World Poker Tour

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, adamstillman said:

did anyone ever get the proper English files?? i tried patching it with the English version but no success.

Although the colorization isn't complete, it works fine with the English rom.  You just need to patch the ROM with the diff file and then rename the wptcolor.dat file to pin2dmd.pal and place it in the altcolor folder.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, subdisturb said:

Although the colorization isn't complete, it works fine with the English rom.  You just need to patch the ROM with the diff file and then rename the wptcolor.dat file to pin2dmd.pal and place it in the altcolor folder.

thanks, i got the pal file but i cant get the rom to work, i tried renaming the English bin file to french, renaming the diff file from french to English, and vice versa,  still.... when using vpm to test.. vpm pops up a error saying to check rom path...

can you guys tell me exactly what you renamed to get this to work?

19 hours ago, adamstillman said:

thanks, i got the pal file but i cant get the rom to work, i tried renaming the English bin file to french, renaming the diff file from french to English, and vice versa,  still.... when using vpm to test.. vpm pops up a error saying to check rom path...

can you guys tell me exactly what you renamed to get this to work?

You can use the color/rom patch tool found on this site.  The diff file name doesn't matter.  If you don't already have the English rom, grab it from the Stern website.  Extract the bin file from the zip and then use the patching tool (or bsdiff from a command prompt if you prefer).  The bin file after patching should be called" wpt_1400a.bin" and then zip that file up into "wpt_140a.zip".  Put the "wpt_140a.zip" file in your vpinmame/rom folder and the pin2dmd.pal file in the vpinmame/altcolor/wpt_140a folder.

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, slydog43 said:

why do some colored roms require a patch and others just use the .vni & .pal files?  

Stern SAM colorizations which are based on pinballbrowser use a patch and a .pal file
Other colorizations which are based on the pin2dmd editor use a .vni and a .pal file.

4 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Stern SAM colorizations which are based on pinballbrowser use a patch and a .pal file
Other colorizations which are based on the pin2dmd editor use a .vni and a .pal file.

Except this extra special case (WPT) where people appear to have augmented the PinballBrowser colorization with Pin2DMD-editor keyframe detection to switch palettes.     From what I saw in the Pin2DMD editor it was only keyframes palette switches, but it means you could have patch+pal+vni all at once. :)

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, DJRobX said:

Except this extra special case (WPT) where people appear to have augmented the PinballBrowser colorization with Pin2DMD-editor keyframe detection to switch palettes.     From what I saw in the Pin2DMD editor it was only keyframes palette switches, but it means you could have patch+pal+vni all at once. :)

Right, and we might need that in the future to get around the "out of memory problem" of pinballbrowser.

ok,.. i think i patched the english rom correctly, and i have a pal file in my altfolder ( renamed the .dat file).  i tested it and i see some color and works ok.  however... after reading the latest comments.. is it true i am also missing a VNI file in the altcolor folder also???? 

if this is true...how can i get the vni file?? 

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators

For some reason I can't get this one to work with the instructions provided above. All of the other roms I've patched to color so far have been good. This one throws a rom error when loading the table. It matches the wpt_140a.zip and I renamed the .dat file and placed it in the altcolor folder. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, hawkeyez88 said:

For some reason I can't get this one to work with the instructions provided above. All of the other roms I've patched to color so far have been good. This one throws a rom error when loading the table. It matches the wpt_140a.zip and I renamed the .dat file and placed it in the altcolor folder. Any ideas?

I am having the same problem, tried doing it a bunch of different ways. There must be something I am missing as well

• Moderators
On 3/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, CarnyPriest said:

If you modify the original game code then you need to change VPM game settings and enable Ignore ROM CRC errors.

I got this straightened out by redoing the rom. I must have messed it up the first time.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:14 PM, hawkeyez88 said:

I got this straightened out by redoing the rom. I must have messed it up the first time. 

what rom did you end up using? spent 3 hours still can't get it to work, I have all the other color roms except this one working, driving me crazy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/26/2016 at 11:19 PM, sharkky said:

I share my project here => https://www.dropbox.com/s/z00c3t1zcnzrgnq/World%20Poker%20Tour%20Fr%20Couleur.zip?dl=0

zip contains  *.diff file for patching rom, macro and smartDMD for pinballbrowser, dump's files and pin2dmd project

I just got this to work on my real WPT pinball machine.

On 6/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, dstott said:

I patched it to the English ROM and it worked fine.  I was skeptical but had to try it.

I can confirm that I was able to patch the English rom wpt1400a.bin with the diff providid above for the French version using bspatch.
The machine still seems to run well after I flashed this patched rom.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:34 AM, DJRobX said:

The current version of the pin2dmd editor can load the project but it complains about palette conflicts.    This happens on a lot of "upgrades".     You can fix this by copying the palette entries back into the XML file after the project is converted.

I imported sharkky's project into PIN2DMD Editor 2.5.0.6. This "destroyed" the color palettes as mentioned in this thread. But after saving the project you can manually copy the color sections from the original XML file to the new one just like DJRobX explained.
When reopening it, the palettes are correct. Now I was able to export a .pal file for a real pinball machine!

The first game looked way better compared to a monochrome DMD! Thanks to everyone's work here!

But I still ask myself if I'm missing something? You talk about a .vni file that is needed in addition for a virtual pin. But PIN2DMD Editor 2.5.0.6 doesn't offer my a possibility to export such a file based on sharkky's project.
And therefore I could also not generate a .fsq for a real machine.

So I'm a bit confused. Does the original colorization provided by @sharkky only require a .pal file?
@lucky1 Do you know more about that?

7 hours ago, mk47 said:

But I still ask myself if I'm missing something? You talk about a .vni file that is needed in addition for a virtual pin. But PIN2DMD Editor 2.5.0.6 doesn't offer my a possibility to export such a file based on sharkky's project.
And therefore I could also not generate a .fsq for a real machine.

So I'm a bit confused. Does the original colorization provided by @sharkky only require a .pal file?
@lucky1 Do you know more about that?

their is a another project based on the English rom   somewhere at Vpinball.com. 

that project has a patch and vni+pal file.   they might be talking about that project and not sharkkys version.

17 hours ago, outhere said:

that project has a patch and vni+pal file.   they might be talking about that project and not sharkkys version.

My understanding of the situation is that there are some scenes that PinballBrowser can't colorize correctly on its own,  so you need both techniques for the most complete result.  

The challenge with PinballBrowser is getting it to issue palette changes when you need them, particularly in serial port mode without mangling frames.   The challenge with Pin2DMD editor is dealing with dynamic scenes, but detecting a frame and switching palettes is no sweat there.    So both tools complement each other quite nicely. 

You might reach out to 32A and see if he'll provide a fsq set. 

Archived