[New VP10 Alert] Cirqus Voltaire 1997 Hanibals 4k Mod

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@Hanibal2001 I absolutely HATE complaining about tables because I know how much goes into creating them.  This is a fantastic table.  Would easily be one of my favorites if I could find a solution to this "sleepy head" problem.  When I was first testing the table, the problem never happened.  Then I tried recording media for my frontend and now it happens almost every time.

Examples of the problem

Bobblehead 1

Bobblehead2

I appreciate any assistance.

Edited by MrGrynch

UPDATE:  Oddly enough, many people are reporting the "bobblehead" problem here, but no one on VPForum.  I mentioned it there, and JP Salas showed me that the table is using a "captive ball" technique to control the Ringmaster's head.  When this failure occurs, the captive ball escapes confinement.  Wherever that ball moves, the head will follow.  He insists there's nothing wrong with the table, but I disagree.  A bug that only occurs for a few people is still a bug.  Every other table I've installed runs just fine.

If I load the table directly in VPX, the problem occurs infrequently, which is why I didn't see it during testing.  However, if I launch the table from my front end, it will occur almost all the time.  I also observed a second failure mode.  Sometimes, the captive ball will not escape confinement, but will be visible in the lower left of the table, above the apron graphic.  It will just sit there, wobbling, and the Ringmaster's head will wobble in sync.  The game will play just fine, but it looks a bit weird.

I have not modified the table in any way.  I have also removed, downloaded, and reinstalled it several times to rule out a bad download.  Because it happens very frequently when loaded from the front end, it was suggested that it was a CPU resource issue.  I dispelled that notion.  PinballX frontend does not add a lot of overhead to the tables.  It essentially unloads itself, and uses a small daemon process to load the table, sense exit, and reload PinballX

Circus Voltaire

uYIve8c.jpg

Indiana Jones Pinball

EY0KPkf.jpg

The CPU load is worse for Indiana Jones, and that table works just fine.  If there is a CPU issue with this particular game, then its a subtle one and I still say its a fault with the table.  It could be a slight timing problem when the table is first started.  The added overhead of the PBX launcher could be just enough to trigger the problem.  Doesn't explain why it happens occasionally in VPX directly though.

Just thought I would provide more info to this issue.  When the table plays, it's one of my favorites.

Edited by MrGrynch
Made the images display in-line

1. I have a much better version of this table - so, this is archived on my end.

2. Have you tried to run in on the vpx version it was created ? It might very well be that something has changed and it is incompatible with the latest.

17 minutes ago, makmak said:

If nothing helps, did you try to put a wall around the confinement? The ball shouldnt escape then...

Well, no..  I've never modified a table other than the provided user-adjustable options.

36 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

1. I have a much better version of this table - so, this is archived on my end.

2. Have you tried to run in on the vpx version it was created ? It might very well be that something has changed and it is incompatible with the latest.

Damn!  I never thought of that.  I don't really want to have more than one version of VPX though.  I'll look for another version.  I could swear I tried that and didn't find one, though now I look and see one on Pinball Nirvana by Randr.  Is this the table you are running?

3 hours ago, MrGrynch said:

Well, no..  I've never modified a table other than the provided user-adjustable options.

Thats pretty easy, try and learn and get better. (and its faster than asking and waiting for an answer, too 😉

4 hours ago, MrGrynch said:

Damn!  I never thought of that.  I don't really want to have more than one version of VPX though.  I'll look for another version.  I could swear I tried that and didn't find one, though now I look and see one on Pinball Nirvana by Randr.  Is this the table you are running?

And ... why not ? I bet you have multiple version of vp in your install already ... vp8, vp9 and vpx. All you need to do is to go to vpf and get the minimal install for 10.4 ( guessing now what it was created with ) ... take VPinballX.exe - from that archive ... rename it VPX104.exe - put ONLY that file into your VP folder alongside the others and use it to or whatever version that works for this table.

Also, be aware. This is NOT the only table that is broken in VPX 10.7 - nFozzy's Terminator 2 is - and it is well worth keeping imo.

Agree with makmak though. You'll do better in the long run to take a table and try to fix it than hoping that a author that hasn't been around for a long time is coming back to fix it for you. People like me, could probably fix it, but, then I would be in a dilemma of where do I upload it ? I could fix it and give it to you privately - but, that doesn't really make any sense to me. Spending time on a table I won't keep and don't like. I have a lot of tables that could need some love and I rather spend time on those. Like nFozzy's T2. Learning and experimenting is something I find to be essential in this hobby. You will find tables that doesn't play very well, but, if you just learn a few basic things you'll be able to improve on them. With that, your knowledge grows and maybe you'll be able to tackle this particular problem yourself down the line - instead of needing to run it on an old version of VPX.

Thanks for the advice.  At some point, I will learn how to mod/fix tables myself.  I am a software engineer by trade.  I got into this hobby in February, and I am just NOW starting to get a handle on just getting things to work.  Its quite an intimidating hobby.