Pin2Dmd Colorprism V2.0 Firmware

lucky1

• Content Provider
10 hours ago, UncleSash said:

Which Software Settings I has to use? I mean which Inout type?
Because I like to test it with my DE original DMD (that hopefully works...) that I bought.

The firmware is not released yet.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider
1 hour ago, Sibi said:

ups..... it want fit☹

preparing new frame

20171002_173338.jpg

20171002_173255.jpg

The discovery shield will NOT support 128x16 DMD. You need to use the Nucleo board for this.
Please open a new thread for your 128x16 testing to keep this thread for firmware updates

• Content Provider

New version 2.43

V2.43

- automatically reset config to default when no valid config is found
- added DataEast 128x16 mode (config through onscreen only)
- changed color handling for Gottlieb V2
- fix palette issue for vpin
- other minor changes

On 10-10-2017 at 7:04 PM, lucky1 said:

New version 2.43

V2.43

- automatically reset config to default when no valid config is found
- added DataEast 128x16 mode (config through onscreen only)
- changed color handling for Gottlieb V2
- fix palette issue for vpin
- other minor changes

Installed this version and yes, 10 / 10 it works fine now when starting a table from PBX : the colors on the pin2dmd are kept well where before 2 out of three went wrong.

Thanks for the update and your work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lucky,

can I ask for your support? Tried everything I could come up with but no clue...

I migrated my VP PC to win7/64 coming from win7/32.   Therefore I made a backup of all my VP files and dir and installed Win7/64 on a fresh SSD.

After that and all the Windows updates I used the VP all-in-1 installer and after that I moved all my files from the backup to the SSD.

ThenI got problems with pin2dmd,   my firmware was 2.43 and running VPX it says "Error: firmware not supported please upgrade".

Because now it's a 64 bit machine I copied dmddevice64.dll to the pinmame dir but same result.

After some try-and-error I found out that everything is OK when running firmware and the .dll's from V2.41  so, VPX is fine and PBX is fine.

Trying to install 2.43 or 2.44 gives the same error  "Error: firmware not supported please upgrade".

But..,,, strange thing: if I directly after installing the firmware (and I put the dll's in pinmame)  run the corresponding colorprism and I press "reset device" it will reset the device but it gives the same error "Error: firmware not supported please upgrade" so, this is without visual pb or pbx, only the files from the github section.

The way I update : first install firmware with STLink utility, this is all fine.
Then:

from integration -> pinmame copy dmddevice.dll ,dmddevice.h and libusbK.dll to pinmame dir
from integration -> pinmame copy dmddevice64.dll , and libusbK.dll to pinmame dir (this libusbk is much smaller then the first one: now 52,8kB versus 82,3kB)

That's it.   I did do a search function on the total SSD to see where .dll's are but only in PBX.

I do see a 2nd directory in Pinmame called DMDext and this also has the same dll's. 

When it  was running ok (2.41) I removed this dir to not have duplicate drivers and 2.41 was still working.

Later when testing I also did put back this dir and updated the drivers in here  like I did in pinmame dir but same error.

Do you have any clue where to look?    I think most important here is that 2.41 works fine and that also colorprism gives same error.

This DMDext dir with the dll's is this necessary? 

BTW: when I was running 32bit 2.43 did not have any problems.

Thank you for your support.   

• Content Provider

dmddevice64.dll is for vpinmame64 which is not updated regularly and does not have any advantage.

The all-in-1-installer installs the 32bit version of vpiname so use 32bit version of dmddevice.dll etc instead
and remove all 64bit dll versions. 

• Content Provider
On 23.10.2017 at 2:19 PM, Joppnl said:

ThenI got problems with pin2dmd,   my firmware was 2.43 and running VPX it says "Error: firmware not supported please upgrade".

try to

1. UNINSTALL the Pin2DMD in the Device Manager
  2. unplug the USB Cable from Pin2DMD Shield
  3. restart the PC
  4. exit PBX (when it starts auto)
  5. connect the USB to Pin2DMD Shield
  6. try if it works
  7. when not, run the ".\PIN2DMD-master\usb_driver\zadig_2.1.2.exe" tool and install the WinUSB Driver for Pin2DMD (when the Pin2DMD is not in your list, click on "Options" and mark "List ALL Devices")

59efd9167e64c_zdiagpin2dmdwinusb.jpg.3d638eb51ce9cf9844e5ab5f8ae09d19.jpg

works now?!

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions.

I spend a couple of hours trying to make it work...did everything( and more) I could come up with but with no succes.

It's gonna be a long story what I did but I hope you will go through it so we can exclude as much as possible and may-be find a solution. 

OK...here we go:

Here was a long tekst but...I think I've found something.........

As long as I DO NOT touch pin2dmd Colorprism   I do have a working dmd within VPX!

But...... once I touch Colorpism  (and I reset the device) I got the Error. 

After that error gotten once no VPX with display is possible, even not after a full power off / on.

What I did now is delete the driver in device manager, opened zadig, insatlled it again and I got it back working now....won't touch it..and I hope it will continue to work....

I must say... I tried that earlier (deleting and installing the new driver) but that didn't work  at that moment.

But now when it didn't work anymore after colorprism even Zadig couldn't find the device anymore so I rebooted the PC, did a firmware update (same version 2.44, ST Link was able to see the pin2dmd where Zadig was not anymore) then run Zadig, pin2dmd again in the list, install driver and ..got it working.

For me as I see it now....colorprism on 64bit in this version ...I'm not sure but for now (tested 5 times) it's working as long as I do not touch this program....

