Code change to enable SAM LE driver board support

DJRobX

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, CarnyPriest said:

Version 2.41a

is up to date with official VPM source to revision 4059

includes the commits for fixing/optimizing the universal devicedmd code

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45430846/VPinMAME_SAM_2.41a.zip

Oh man ! You are too fast. Toxie made some changes which make it necessary to change my pin2dmd driver too. Will update it soon.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Just so I am clear. The new pinamame compiles include luckys modular driver and therefore whether you have a pindmd1,2,3 or pin2dmd the pinmame.dll is the same all? 

I assume the word driver is whats built into the pinmame.dll and not a windows driver you have to install.

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Ok, I didn't see any activity for a while. I'll wait to build again until you are ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I uploaded a new build here which is based on the latest Source from Carny and contains the dmddevice.dll drivers for pindmd1,2,3 and pin2dmd.

I also contains a 64 bit version of the drivers..

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forums/topic/2728-sam-build-with-modular-dmd-drivers-for-pindmd123-and-pin2dmd/

Thanks for reporting, GTG!     VPM has so many strange conditions and paths for WPC solenoids, we're very likely to find there's additional work required to support specific tables as people become interested in working on them.    I will take a look.     If you enable modulated solenoids on a platform where it's not supported, VPM will only send empty values, and solenoids just won't fire. 

Here's a new build that removes unnecessary "pixel perfect" scaling when the ddraw option is turned off.   Manly for folks trying to use true fullscreen.

vpm102716.zip

Yes I did merge Carny's latest which should include the PinDMD stuff.   Of course, if you're using that, you probably don't care about the most recent change which only impacts non-pinDMD users :)     I also have no idea if it works or not since I currently can't use PinDMD.   Hopefully Freezy's rendering DLL is coming then I'll be able to test with that. 

Hey guys... for The Walking Dead I just started getting a "machine will not operate in this country" message on the DMD.  Wasn't sure if it was related to any recent changes but thought I would mention it.  

Do I need to change roms or rename... or maybe just a machine setting?

4 hours ago, Drybonz said:

Hey guys... for The Walking Dead I just started getting a "machine will not operate in this country" message on the DMD.  Wasn't sure if it was related to any recent changes but thought I would mention it.  

Do I need to change roms or rename... or maybe just a machine setting?

Ick!  I haven't seen that message pop up in a long time.    Haven't messed around with the timing code in a long time, either at this point.     I assume this is with TWD Pro?    How quickly is it popping up?   Is your sound garbled?   One thing that happens now is VPM will accelerate the interrupts slightly if the sound buffers are starved.   They should be pretty close so it ought to be a really rare thing, but if VPM is REALLY having trouble keeping up for some reason it might trip that stupid country check.  

Did this just start with the most recent build I posted by chance?  I tried to increase the amount of buffer padding slightly.   Maybe that did it?   When playing with my cab's performance settings lately (messing with video settings / frameskip / true fullscreen) trying to figure out why PinballX causes VPX to run super slow, I can see it doesn't take a lot to disturb the sound quality..    One table had the FPS limiter set to 60 and with it set that way, VPM's sound was absolutely scratchy and terrible for some reason.   The weird thing is that it's not that I run out of CPU power - if I force VP + VPM to use a single processor core, then I start hearing repeating loops and such in the sound, and slow performance, but NOT scratchy! 

Try this build (reverted buffering back to old values) and see if it changes anything,

vpm102816.zip

Boy I am really enjoying the Star Trek LE table now that you have enabled the AUX board support (thanks Fren!). Things are playing smoothly with your VPM changes.

Do you know if anyone is going to update the Walking dead table and add the LE specific like raising ramp/bicycle girl, crossbow, aquarium heads and lighting? The walking dead pm5 1.1 is my favorite table on my cab and even an pm5 update would be awesome! 

25 minutes ago, luvthatapex said:

Do you know if anyone is going to update the Walking dead table and add the LE specific like raising ramp/bicycle girl, crossbow, aquarium heads and lighting? The walking dead pm5 1.1 is my favorite table on my cab and even an pm5 update would be awesome! 

