What Am I Doing Wrong?

OK, I wasn't going to power the whole setup via the USB, I was just confirming the other users observation. I had bought dedicated PS for this setup upon the recommendations either by you or UncleSash. The problem remains, ST-Link not detected. I don't have the panels or PS hooked up to the board. All I have is the "Mini USB" which is supplying power and when plugged into the computer, monitor is showing AutoPlay, with  DIS_F407VG as you can see in the picture. When I plug in the "Micro USB" it comes up in Control Panel as PIN2DMD.

20161224_200352.jpg

actually I have a number of times, using the program Zadig 2.2.  I tried using ST-Link Utility 007. This is what win10 control panel has....What I need is for someone to show me what they have that are able to access the ST-Link. I have raped and pillaged the ST site and still havn't been able to connect but I did try DFU and was able to flash a Demo that caused 4 leds that are in between the 2 buttons to flash and dance around. Then I tried flashing with PIN2DMD.dfu supposedly ver 2.36 still nothing.

20161229_161409.jpg

• Content Provider

You installed libusb-win32 with Zadig for the ST-Link device which is wrong. You need to install
the ST-Link drivers from STM. It should then be listed under USB Devices.

Additionally you installed the Virtual Comport Drivers which ar not of any use here.

OK I tried again, I went to the ST site, DL'ed the file STSW-Link009, installed it. First pic is with the drivers installed but nothing connected. 2nd is when I connected the mini usb, notice the com port, that was put there by the ST prog. 3rd is when I plugged in the micro usb, 4th is showing that I had already installed the drivers, next  is a list of what was in the program folder when I unzipped it. When I use the ST-Link Utility it still tells me that the link is not detected #6 and the last one is giving the versions. No these are on the board that doesn't display the PIN2DMD. Now when I hook up the one that displays the PIN2DMD, the com port changes from 3 to 6 and still gives me the error, no detection. and thats with and with out sdcard installed. Now I showed pics of my setup, show me yours and what programs you used. Are you able to read or copy the FW from the one which is displaying to the one thats not.

20161230_001710.jpg

20161230_001945.jpg

20161230_002530.jpg

20161230_003159.jpg

20161230_003250.jpg

20161230_004940.jpg

20161230_005207.jpg

• Content Provider

My installation shows the same devices as on picture 2. Micro USB connection is not needed until the upgrade works.

Do both devices react the same way, when trying to upgrade the ST-Link ?

Did you try starting the ST-Link Utility in admin mode ?

Is it a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port ? Did you try a different one ?

Did you try a different PC ?

Q1, both devices are identical in all respects except one doesn't show the demo and when all power is unplugged it will flash as I showed in my previous post.

Q2. Always in Adnin mode.

Q3. USB 2.0, read somewhere that this wasn't compatible with 3.0.

Q4. I'm going to try on my laptop and my cabinet later on today and I'll post my results.

I have gotten the key for the unit and put it on the micro sdcard......Now the display is saying Virtual Pinball and thats using the sdcard to registrar 

Do you know of a board which will use the P2D?

Basically I was asking what pinball table you use to test the P2D setup. As for both registering, not sure. But progress has been made. I took the units to my cabinet and installed the one which displayed the demo, registered with the key via the SDCard. Next I installed the drivers using ST-Link009 as that has the signed drivers for the newer windows. Of course leaving out the COM drivers as you said they weren't needed. Installed the ST-Link004 program. Hooked up the external power supply and panels then the Mini and Micro USB. When I hooked up the USB cables it wanted to install the drivers all over again but I cancelled it. Checked Device Manager and found a new entry that I never seen before in the USB Devices. ST-Link Dongle. Pin2DMD I believe was there as well. Anyway I ran the ST_Link Utility and was able to connect and even upgrade the P2D FW to 2.36. My elation was short lived as I tried the other setup. When I hooked it up it,  again it wanted to install drivers but this time it wasn't able to find the P2D ones and put it under "Other Devices". Had it search the internet/my computer and it couldn't find the drivers. It did establish a ST-Link and I was able accordingly to the Utility to update the P2M firmware to 2.36. Still no display. Did a search for the ST firmware but it seems like I'm missing it. Is it the one in the ST004 folder?? Do you have that file? So after a time of trying to getting this to work I decided to put back the first unit and it wanted to install drivers again and it couldn't find them for P2D. It had installed them the first time because it was under the Dongle entry in USB Devices.I'm going to try it on my laptop next. Let you know how that turns out, oh the cab has W7 on it. So does my Laptop.

Alright there is still no display, I've had to reinstall Win7U, I don't know if playing around trying to get this to work cause windows explorer to work and not work. I tried to correct the problem but the computer upon boot up just went in to a repair loop. So a fresh install of W7 and ST-Link programming and drivers I was able to link up with the STM32 rather easily. heres the latest results. The first pic is after the installation of the ST-Link Utility/Drivers and with only the Mini USB hooked up, if fact the only time I did hookup the Micro USB was to see if maybe PIN2DMD program would do anything. The first unit after activation I was able to see on the panels the names of the various pinball makers names as I selected them, so I confident that that one is working properly. Prior to hooking up the Mini USB, 4 Red Leds Lite, LD1 Blinking in what seems to be a sequence?? 2ND pic is when I access the ST-Link. 3RD pic shows the shows the FW Ver currently on the device and wants to know if you want to upgrade for what appears as a lower version. I declined. 4TH is when I clicked Target, then Connect and got the dreaded error No ST-Link detected. Clicked it the second time and it worked. 5TH, 11th and 13th are pretty well self explanatory. The pics of the board and panels, I was trying to capture LD1 blinking Red Green after doing this. So after all this I unplug the Mini USB and pull the pwr plug from the PS and the panels flash just like I showed you and which you said I needed to update the FW on the STM board. Well it looks like I done that if I read ST-Link Utility right as well as updated the P2D FW, whats next??

20170101_170214.jpg

20170101_171419.jpg

20170101_171708.jpg

20170101_172015.jpg

20170101_172916.jpg

20170101_173013.jpg

20170101_173028.jpg

20170101_173041.jpg

20170101_173042.jpg

20170101_173044.jpg

20170101_173314.jpg

20170101_173325.jpg

20170101_173635.jpg

• Content Provider

From the ST-Link side everthing looks fine, but it seems that you are not running 
the pin2dmd firmware since you don´t get a red LED between the two buttons which
you should get if no SD card is inserted.

Did you try to put the non working discovery board on the working shield  and vice versa ?
Just to check wether it is a problem of the shield or of the controller.

In the last testing and pics the sdcard is in. Its just covered up by the micro USB. With the other unit the display came on wether or not the sdcard was is in. I was suprized as I think someone said that the sdcard had to be into work, or was that only for the Pin2DMD.exe to work. As for swapping around the shields, made no difference. I did try that earlier on last week. So I'm positive its not the shield. The one thing I did notice was that the unit I now have in my cabinet LD1 is green where as the unit I have on my desk the LD1 is red. Both units are hooked up the same, with both Mini and Micro USB cables attached. Thats the only difference I can see. Pics 1 -4 are of the unit not working as it should, 5 is showing the green led at LD1 on my cabinet unit.

20170103_175926.jpg

20170103_180032.jpg

20170103_180137.jpg

20170103_180304.jpg

20170103_201254.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived