Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK I think I may have figured it out.  Please try this build.   I did some testing on an old Core2Duo machine with Win7 64.   What happens is if the autoframeskip feature ever triggers, the delay calculation becomes wrong, and then you have a continual loop of incorrect delays being added as it can't ever catch back up. 

On this machine I definitely saw the super slow flippers and stuttery sound.   This fix seems to clear it right up.  I even re-enabled the 75% mark and all seems well.  

vpm112116.zip

sorry, .... same here ... the table still  echoes / stutters  hard... when i revert back to an old dll from august all is gone (and oddly the reald dmd shows nicer colours in my pin2dmd with the new release all is red with no shades .. sorry for the offtopic). but yeah .. still there the echoing with repeats every sound after 1 or 2 seconds. the cpu on my machine is clearly not the best but the taskanager said nothing evil while running it.

mario.jpg

• Content Provider
On 22. November 2016 at 7:55 PM, MrKnister said:

and oddly the reald dmd shows nicer colours in my pin2dmd with the new release all is red with no shades

That is a feature not a bug

You need to copy your pin2dmd.pal to alt color subdirectory for full color otherwise you can select the base color for 16 shades in PinMame options.

Old script additions are not working anymore.

More Info here

• Content Provider
On 11/22/2016 at 5:00 PM, luvthatapex said:

Love what Fren did with Star Trek LE and the RGB lighting. How do you determine the RGB lamp number? Looks like they are above 200.

I'd like to update TWD and run it with the LE rom to get the RGB inserts working.

Use this rom test table, enter the ROM diag lamp tests and walk go to the RGB lamps listed in the LE manual.  You will see 3 extra lights flashing.  You may want to verify these but it should be 

24 (168,169,170)
33 (195,196,197)
36 (203,204,205)
41 (152,153,154)
57 (187,188,189)
79 (136,137,138)
80 (133,134,135)
81 (120,121,122)
82 is Horde Flasher

Also if I remember right, some of these lamps will be GI illumination for 4 areas of the table, so it looks like 106, 107, 108, 109

ROM test - TWD LE.zip

• Content Provider

Hi guys.

Great work with the new vpm stuff!

I tested the Mario table and I have zero issues with the sound.

But I tested it without the db2s if it may help. I tested it with latest vpm112116 and both VP10.1 and VP10.2

Keeep up te great work!

I'm sure DJRobX is correct when he says it is related to certain processors. I'm on my way to building my own cab, and I'm quite sure that it will not be an issue then.

But, then again, I'm probably not the only one with older cpu' so - I guess it is up to the devs to decide if this is going to be addressed or ignored. It could be a solution to just tell them what version of *.dll they could use to work around the problem if needed.

I have a WIP for TWDLE up on vpinball.com (Conversion of Fren's PRO table)  - I thought I'd post it here as I can see some authors starting to convert it and I didn't want to double up on the same work.  (Unless of course you want to make your own version).   It's a couple of weeks out as it needs new mesh ramps and a couple of models and I'm in the middle of a work contract but all the mechs and RGB are in.

6 hours ago, Thalamus said:

I'm sure DJRobX is correct when he says it is related to certain processors. I'm on my way to building my own cab, and I'm quite sure that it will not be an issue then.

But, then again, I'm probably not the only one with older cpu' so - I guess it is up to the devs to decide if this is going to be addressed or ignored. It could be a solution to just tell them what version of *.dll they could use to work around the problem if needed.

I'm not ignoring you but haven't had time to look at it any further.    It's not a slow CPU thing - with the last update SMB3 runs great on a really ancient core duo of mine.    Can you do me a favor and export your VPM registry settings for SMB3?    The closer I can duplicate your setup the more likely I am able to solve it.

The worst case I can option out the change that causes the issue, but I'd rather fix the problem.  

On 11/23/2016 at 10:31 PM, gtxjoe said:

Use this rom test table, enter the ROM diag lamp tests and walk go to the RGB lamps listed in the LE manual.  You will see 3 extra lights flashing.  You may want to verify these but it should be 

24 (168,169,170)
33 (195,196,197)
36 (203,204,205)
41 (152,153,154)
57 (187,188,189)
79 (136,137,138)
80 (133,134,135)
81 (120,121,122)
82 is Horde Flasher

Also if I remember right, some of these lamps will be GI illumination for 4 areas of the table, so it looks like 106, 107, 108, 109

ROM test - TWD LE.zip

WOW Thank you GTXJOE!!!!! This is a great help for this table and others!

LTA

Does VP9.9 (pm5) support lamp.color or lamp.colorfull? Any other way to do this?

I am trying to set the RGB lamps of TWD LE like has been done in VP10, but it appears these are VP10 commands only?

Sub SetRGBLamp(Lamp, R, G, B)   
     'dim IntensityValue 
     'IntensityValue = .2126 * R + .7152 * G + .0722 * B
     Lamp.Color = RGB(R, G, B)
     Lamp.ColorFull = RGB(R, G, B)
     'Lamp.Intensity = IntensityValue *100 / 255
     Lamp.State = 1
End Sub

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:44 AM, ninuzzu said:

Does the new VPM also supports  ACDC LE and Metallica LE?

I don't see the extra lampnumbers (the ones with a number higher than 80), using the ROM test table.

Yes, ACDC and metallica LE are definitely sending extra lights that the new VPMs pick up.  

I'm back to working on the problem.   As mentioned previously it was working fine on a really old core duo.    After futzing with it for quite a while I went back and downloaded VP112116 that I uploaded, and sure enough it still stutters, even though it's the same code!    

The reason in this case is that the VPM build that I posted, I built with VIsual Studio 2015, which has a different project file, and different compiler optimization settings.   I found that it was set for "Full" optimization, rather than "Optimize for speed", which apparently for VPM makes a pretty big difference.    The slower machine has Visual Studio 2010 on it.   I used to build the VPMs there until I got VS2015 set up on my laptop, so I suspect the old "good" build was built there.

Going to do more testing before I post a build, but wanted to report that there's some progress.   :)

Archived