How Do I Get "original" Brownish/orange Colors On Dmd?

AndersE

Isn't there an inbuilt original palette? Or do i have to set that in EVERY table manually?

As it is now there are all sorts of colors on every table i tried.

If i set in my crashing pin2dmd exe the orange color, i get on the display blue, red, green, and yellow i different hues.

Found the option in vpinmame settings to set all tables to use pindmd, but it does not work for me.

It does not save my settings either for dmd or colors. I still need to change in each and every table.

From what I gather it needs to be set in vpinmame then if custom load palette in each table start or maybe 2.0 or greater firmware works but that is no longer open source you need to pay for it it's probably working in the paid version I would hope but I don't know I don't have the paid version

• 11 months later...

Can anyone shed some light on this topic? I really would like to have the "original" Brownish/orange Colors" on my DMD for certain tables but do not seem to get the right settings. The default vpinmame settings do not produce the authentic look.

Is there a specific color code setting available or a default color palette I can use? Much appreciated!

Thanks Dom, I know palette 8 should reassemble orange but to me it is far from the original brown/orange code and looks more like yellow/orange. I was just wondering if anyone has come close to the original and knows which color codes to use in vpinmame.

Does/can anyone want to share there settings in vpinmame?

PS Dom, is there an easy way to use default palette settings (0-8) with tables without having to use the pin2dmd tool? Thanks :)!

You can set the colour in VPinMAME if you want. Just run a DMD table then hit F1 and set the colour there. Restart by pressing F3 and keep doing that until you are happy with the orange hue your DMD is displaying. Take note of that colour code.

To then set that for all your DMD tables, download and run SetDMD from http://www.pinballbulbs.com/files/setdmd.html and run it. Follow the instructions on that site and you should be ablwe to work out how to set that asame orange for ALL your tables.

If you choose the Set as Default then every new table will automatically acquire that orange as the DMD colour.

Thanks OzStick, I know how to change the colors but I was looking for the right setup as I cannot replicate the right color settings via VPINMAME. So if anyone has found the right color setting (hue/sat/lum and red/green/blue code) and intensity (66%/33%/Off) setting I would be very interested and thankfull if anyone could share that.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, senseless said:

As the hardware is in the majority of the cases similar or the same I expected same color outputs.

I would not believe how different these chinese panels and SMD LEDs are.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:07 AM, senseless said:

As the hardware is in the majority of the cases similar or the same I expected same color outputs.

Thanks L:ucky1, for giving me a good starting point. I will post my calibration when I'm done :).

thanks!  This is something I noticed in my testing too.  (Pin2DMD v2.37 ) The Pinball Arcade looks awesome when Pin2DMD is running the DMD. In the 2 tables I have working on VPX, VPinMame is like an orange with a reddish second colour. Not as nice.  

I'm still using default settings.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:07 AM, senseless said:

Thanks L:ucky1, for giving me a good starting point. I will post my calibration when I'm done :).

any luck with the DMD colours?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kiwi, sorry for the late reply but I was on holiday for two weeks and was at the Texas Pinball Festival :). I tried a lot but whatever I do I can't get near the original brownish color. The reddish second color remains in all the custom settings I try so I'm beginning to accept this is something I need to accept. Will keep 0n trying but my expectations are low.

On 4/2/2017 at 4:50 PM, senseless said:

Hi Kiwi, sorry for the late reply but I was on holiday for two weeks and was at the Texas Pinball Festival :). I tried a lot but whatever I do I can't get near the original brownish color. The reddish second color remains in all the custom settings I try so I'm beginning to accept this is something I need to accept. Will keep 0n trying but my expectations are low.

No worries.  Well with Pinball Arcade the DMD shows the colours correctly, so it can't be hardware related.  For some reason in Visual Pinball the colours dont come out the same. Someone must have the settings dialed in.. 

2 hours ago, senseless said:

Ok thanks. Did not try PBA yet on the DMD but will give it a try this weekend.

Hopefully we find someone that has the right settings :).

I just checked my photo/video collection, I don't have any shots from PBA of the DMD, sorry. 

• 6 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 8:30 PM, lucky1 said:

How the colors come out depend on the display.. Here is a good starting point for your personal setup

100% R238 G102 B32
66% R170 G56 B8
33 % R102 G38 B0
0% R0 G0 B0

Thanks, this was a good starting point and below is what I ended up with;

Red   Green  Blue   Hue    Sat    Lum
100% 254   65          1          10       238   120
66%       85    21         0          10       240     40
33%        13    0           0            0        240      6
0%             0     0           0         160         0        0

Happy to share the palette file if people want it...

Thanks, this was a good starting point and below is what I ended up with;
             Red   Green  Blue   Hue    Sat    Lum
100% 254   65          1          10       238   120
66%       85    21         0          10       240     40
33%        13    0           0            0        240      6
0%             0     0           0         160         0        0
Happy to share the palette file if people want it...
Thanks for sharing and would love to have the palette :).

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, monza said:

I'm looking for a palette file (or guide how to make one) for the Stern SAM tables that have the extra shades of orange... Tried choosing "Palette 8 (orange)" in the dropdown but didn't work....

Orange is always mixed from RGB which makes it harder to find the right setting. Especially when you want to have 16 shades of it.
BTW most of the original Stern machines come with red displays.

10 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Orange is always mixed from RGB which makes it harder to find the right setting. Especially when you want to have 16 shades of it.
BTW most of the original Stern machines come with red displays.

Cool, was hoping someone else had worked it out before I had a crack. Took me long enough to get 3 shades of orange that I was happy with it.

Is there a red palatte file I can use as a starting point? Like you say can use for some like Ironman etc but want a good orange for tables like Tron.

Archived