Newer Stern Tables Crashing...

pal9000

Hi everyone. I recently built my cab with the help of this and other forums. I had everything running smoothly with 4k at 60 Hz, pinball X, DOF, solenoids, LEDs, etc but now I actually have to ask a question because I'm stumped. For some reason the newer Stern tables decided to crash as soon as I open them either through physmod5 or through pinballX. I get an error message that says "visual pinball 990 has stopped working." I'm not sure why it says "990" because I am opening the files through physmod5. Anyway, they were all working fine and I've made no changes so this is really confusing me. The main table that has consistently given me this error is the ACDC physmod5 table. Keep in mind it was working perfectly for weeks... Things I've done so far:

- Updated to the newest graphics drivers (have dual HD 7850s)

- Reinstalled visual pinball

- Have the latest vpinmame.dll, sam.vbs, bass.dll, etc

- made sure everything is unblocked, run as administrator, etc

- ensured my roms are working and have correctly named them and even redownloaded them with the same results

- deleted the nvrams for the offending tables

- tried other versions of the tables with the same results

What is really confusing me is that after all of the above it started working again and then out of nowhere it decides to crash..."Visual pinball 990 has stopped working." This only happens with physmod5 tables particularly the newer Stern tables and most consistently with ACDC. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I reinstall and clear out my registry? That was my next possible solution... Thanks!

• Content Provider

Nothing wrong with your setup.  This is probably a vpinmame stern SAM bug, but there is no fix currently.  Search the forum and you will see previous reports of ACDC, Metallica and TWD rom crashes.  Usually playing another table and then trying the Stern table again works

I'm running Windows 10...

Further steps I've tried:

-tried various versions of sam/vpinmame.dll (2.30-2.34)

-cleaned the registry

-as a final resort I actually reinstalled windows

End result? The same. This is driving me nuts...

• Content Provider

Stern SAM "visual pinball 990 has stopped working" is a vPinmame issue.  There is nothing you can do to unless you know how to improve/update the Stern SAM support in vpinmame.

If you change the ACDC romname in the script to POTC, or Transformers or Avengers as a test, you will see that you can launch ACDC table 100% successfully

Thanks for the help everyone.  I'm running 64 bit.  I haven't tried running the table without b2s enabled so maybe I'll try that.  I tried renaming the rom name to POTC but it just gave me a script error...  I looked in the event viewer to get more details of the crash.  It consistently says - Faulting application: VPinball99_PhysMod5.exe, version 9.9.0.0.  Faulting module name: vpinmame.dll, version 2.8.0.0.  Gtxjoe...think you're right.  What are people doing about this?  Just dealing with it I guess...

Yeah....I'm pretty much used to not playing AC/DC when I want to.......it seems that I am totally at the mercy of the Gods with this one.

I'm running Windows 7 32 bit..it seems my best chance of getting this table to boot is to have it be the first table I load when I fire up the cabinet. After that forget it.....its just not going to happen. Usually a reboot of the computer increases my odds of success quite a bit.

Some guys say if you can't get it to boot to close out of it play another table and then go back to it but that doesn't work for me.

At any rate that's how I deal with it....it really is a shame as it's such a terrific table. A helluva ride once it's up and running. One of my favorites.

• 2 months later...

I got the AC/DC to run changing the script to use acd_168h instead of acd_168.

Seems very buggy, top rollover lights, never light up, target lights don't seem to be responding and had a 3rd ball get stuck on the right side.

Wondered if ROM related or my own table ignorance..

Good progress though, and get a feel for it.

I have to completely restart 990p5 also, does the crash routine if I try to run it again from the editor even if I just go to the editor and PLAY again.

I have 16 gigs of RAM so shouldn't be an issue, running Windows 10 64-bit.

acdcworking.jpg

Don't use ACD_168H.  That's the LE ROM,  You need an LE table to go with that, and nobody's built it yet, which is why the lights don't work. 

You might want to head over to the VPinMame Development forum and try my beta test version of VPM with ACD_168.  

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forums/topic/2687-code-change-to-enable-sam-le-driver-board-support/?do=findComment&comment=31160

It uses a different engine to run the game, so it would be interesting to hear if it's better, worse, or the same for your case. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ah!  ...and my ACDC is back to always crashing after it loads, and it really hangs Windows 10 64-bit for a good 20 secs before it recovers.

Got your version of vpinmame.dll and it still crashed.

But....

I decided I better restart Win10 from scratch after having run a ton of tables including Unit and FP today, and wola..... it worked just fine!

FP is not stable at all either, but I wasn't even aware of the later mod's from 2013 with physics until today, and spent some time figuring it's configuring out as well.

Thanks!

...and it was with acd_168 no H.

Archived