Please Help With Evil Dead P-Roc!

imagamejunky

• 5 months later...

So I had this game working on my old PC and I had a hard disk error so it was time to get a new PC. The new PC is running windows 10 64bit and I have vpx/vpinmame/skeletongame/python loaded and running.

I can launch the evil dead from python and the display runs perfectly. I registered the VPROC controller and it says it registered fine.

When I launch any p-roc game I get this error. I thought perhaps it was an issue with my vp_game_map yaml but it matches perfectly to my old PC along with every other file. Anyone see this error and fix it? I also tried the suggestions from Horseys page to no avail.

https://github.com/horseyhorsey/proc-visual-pinball/blob/master/README_2.7.md

image.png.669e3d0cbd3069ab6c5ada01a1d0a86d.png

• Content Provider

This doesn't look like the complete error message, so it could be something simple like a syntax error in one of the game code files.

Did you 'pip install requests'?  

I think it makes a difference if you were copying over files from a back-up versus just starting over with a new install. If you think something is fundamentally wrong with the install then it might be good to clear and start over using the P-ROC_Offline_Installer-v3.4 posted in the CCC table support thread. I've found that it is compatible with Horsey's tables. Requires entering 'pip install requests' in the command line after completing Step 1 and Step 2.

Yes, this was a new install from scratch. I merely copied over my working vp_game_map yaml since it has all of the games in it. Same folders, same everything. It looks like its bombing on the display window when its getting drawn. 

Getting this VP bridge to work is the hardest thing in VP, honestly.  I tried the offline installer 3.4 and could not get the vproc.controller to initialize. THen I went back and started over again with the skeleton game installer (http://skeletongame.com/files/proc_env_installer_wHD_1.27.exe) and got the vproc controller to initialize but when it goes to load the LCD window it dies. So close.....

• Content Provider

Last couple of years, I've only used the offline installer (automated by ninuzzu), default install (everything on C drive). No backup of vp_game_map.yaml. The default file works for me out of the box. I think all known projects are already listed in that file. Works perfectly. You might make sure that files are unblocked. I don't recall about running bats as admin. I might have done that although the bat tries to get admin permissions automatically for you. You might try rolling back completely/uninstalling  and trying again.

Sorry, I can't be much more help. I did install manually years ago when the VP bridge was first introduced, but I've very much appreciated having the more automated approach. Had to do a hard system reset a couple of months ago, and I had no problem installing with v3.3 and nothing has changed in the Step 1 and Step 2 part of the process since v3.3.

• 6 months later...

I found 3 different directB2S files. 2 which have a black part on it where you have to drop the movie/score to (configure the config.yaml file) and one full B2S where you have to move it to the topper monitor (or in my case under)

So I used one of the black part B2S files and managed to get the screen centered on the black part of the B2S where it's supposed to be.

When I start the game, it opens nice "full screen" on top of the black part:

afbeelding.thumb.png.5650973df4b50e7a4342ca6040ef44f1.png

But when the game is loaded the movie is not full screen anymore but in the left top corner, but the score is still "full":

afbeelding.thumb.png.4977e257792a4927acc6bc95c0204b0b.png

How do other people have their Backglass?

I also tried the full Backglass together with the scoreboard on my Under monitor, but also then it's the same (movie in the top left corner):

afbeelding.thumb.png.7bd73cc0ec922b0d7f9b6f4614ccddb5.png

And now the most important question, does anyone know how to solve this?

I put it on my 3rd screen and More than likely your DMD will not fill out the whole area but it is what it is...

Part of the config.yaml file

dmd_dots_w: 550
dmd_dots_h: 300
dmd_dot_filter: true
dmd_window_border: False
dmd_always_on_top: true
desktop_dmd_scale: 1  -- TRY  1 - 4
dmd_framerate: 23.98
dmd_flip: 0
screen_position_x: 0   ------ Change this number to locate the DMD
screen_position_y: 0   ------ Change this number to locate the DMD

Thnx, then I have to accept the black borders around the screen, but much better then before.