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, Joppnl said:

But now when it didn't work anymore after colorprism even Zadig couldn't find the device anymore so I rebooted the PC, did a firmware update (same version 2.44, ST Link was able to see the pin2dmd where Zadig was not anymore) then run Zadig, pin2dmd again in the list, install driver and ..got it working.

ST-Link uses the Mini USB while pin2dmd uses the Micro USB. That is something completely different. Never touch the ST-Link with Zadig.

What do you mean with touch Colorprism ? Which error message ?

Colorprism: I mean the pin2dmd exe file as it comes with the package under \tools.

When I run that: first thing I noticed is that it takes more time than I was used to see : now it takes about 20..25 seconds before it comes up where normally it was almost direct.

But it comes up, then I press 'reset device'.. it does reset the device but then comes with the error message " "Error: firmware not supported please upgrade".

eo0.png

As soon as this message comes up I can make it disappear by clicking OK but then VPX will give the same message when starting a table.

I do not know what happens if I do not press reset device but only use brightness or so... I was using the reset button to see if the firmware programming was correct but then the problems as described occur.

Now....after a re-install of everything and NOT using pin2dmd / reset device   it works with the latest firmware (I can tell by unplugging / plugging in the device) in VPX and PBX.

Thanks for your support!

• Content Provider

You seem to have a problem in USB communication to your micro usb port. Pin2DMD.exe is not receiving the config information from the device.
You can try using a different dedicated USB port and / or a different cable. It could also be a USB 3.0 problem. Which drivers do you use in Zadig ?

Using this driver :

pin2dmddriverinstall0.png

Strange thing is....cable is connected with USB2...worked until now perfect. And no problem with 2.41  so I do not know if it's hardware related.....

Does pin2dmd use the .dll files?

PS: I do use pin2dmd/ reset function in the normal mode, connected to the same usb port on the pin2dmd board  to play the tables)

If there's anything I can test for you let me know.

12 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Do the other functions except reset work on pin2dmd.exe ? 

The short answer is YES. 

I can change everything....brightness, color palette etc. When I exit the pin2dmd program I can run tables, exit the tables, go back into the pin2dmd program, modify etc, no problem.

As long as I do not press the reset device button.     When I do that, I do see the display performing a reset and coming back but the program responds with the error as described.

Trying to run a table now gives the same error.

What is working this evening: unplugging the device @ USB port and replug it, pin2dmd will reboot and start and everything is fine, I can do whatever I want as long as I do not touch the reset device button.

One other strange thing: when it works and I exit a table the display will blank so no info on display at all, perfect. When I start pin2dmd normally the screen comes up with the pin2dmd logo and the blue letters underneath it and I can perform brightness controll etc (but not touch reset device).

Now...this works mostly but I also had it a couple of  times that there was no reset at power up,, display remains black.  I can change the brightness  slider with no erro but of course I do not see any change on the display (it's black...).   
Exiting the pin2dmd gives no error but when I start a table, no display is being displayed and also no error this time.

Need to exit the table and perform the unplug - reset and everything is ok.

So...for me....it will work as long as I do not perform a Device Reset in the pin2dmd program.  Most of the time the pin2dmd gives no problems (besides  the Reset Device, that is a 100%)  so as long as it works with VPX and PBX it's ok with me....nevertheless strange. Never had these problems  before changing to 64 bit and 2.41 and that pin2dmd works fine, later versions (2.43, 2.44) does not but I'm not blaiming anything, could be anything, no clue but I'm glad it works perfect with VPX and PBX.

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Please try this version. Seems that the newer firmware needs a little bit longer to boot.

pin2dmd.exe

.EXCELLENT!...     This one works fantastic..no problems at all.  Can do reset, can do everything, then reset again...everything works!

Can you tell me what you changed? What was the problem??

Thank you! 

• Content Provider

New version on github

V2.45

- fix bug with SD card reader
- fix reset crash in pin2dmd.exe tool
- updated dmddevice.dll with features from latest editor version
- new XL firmware 2.05 with support for newest bleeding free P2 panels

Hello Lucky, 

can I ask for your support on this one?

When firing up the cab and pin2dmd the first table and the dmd works fine.  But after closing that table (and VPX) and running a new table the display stays blank, no info at all.

Also no error, VPX works fine except no display at all.    When starting PBX, same. No display at all.

Need to start pin2dmd Colorprism and "| Reset Device".   After that, display comes up with the initional pin2dmd display (the coloured blocks and firmware version) and after that it's possible to run a table again with display.

It's not always the case it's not working right, sometimes it's just fine, sometimes it's the 3rd or 4th table that does not wordk but it does happen quite often.

I'm on version 2.45 but an other user told me he experienced this problem also when he was moving from 2.43 to 2.44   His experience is that it was ok in 2.43 but after that the problem arises.

Can you please have a look?

Thanks!

• Content Provider

Thanks for the report and testing ! 

Could you please check if it is only happening when colorize checkbox is checked ?

We introduced a new memory management for colorization data  in 2.44 to free up space for larger projects
which may be the root of the problem.

BTW Last stable release is 2.41

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/releases

15 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Thanks for the report and testing ! 

Could you please check if it is only happening when colorize checkbox is checked ?

We introduced a new memory management for colorization data  in 2.44 to free up space for larger projects
which may be the root of the problem.

BTW Last stable release is 2.41

https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/releases

Will test it but needs to wait 'till tomorrow...will report then to you.

Archived