Pin2Dmd Colorprism V2.0 Firmware

lucky1

3 minutes ago, benird said:

Yes this did work for me, but I stupidly corrupted my SATA drivers while doing it, so I had to reinstall Windows and after that it worked fine and the upgrade worked perfectly.  In hindsight I should have done as Lucky1 suggested and it would have had the same effect. However I was tired at the time and wasn't thinking. But yes as Lucky1 said you've got to make sure you've unplugged the USB cable that you use to play the tables with and you pug a cable into the opposite side (it is a different UBS connector) in order for ST-Link to work.

Hmmm... I'm doing the cable swap thing, so maybe it's a hardware problem after all for me :(  Bad luck with the SATA drivers lol ... back when my kids were babies and I was getting hardly any sleep I similarly screwed up my OS twice in a month and had to go through all the fun of reinstalling  <_<:D

Cheers for confirming anyway, hope your cab is all up and running again :)

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, smellar said:

Hmmm... I'm doing the cable swap thing, so maybe it's a hardware problem after all for me :(  Bad luck with the SATA drivers lol ... back when my kids were babies and I was getting hardly any sleep I similarly screwed up my OS twice in a month and had to go through all the fun of reinstalling  <_<:D

Cheers for confirming anyway, hope your cab is all up and running again :)

Yep that's the age I'm at, sure the kids are all school age but they're early primary, so me time is after they're in ed and the house is tidied up for the day. 

But yes, short of an OS reinstall to ensure the drivers are gone gone gone it sounds like it could be bad hardware :(

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, smellar said:

You suggested to benird that he must uninstall the device in Device Manager and it should then look for drivers next time it's detected.  However I don't see any ST device in Device Manager to remove :huh:  I'm starting to think my card has failed :(

Does anything change in the device manager when you plug in the ST-Link ?

7 hours ago, benird said:

Yep that's the age I'm at, sure the kids are all school age but they're early primary, so me time is after they're in ed and the house is tidied up for the day.

Don't worry, as they get older and more independent you do get more of your time back.  But the attitude and rebeliousness goes through the roof, and you start looking fondly back on the days when they were predictable and did as they were asked! :D

5 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Does anything change in the device manager when you plug in the ST-Link ?

The ST board lights up (LEDs 1, 2, 5, 7 and 8) when it's connected with the mini USB plug.  However nothing changes in Device Manager, and Windows doesn't make any sound to indicate it's detected new hardware.  I don't know what name the board should have in Device Manager so that I can try uninstalling it (or pointing the device to the correct drivers which is the suggestion in the manual).

I'll get in touch with the seller I bought the assembled board from and see if he can give me any clues  He might have set the board in a custom configuration that I need to change - like moving a jumper or something.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, smellar said:

Don't worry, as they get older and more independent you do get more of your time back.  But the attitude and rebeliousness goes through the roof, and you start looking fondly back on the days when they were predictable and did as they were asked! :D

The ST board lights up (LEDs 1, 2, 5, 7 and 8) when it's connected with the mini USB plug.  However nothing changes in Device Manager, and Windows doesn't make any sound to indicate it's detected new hardware.  I don't know what name the board should have in Device Manager so that I can try uninstalling it (or pointing the device to the correct drivers which is the suggestion in the manual).

I'll get in touch with the seller I bought the assembled board from and see if he can give me any clues  He might have set the board in a custom configuration that I need to change - like moving a jumper or something.

Please post a picture of your board

That posted a lot larger than I realised! :mellow:

LED 1 (top left) is blinking red on and off.  And in that photo LED 7 wasn't lit for some reason, although it's on and green when I look at the board right now.

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Looks O.K. so far. If you have the device manager open does any of the devices disappear when you unplug the USB or appear when you plug it in ?

No, when I plug and unplug the mini USB then Device Manager does not change at all.

If I plug/unplug the micro USB then a new "PIN2DMD" entry appears/disappears in Device Manage under "libusb-win32 devices".

Hello.

Pin2DMD working well on my pincab. Wanted to put it in my indiana jones williams.