Unfortunately you can't use desktop_dmd_scale: 3.5 or 3.74 or PROC crashes.

afbeelding.thumb.png.60a3c94a66a8b21c7b2596e13f7ad55c.png

I used these settings to get this on my Under monitor (I also have a PIN2DMD)

dmd_dots_w: 550
dmd_dots_h: 300
dmd_dot_filter: true
dmd_window_border: False
dmd_always_on_top: true
desktop_dmd_scale: 3
dmd_framerate: 23.98
dmd_flip: 0
screen_position_x: 3975
screen_position_y: 90

On 2/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, BlackPredator72 said:

Correct. dmd_scale is an integer (2,3,4,etc) you can't use a fraction like 3.5. It is what it is!

On 2/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, BlackPredator72 said:

Thnx, then I have to accept the black borders around the screen, but much better then before.

Unfortunately you can't use desktop_dmd_scale: 3.5 or 3.74 or PROC crashes.

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

no sir, CCC's b2s closes fine. I did find a post about adding something to the table script  something like - Sub Table1_exit ? I wasn't sure since its a p-roc table (I'm completely new to these tables) that it could be something else.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, darthwhat said:

no sir, CCC's b2s closes fine. I did find a post about adding something to the table script  something like - Sub Table1_exit ? I wasn't sure since its a p-roc table (I'm completely new to these tables) that it could be something else.

I noticed this table script already has that line but not at the end of the script like I read. Does that make a difference?

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread but can anyone help me get the DMD for Evil Dead to stay on top? I use desktop & the game plays great after installing Pip Requests but I can either have the DMD on top & not play the table or play the table & the DMD will disappear again!, Alt Tab does not help it get to the front !

Any help will be much appreciated

• 7 months later...

I can get the table to work fine (after practically doing everything short of a rain dance) but, for the life of me, I cannot get the B2S to work. I added in the "B2S.Server" line in the "Set Controller=Create Object" area but I am getting errors telling me it can't find the game at that point along with another Controller error. If I run it with VPROC.Controller, I can get the video window but no backglass.

On 10/5/2020 at 6:17 AM, stevegooner123 said:

I know this is an old thread but can anyone help me get the DMD for Evil Dead to stay on top? I use desktop & the game plays great after installing Pip Requests but I can either have the DMD on top & not play the table or play the table & the DMD will disappear again!, Alt Tab does not help it get to the front !

Any help will be much appreciated

When you start up the game mouse over the back glass and right click.  Then uncheck the box "Bring BG Form to front", save, and restart the table.   That is what I did and it worked.

• 6 months later...

Is there a guide somewhere on how to increase the DMD volume? I can hear the table sounds pretty good but the audio for the DMD and video clips is really low. I tried hitting 0 to get into the service menu and then increase start sound level from 5 to 8 but it made no difference. Turning up my pin volume increases everything so the table sounds continue to be too loud.

• 8 months later...

I have had ED working for a few years now (with full backglass) on my 2-screen setup.

For those who say that PROC is not working or is near impossible to install, you're not far off. I sympathize with you completely.

It's worth it for Evil Dead, but Jaws and CCC have much better versions without the use of PROC, which I find to be pointless and an unnecessary headache.

It really says something when you can't play it again after closing it within VPX on my system. For myself, you literally have to restart VPX all over again just to play Evil Dead or use a frontend to play it without getting a crash and an error log the size of a Stephen King novel.

I seriously hope somebody builds Evil Dead without PROC because it's a great table and doesn't need the convoluted PROC set-up.

1 hour ago, tabascoman77 said:

I have had ED working for a few years now (with full backglass) on my 2-screen setup.

For those who say that PROC is not working or is near impossible to install, you're not far off. I sympathize with you completely.

It's worth it for Evil Dead, but Jaws and CCC have much better versions without the use of PROC, which I find to be pointless and an unnecessary headache.

It really says something when you can't play it again after closing it within VPX on my system. For myself, you literally have to restart VPX all over again just to play Evil Dead or use a frontend to play it without getting a crash and an error log the size of a Stephen King novel.

I seriously hope somebody builds Evil Dead without PROC because it's a great table and doesn't need the convoluted PROC set-up.

P-roc is not that hard to do anymore And its always best to close the Emulator when you Quit a game