have to ask if you have tried official VPM. I don't recall many updates with the other files in the official package, but you should overwrite what is in your folder with what is in the official distribution. You have to have bass.dll in order to register, etc.

I'll add MT. I match you on the size of the output. And TWD. 

• Content Provider

Carney, can you please post in this thread once you add those new color rom crc's to pinmame? I am in the process of repatching my roms to accomidate 2.36 software and I want to remember to update to the supported pinmame.

• Content Provider

I have a pindmd3 install right now as my pin2dmd board went bad. Waiting for a new one. In the meantime I upgraded my roms and pal files for the following games:

Metallica 170c - gets CRC error and crashes pinmame

TWD - Pal file only -works but missing patched diff

ACDC acd_168c - works

Avengers - avs_170c - crashes

Mustang - MT_145hc - CRC error and crashes pinmame

For the the entries I chanced at91jit to "0"

I am running the latest Carney pinmame dll

So its looks like you need to add or update metallica 170 CRC as well. Not sure why Avengers is crashing?

Archived