I've updated to latest, put on SDcard the pin2dmd.key pin2dmd.pal from altpallet zip, and pin2dmd.dat saved with bally/williams.

the board boots but stays on BALLY/WILLIAMS

If i upload boot.fsq, there is a colored spiral that stucks after a while.

any idea ??

thanks

• Content Provider

Then something is wrong with your ST-Link. You can try to update your firmware using DFU mode by putting a jumper on PIN Boot0 and the pin next to it.
You also need the DFU util as described on pin2dmd.com installation.

• Content Provider
6 minutes ago, BENETNATH said:

Hello.

Pin2DMD working well on my pincab. Wanted to put it in my indiana jones williams.

I've updated to latest, put on SDcard the pin2dmd.key pin2dmd.pal from altpallet zip, and pin2dmd.dat saved with bally/williams.

the board boots but stays on BALLY/WILLIAMS

If i upload boot.fsq, there is a colored spiral that stucks after a while.

any idea ??

thanks

Already answered on pinside. 

Hi lucky1 . Indeed, just saw.

So basically, can you confirm that if i want to have only the board connected without PC, i shall have a SDcard with pin2dmd.key pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.dat ?

FW is 2.55

the pin2DMD is working without issue for pincab, so i haev only added dupont cable for dot input,  based on the pdf i've found without resistors for now.

Dot-input to P1 on ST32

1 to A3

3 to A2

5 to A1

7 to A0

9 to A5

11 to A7

and all other to GND

I'm posting here as this forum as a notification system, easier to follow

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Then something is wrong with your ST-Link. You can try to update your firmware using DFU mode by putting a jumper on PIN Boot0 and the pin next to it.
You also need the DFU util as described on pin2dmd.com installation.

I reached the same conclusion :(

I assume "DFU mode" means the instructions for using the DfuSE Utility?  I'll look at this tonight and see how I go.  Thanks for you assistance lucky1 :)

7 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Yes use DfuSE with the STM32 in boot mode.

Thanks for confirming lucky1.

After a lot of extra reading on the ST site and searching for videos on youtube I managed to get the firmware updated using DfuSE.  I believe the DfuSE instructions on pin2dmd.com are wrong because one of the steps says "4) Connect the controller board to the PC using a mini-USB cable", but it needed to be the micro-USB cable connected.

As recommended in the instructions I downloaded the zip of the latest firmware (v2.55), but now that it has installed I have two new weird things happening ...

• First is that the DMD no longer boots with only the micro-USB cable connected like it used to. i have to plug both the micro and mini USB connectors in together otherwise the Discovery card doesn't boot at all. No idea what that's about!
  • Second is that the PIN2DMD is reporting it is not activated and keeps showing the serial number. When I run the latest version of PIN2DMD.EXE that I can find (v2.53 which comes in the zip with firmware v2.55) - with my activation key file in the same folder with the executable - it fails and shows "Error: Firmware version not supported! Please upgrade!"

I'm honestly wishing now that I'd never started trying to upgrade this... :(

• Content Provider

The DfusSE upgrade installation is for the custom DMDST32 controller which has a miniUSB instead microUSB of the Discovery board.
Normally you should be able to upgrade the Disco board through ST-Link

The first error comes from a wrong firmware version of the ST-Link module.  Read the note on http://pin2dmd.com/installation/ point 1

!! Note : Latest Discovery boards MB997D may need a ST-Link firmware update from here
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/development-tool-software/stsw-link007.html

The second comes from a bad USB connection.

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

The DfusSE upgrade installation is for the custom DMDST32 controller which has a miniUSB instead microUSB of the Discovery board. Normally you should be able to upgrade the Disco board through ST-Link.

Understood.  But your site explains how to update PIN2DMD firmware using either ST-Link or DfuSE ... both instructions say to connect the miniUSB, but every resource I looked at online says the DfuSE method uses microUSB instead and this was also what I found necessary when updating using DfuSE.

The first error comes from a wrong firmware version of the ST-Link module.  Read the note on http://pin2dmd.com/installation/ point 1.

