Release Status & Swisslizard

mjr

Has anyone been in contact with Swisslizard lately, or has there been any action on getting DOF R3 into GitHub?  I've sent Swisslizard a couple of PMs here over the past couple of months and he hasn't replied.  His profile says he was last on the site in January, so I'm wondering if he's taken a break from DOF or something.  I want to get synced up with him on some DOF updates for the latest Pinscape firmware, so I'm hoping he hasn't disappeared without a forwarding address.

• Content Provider

Hi

I'm still alive. ;)

Sorry, for been so silent and not present for a long time. I've been away from internet for a few weeks and apart from that I'm in the middle of a rather large business project, which is keeping far more busy than expected. Therefore I simply had no time to do anything pinball or DOF related or to spend time in forums :(

Unfortunately the work situations isnt going to change that soon, but I'll try to find a little more time for DOF, but I really cant make promises.

Will try to updated Github with the current DOF code soon. The current code is working, but there are, as always, a lot of things which could be improved (and a in depth code cleanup is long overdue).

All the best

Tom

• Content Provider

Hi again

I've now updated Github with all commits for DOF up to the lastest commits I've mode for the long planned, but never really finished DOF R3.

The code should be quite OK as it is, but some more testing would likely be beneficial.

Tom

I'm still alive. ;)

Sorry, for been so silent and not present for a long time. I've been away from internet for a few weeks and apart from that I'm in the middle of a rather large business project, which is keeping far more busy than expected. Therefore I simply had no time to do anything pinball or DOF related or to spend time in forums :(

I can relate!

I've now updated Github with all commits for DOF up to the lastest commits I've mode for the long planned, but never really finished DOF R3.

Wonderful - thanks!

I'll check to see if I've made any Pinscape changes since the last ones I sent you, and set up a pull request on GitHub if there are any.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while, but I'm finally getting around to integrating my updates with the latest you checked into GitHub.  

Unfortunately, the latest version in source control doesn't seem to be working for me.  Should the very latest code in GitHub work, or is that semi-broken work-in-progress code?  If it's non-working, do you know the last working version?

With the very latest version, it looks like you were in the process of making some changes to clean up the way the unit number property ("Number") is handled in the various output controller classes - adding the onchanging/onchanged event handlers.  But it looks like that's incomplete - the Name property changes made in the old Number change handlers were removed and, as far as I can tell, weren't replaced with new code.  So the Name never gets set for any of the units, which leads to a null reference exception in the auto configurators when they try to use the Name as a dictionary key.  I added back the name change handling for LedWiz and that seems to fix that much, but it makes me suspect that the tip revision might have other issues.  Right now I'm trying to help someone get this working with addressable LED strips, and not having much success, so I'm wondering if that problem is related.

Any input you have would be most helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Just following up on my own post:  I'm going with the last commit on Jan 2, 2016 for now.  That looks like it's the closest source to what was in the Nov 30, 2015 public binary release, and it seems to work properly with LedWiz, Pinscape, and the SwissLizard's Teensy controller for addressable LEDs.  I've merged all of my latest Pinscape updates and committed everything back to a forked repos on GitHub, and put in a pull request.  It doesn't look like SL is actively following any of this right now, so it'll probably remain in this state for the time being, but the pull request and forked repos are there in case else wants to grab my updates.  (If you go to the main DirectOutput repos on GitHub, look under "pull requests" to find my updates.)

On 10/19/2016 at 10:26 AM, arngrim said:

i didn't try yet but i'm curious if Lxx White nobool is working, to have the fade controlled by vpm

Probably not.  If it wasn't working the last official R3 binaries from SwissLizard (the Nov 30, 2015 release), it's probably not working in my version either, since I tried to get as close to possible to that release as my starting point.  SL's code after that point seems not to work - it looks like he was in the middle of making some additional changes, but didn't finish them and left things in a non-working state until he can get back to them.  I'm really glad he saw fit to check in the earlier working version!

