Zen Pinball Fx2 And Mirroring?

• Content Provider

Has any thought been given to using 'mirroring' with Pinball FX2 tables?  Before Zen supported the DMD on cabs, one of the solutions I tried was 'mirroring' the DMD to a different location.

Basically, it is software that copies a region and displays it to another location on your system.  I had trouble with it - but I believe it could work.  Just wondering if this is possible without too much effort to copy it to Pin2DMD - instead of to another monitor under windows?

• Content Provider

If you can make a program that copies the content and put it in a rgb-array I can try

to process the data and send it to pin2dmd or I can give the info how you need to send

the data to pin2dmd

• Content Provider

I have a "mirroring" solution using ffmpeg. Problem is that you will not be able to "move" the DMD image. You'd have to copy it. Here, I am copying the contents of the DMD image and using a flip filter to display it for my P2k-style cabinet. Latency is pretty good in Windows 10. Even better when I was running Windows 7. It was very tolerable since there isn't really any DMD-based video modes with PFX2.

For what you are trying to do, it may be best to use the DMD that displays on the playfield. Pick a less obstructive location - lower left or right apron. The built-in gdigrab can capture the stream. From there, I don't know what you would do to convert it into an RGB array for display on a real DMD or RGB panel. Or what impact it would have on latency. 

Script attached.

LaunchFX2.zip

• Content Provider

Since ffmpeg is opensource it should be possible to add a routine to ffplay to output the stream to pin2dmd via usb.

If somebody wants to give it a try please contact me and I provide the necessary information you need to send

picture data to pin2dmd.

• Content Provider

Would love to.  However, after looking at the code, it seems a little beyond my skillset... :unsure:

Skills are there to get improved. You have to work on them to get better.

I myself for example had no idea about c programming when I started this project.

Only a little bit of Visual Basic 6 programming. Still learning every day

Yeah sorry, completely missed this thread. It's basically done, just need Lucky1 to fix PIN2DMD support, got it working on a virtual DMD and PinDMD.

pindmd-comp.png

Good news is that it seems to work even if the DMD is behind the playfield!

Will post something here this week so you guys can test.

• Content Provider

The program has two modes. You can either grab a part of the screen and send it to the DMD or in PBFX mode will grab the data directly. So for Pinball Arcade Screen grabber will most likely work. Maybe Freezy can have a look if he can also grab the data directly

from PBA.

Yeah, as Lucky1 said. Might be able to pull off data otherwise, but haven't tested yet. However my motivation for TPA is kind of limited because TPA physics still kinda sucks and I don't really feel like jumping through hoops for something a mediocre skilled developer at Farsight would need to spend one frigging day on, a feature paying customers have been asking for years.

Archived