Ah okay.  I did note I had a MB997D board which was a candidate for the ST-Link firmware update.  However because I'm not able to make ST-Link connect to the device at all, I don't believe I can apply this update.  I'll probably just need to leave both USB cable connected all the time.

The second comes from a bad USB connection.

A bad physical connection?  Like a problem with the USB cable?

Thank you for your advice on all this lucky1!

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, smellar said:

Understood.  But your site explains how to update PIN2DMD firmware using either ST-Link or DfuSE ... both instructions say to connect the miniUSB, but every resource I looked at online says the DfuSE method uses microUSB instead and this was also what I found necessary when updating using DfuSE.

As I said, the custom pin2dmd controller without ST-Link has only a miniUSB connector. All online docs you find refer to a the discovery board with ST-Link. So the doc is fine.

Ah okay.  I did note I had a MB997D board which was a candidate for the ST-Link firmware update.  However because I'm not able to make ST-Link connect to the device at all, I don't believe I can apply this update.  I'll probably just need to leave both USB cable connected all the time.

10 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Download the software and give it a try anyways.

A bad physical connection?  Like a problem with the USB cable?

The error message comes when the pin2dmd.exe does not receive a response from the pin2dmd controller.

Try to change the microUSB cable and/or USB port on your PC

52 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

As I said, the custom pin2dmd controller without ST-Link has only a miniUSB connector. All online docs you find refer to a the discovery board with ST-Link. So the doc is fine.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you meant! I get it now :)

53 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Download the software and give it a try anyways.

I still have it, so I'll give it another try.  Maybe using a different computer will make a difference.

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

The error message comes when the pin2dmd.exe does not receive a response from the pin2dmd controller. Try to change the microUSB cable and/or USB port on your PC

Ahhh I see.  And alright I'll do that again (I tried swapping things around yesterday) and hope it works this time.  Thanks again.

16 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Try to change the microUSB cable and/or USB port on your PC

All working :D  I didn't have another microUSB cable to try, and I tried every USB port with no success.  In the end I uninstalled all software/drivers for the Discovery and PIN2DMD boards, and also unplugged my Pinscape board in case that was interfering.  Eventually I was able to get ST-Link working properly and upgraded the Discovery firmware, then reinstalled the v2.55 firmware through ST-Link, and finally was able to activate PIN2DMD again.

Thank you so much for your assistance lucky1 :)  I understand PIN2DMD better now so I think I can keep myself out of trouble in future! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So finally found time to test with DE 128x16 games. (firmware 2.55)

Here are my conclusions, if it can help somebody :

- CHECKPOINT and TMNT (512K display prom) :

ENHANCER must be OFF

Only 2 colors found used, No 1 in palette for background and No 16 for animations and text

- BATMAN, STAR TREK and HOOK :

ENHANCER must be ON

4 colors found, additional No 2 and No 5 in palette used in various animations.

Remarks :

- I Don't make extensive game play tests, so it's possible I dont see all colors used.

- Sometime you should validate color change in palette more than one time in pin2dmd.exe before it is used

- In Batman I see some animations wich are not correctly displayed

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, tbrioux said:

So finally found time to test with DE 128x16 games. (firmware 2.55)

Here are my conclusions, if it can help somebody :

- CHECKPOINT and TMNT (512K display prom) :

ENHANCER must be OFF

Only 2 colors found used, No 1 in palette for background and No 16 for animations and text

- BATMAN, STAR TREK and HOOK :

ENHANCER must be ON

4 colors found, additional No 2 and No 5 in palette used in various animations.

Remarks :

- I Don't make extensive game play tests, so it's possible I dont see all colors used.

- Sometime you should validate color change in palette more than one time in pin2dmd.exe before it is used

- In Batman I see some animations wich are not correctly displayed

Thanks for testing ! I used Checkpoint and StarTrek to develop the firmware and from the data side it is like you described.
Checkpoint only uses 2 shades and StarTrek uses 4 shades on some of the animations. I think I have to burn a Batman ROM 
to check what causes the display problems on this machine. Can you describe a little more detailed or make a video ?

Archived