I want that one badly too!   My VPM updates specifically support TWD LE's LED lighting and extra solenoids.    So now we just need a table author to take on the challenge.   :) :D  

6 hours ago, bent98 said:

can someone test Congo 1.1 off of vpinball.com. Seems like one of the solenoids and rgb lights continue to fire.

Not vpinmame's fault. It's doing exactly what it should be doing, the problem is the solenoid should not be triggering the flippers unless told to.

Although if there was a better way to tell when flipper buttons are enabled for WPC95' onward that'd be best. The added delay from flipper callbacks is very noticeable.

8 hours ago, bent98 said:

can someone test Congo 1.1 off of vpinball.com. Seems like one of the solenoids and rgb lights continue to fire.

Oh!   I see nFozzy is trying the new modulated stuff.   I'll take a look!

*Edit* GTG is right on.   It looks like nFozzy is attempting hacks to do an end-run around VPM's solenoids to try and save latency (again this was something discussed on VPForums).   Judging from his updated script he's still working out details.    Stuff like that sounds like a good idea but can be extremely tough to get right.    If he finds an issue with new VPM behavior I hope he will contact me to let me know. 

1 hour ago, GtG said:

Not vpinmame's fault. It's doing exactly what it should be doing, the problem is the solenoid should not be triggering the flippers unless told to.

Although if there was a better way to tell when flipper buttons are enabled for WPC95' onward that'd be best. The added delay from flipper callbacks is very noticeable.

The lag thing is something that has a lot of potential for improvement.    The ROMs read and update the flippers pretty quick, it's the communication around it that's inadequate.   There's a thread on vpforums about that.   I just don't want to start digging into that can of worms until we get the existing stuff solid and released.    It'll be much easier to add event-driven (aka less laggy) callbacks now that B2S sources are available. 

VPM 1.0 is over 15 years old.  Trying to minimize communication overhead at the expense of latency was probably worth the trade off back then.

Hey DJR, the country check also happened on Star Trek LE after I posted that.

I'm going to try your 102816 now and I will report back.

*edit*  Just tested and both TWD and STLE are working... no country check... in 102816.  Thank you, sir.

On 10/27/2016 at 2:21 PM, GtG said:

Noticed UseVPMModSol seems to break all the normal solenoid callbacks on Bram Stoker's Dracula.

So, I took a look at this and am totally not seeing the problem.   It seems to all work fine for me?     Here's the script I used for the modified version of ICP's Dracula VPX 1.1 table.  Really simple conversion.   

http://pastebin.com/SsiC22nL

• Content Provider
On 10/27/2016 at 9:48 PM, DJRobX said:

Thanks for reporting, GTG!     VPM has so many strange conditions and paths for WPC solenoids, we're very likely to find there's additional work required to support specific tables as people become interested in working on them.    I will take a look.     If you enable modulated solenoids on a platform where it's not supported, VPM will only send empty values, and solenoids just won't fire. 

Here's a new build that removes unnecessary "pixel perfect" scaling when the ddraw option is turned off.   Manly for folks trying to use true fullscreen.

vpm102716.zip

While this is working now for ddraw=0 with VPX in full screen, which is great....

I can't seem to get my DMD to be a perfect render like it was before.

What are you using for a multiple for your DMD resolution? (with ddraw=0)

I can't get a "clean" pixel perfect DMD anymore with this newer version no matter what "width or height" I use. My screen is 1366x768.

For my DMD with PinMAME, I tried:

1280x320...  I get uneven DMD pixels.

I tried 777x201, which before (with the older version) would make a perfect multiple of 128x32 (with the extra border pixels) and give 768x192. With the newer version this doesn't work correctly either.

Any ideas?

Yes thats exactly what the change is supposed to do.    You either have a perfect render or you have scaling.   The scaling is just not pretty because there is no interpolation.    Lets wait and see what Toxie comes up with.

Archived