Important Note About The Future Of Pin2Dmd

lucky1

• Content Provider

I dont like this kind of academic discussion. Until now nobody but lucky and me contributed a single line of code. And again everybody is welcome to serve the community and contribute. He or she will get access to the codebase and can contribute to his or her own conditions of course. So please reach out to lucky and me, you're welcome.

Even more the editor is almost completely open source and can be used for different projects as well, just add more import filters or export formats. No limits.

The only things thats cut out right now is binary export for pin2dmd.

Cheers Steve

"Open source" is kind of like being pregnant, you either are or you are not.  There's no "almost completely." :D

You can license it however you want, but it's easier to get contributors when it's actually open source rather than almost.

--Donnie

• Content Provider

Donnie,

with all respect to your experience with opensource projects, but this is not at all comparable to Red Head Linux

you have your experience from. The amount of users for this device is really small as you can see from 850 totally

sold PINDMD devices since 2011. The risk that we lock out one contributor which  is to shy to ask is really about

zero and all discussion about it senseless. Enough said - back to work.

Lucky1

You're right, my 26 years of open source experience isn't relevant.  Good luck!  So far your locking methods aren't just locking out potential developers, they've locked out the users, too.  Users who may have had the ability to fix it themselves if they had asked for source code access from the beginning, I guess.  But if they didn't, well, they're sitting there waiting for the project czar to fix it for them.  Yay "almost open source"!

--Donnie

He is doing it specifically to get on Donnie's nerves... it worked

I got a good laugh.  Especially since I can assure you it seems to be bugging lucky1 and Steve a lot more than it's bugging me.

Someone buy my board and I promise to close this tab from my browser and not return for quite some time.

--Donnie

I'm very, very confused now :(

been out of the forums for a while and now I'm afraid to update my board...if still is doable... ?!?!

I stopped reading about updates once I got all the hardware and started playing around with it all. Now only a couple of weeks later, with all the changes to software, firmware AND hardware it's very difficult to keep track of it all. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to work out what I should or shouldn't do!

I have the Rev1.3 Shield - can someone please chime in and advise me on what is the latest version of firmware and software I "should" be running on this? I recall Lucky1 replying to me in another thread that I should no longer have to worry about the driver fix for having 2 devices listed in the Device Manager, but that only confused me more.

Maybe a pinned thread with a list of all the relevant versions of files to be run with the different revisions of Shiled PCB would be the best way to minimise confusion?

• Content Provider

As far as I know there never was an incompatible firmware version with any of the shield.

Shield revs have simply improved over time with regards to input filter circuit and connectors.

So you should be able to use the latest released firmware with any shield.

As far as I know there never was an incompatible firmware version with any of the shield.

Shield revs have simply improved over time with regards to input filter circuit and connectors.

So you should be able to use the latest released firmware with any shield.

OK, so I've badly misinterpreted something somewhere in there!

That means I can run the latest firmware along with the PIN2DMD 2.0 software and the new(er) driver?

• 3 weeks later...

'Last but not least Steve and I were "kindly asked" by the owner of a US patent to stop integrating

colorization techniques of any kind, like smartdmd and others, because he believes it is all his intellectual property.'

I have some questions about this comment:

1-He believes?

2-what is the patent number and contents?

3-what kind of patent is that?

Archived