• Content Provider

i still didn't test it yet, the fact is LXX nobool works, that's how we can have a rgb dimmer effect on tron, if you saw the post in the djrobx table

but when rob will implement the solenoid with 255 levels of brightness in vpm, it would be a shame to not being able to send that to DOF like we can do now without a color, but with a composition of 3 shades that together is creating a RGB effect 

Just want to "put my hand up" as an interested party for DOF R3.  The utility I've created (DOFLinx) uses the current R3 as its base to work with a few devices, keen to not break that, and happy to assist with efforts to move forward as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MJR,

I made a very small tweak to DOF to work better with the modulated solenoid outputs.     I forked from your repo.   When I gave my version to Dozer to test, he had problems with DOF being very sensitive to other applications running.   If Pinballx or Firefox was open, he had strange DOF behavior.  

I backed out your change and sent him another build, and that version works correctly for him.

Can you post or send Dozer a binary build so he can confirm whether or not he's having an issue with your change, or if it's just something I'm doing wrong building it?  I tried both Visual Studio 2015 and 2010 and both had the performance issue.    Unfortunately I can't really replicate as I don't have an extensive DOF system.

Hi all, it doesn't appear to be your compiler Rob - the binaries above exhibit the same behavior.

From within PinballX - solenoids are erratic in that they don't fire consistently and where flashers are specified with a color they get flashes of arbitrary colors mixed in with them.  There are times too when flippers are held on that the relays driving them start to chatter.   This is with 2 Ledwiz units and addressable LED strips.  The board driving the strips was built by SwissLizard.

It must be some incompatibility in the direct USB communications with the LedWiz, then.

i suspect that what's going on is that you have both the old and new DOF DLLs installed, and that PBX is running the old ones while VP is loading the new ones. This would keep them from coordinating their USB access, which could cause symptoms ike these  if you can enable logging in both configs, you could check the version number report at the too of the last session in each log to see if this is the case  

There's actually no need for you to be running this version unless you're using a Pinscape controller.  The purpose of this version was to integrate my updates for Pinscape with the latest base code, so if you're using other devices, there's nothing new in this vs the base code.

• 3 weeks later...

So using the live master branch isn't recommended? I'm using that now to add Ultimate I/O support, and so far it's been working quite well but I only have the UIO and a SainSmart 8ch USB. Just simple LEDs though acting as "solenoids and flashers".

The live master branch is back to working if you're on the 11/6/2016 commit.  SwissLizard rolled back the partial changes that had left things in an inconsistent state, so everything is fully working again in that commit.

Clearly I'd like to see the master branch test successfully with DOFLinx too.  @rambo3 has found the issue relating to DoubleExtensions something that should be invisible to a program using DOFLinx.  So not sure when that error crept in, from SwissLizard's R3 beta, but really keen to see it disappear.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:32 AM, mjr said:

The live master branch is back to working if you're on the 11/6/2016 commit.  SwissLizard rolled back the partial changes that had left things in an inconsistent state, so everything is fully working again in that commit.

I built a DOF based on the master branch and Arngrim reported it did not work for him.

Also, when I built DOF versions based on your patch, both Arngrim and Dozer reported some sort of laggy performance issue with their DOF setups.     When I rolled back your change (going back to SL's January commit) they report everything was fine. 

I don't have a very extensive DOF setup so I'm afraid I can't be of much help in troubleshooting either issue.  I'm only involved because I need to commit one small patch that pertains to the new modulated solenoid support in VPM.    It's a very small change that prevents boolean effects from re-firing when solenoids are reporting gradient values. 

I've attached the code in case you guys want to integrate it into your own branches.  It goes in FX\ValueFX.    I had created a pull request with an earlier version that SL said he was going to work on integrating, but I have to re-do it with this updated version.

ValueMapFullRangeEffect.cs

• 1 month later...

I'm forking djrobx after suggestion from arngrim (thanks!). He added support in DOF config tool for UIO as well (thanks again!). Testing UIO support now. Got flashers (simulated using RGB-buttons for now), start + launch button pulses, and 10 contactors kicking 5 minutes ago in Attack from Mars, so it's looking good so far. Hearing and feeling those contactors alive for the first time in a game made me smile. Absolutely amazing.

Archived