Virtual Pinball Cab 46" / 27" / Dmd

Chaz83

Hi All

This is my first post so I hope my cabinet inspires more and more people get into the VP Universe!

I have based my cabinet on a widebody design, which will have a 46" playfield, 27" backglass display and a "Real DMD" (from the guys at the  PIN2DMD project)

So... I started with a pile of MDF:

1472368710.jpg

We apply some percission cuts...

1472368741.jpg

And we end up with...

1472368294.jpg

Now to join it together...

1472368602.jpg1472368641.jpg

OK, so hopefully all these photos come through OK... The above took place last weekend!

This weekend we started the painting process...

1472368516.jpg

1472368548.jpg

OK, so we have our backbox and cabinet in undercoat, time to let everything dry and next weekend it will be time for the final coat, high gloss black enamel, then once that dries... time to put everything together and see what happens!...

Stay posted, more to come :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2016 at 0:24 AM, nickbuol said:

Looks very nice.  MDF is super heavy stuff.  I made my 2nd 4 player MAME cabinet out of it, and dang, it is massively heavy.  Must be nice to have a CNC at your disposal.... B)

Thanks :) Yes, it does have a bit of weight in in, at least I know it wont fall apart, lol!

Yes, very handy... it makes life so much easier, it's an amazing machine, I'm still learning how to do more complex operations with it, but their is only so many hours in a day!

Fit out has begun and testing under way... Here are some progress pictures...

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

Just waiting for a couple more parts that are currently on back order (fingers crossed they arrive this week!) and I can finish it off and complete the final tests!!

On 18 de setembro de 2016 at 5:11 AM, Chaz83 said:

Fit out has begun and testing under way... Here are some progress pictures...

IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

Just waiting for a couple more parts that are currently on back order (fingers crossed they arrive this week!) and I can finish it off and complete the final tests!!

Hello friend, you have the cut design this your machine? ha possibilities to bring me , if it is not asking you too much . I am building a machine with playfiled 47’’ with dmd and blackGrass 32’, but not found any project to this size. its already would help me because I will have to perform a few modifications. if you can help me thank you greatly . thank you so much

• 1 month later...

OK, We have a finished product, everything is now working perfectly and it looks fantastic!!

The colour DMD makes such a big difference to the overall experience of the game!

When people look at it quickly they just think it's a real machine, it's not until they take a closer look that they realize it's all virtual!

Very Happy with the end result!!

Pinball 2.jpgPinball 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I used an Acer K272HL monitor for the backglass (because it has VESA mounts and has a 178 / 178 degree viewing angle), for the playfield I used an NEC P463 commercial monitor, again good viewing angle and refresh rate. The benefit of using a commercial monitor is that they are covered under warranty weather they are position horizontal, vertical or laying down (like in this case) and once they have been turned on, you don't need the remote to bring them out of standby (unlike a TV screen)

Unfortunately I don't have access to the CNC files as that was done by a third party (www.myarcade.net.au - only in Australia)

Hope that helps :)

LOL, I actually purchased a 2nd hand screen, which saved me a lot of money... I know the V463 by NEC will also fit... the other one I was looking at was the Philips BDL4620QL.

It is now a superseded model and there replacement is a 48" which is a little too big, the 46" was a really good buy (when it was a current model)

Hope that helps!

Archived