Help Me Pick A New Graphics Card

ViriiGuy

i was intrigued by the answers here.

now i'm running a GTX 660 but i don't think its nearly powerful enough for those VPX tables (metallica/star trek won't work properly)
i was actually also looking at the GTX 970 but it's muy expensivo. priced at €400,-

i also have a 3 screen setup, with the backglass running on a 9800GT.

In my cab a gtx960 4 gb running for both displays the dmd is a pin2dmd and it is great to play all the new tables on vpx.

What graphics settings do you have?

Actually, i'm not very satisfied with my gtx 750 ti 4gb... I'd like to max out all settings, AA, AO, etc

Do you have everything maxed out and what fps?

Greets,

Dom

I don't recall where I read this, but I'm sure I did, that VPX is more CPU intense than VP9.  A GTX 750ti should be plenty horsepower to run VPX - *with a quad core processor*.  Can anyone on here give real world verification of that?  With the GTX 750, what CPU are you running?

i was just wondering, what do you think of this card: 

PCI-e Radeon R9 390 G1 Gaming 8GB

i can get this for € 350,-
according to a friend this is the equivalent of AMD for the GTX 970.
however this one has a little less Mhz (clock)speed and a little more memory and a 512bit bus.
i think it would do great in my cab, just wondering what you guys think.

^ so not true ;D

Guess who's chips are in the XboxOne and PS4. AMDs

I have owned 15 ati / AMD cards, and around 10 from Nvidia, and they are both great, with Nvidia normally getting a few fps more, and AMD delivering a better overall package

I have the smaller R9 380 8GB in my gaming PC and I am super happy with it. Plays the witcher 3 on high with some ultra settings at 40 fps. which is awesome for a 200 € card.

Should be more than enough for any VPX table.

Only thing is I remember the code of VP is optimized for Nvidia, but don't know if that still counts.

My cab uses an old nvidia 560 ti, and still manages to get 120 fps on VPX tables, but on full load.

So every 300€ + card should be very good, even may go for around 200€.

Edit: just read the above posts.

3 screens from a single card does perform better, because the cards don't have to communicate and share bandwidth across the motherboard etc. which helps performance on a multi screen setup. You also avoid micro stutter, which is sometimes more annoying than low fps.

Also switching to a standard OS instead of server might help. Key for good performance is to have the latest directX and openGL runtimes and latest graphics cards drivers, don't know if all of this is available for win server.

Also switching to a standard OS instead of server might help. Key for good performance is to have the latest directX and openGL runtimes and latest graphics cards drivers, don't know if all of this is available for win server.

Actually, not true. My customized Server 2012 R2 gets 100 fps more on average than the exact same setup running XP or Windows 7.  And yes DirectX and OpenGL are available for Server OS's. :)

This is what I do for a living.

My cabinet, running Server 12, will boot to PinballX and ready to play in 12 seconds. It takes my playfield screen almost that long to come on.

And I don't care if AMD is used for PS4 and Xbox, they still can't compete with Nvidia.. As you said yourself, the Nvidia will have a higher frame rate.

thank you everyone, however i've ordered the AMD 390 with 8GB @ 6000Mhz and a 512bit bus.
tuesday (19th) i hope it gets delivered, i will be switching out my GTX 660.

mainly because of the VPX tables like Star Trek (amazing) and Demolition Man and Congo and i think a lot more to come, they just don't play that well right now.
if you haven't played that new TOTAN (jp salas) it's really good, almost just like the real pinball.

@ rappelbox

checked on startrek 4 x antialiasing enabled frames are 68, disabled 4 x antialising and extreme fxaa enabeld frames are 183, and with ambient occlusion enabled frames are 135 always object details level on max

Greeting

Karlson

Thank you

What about external AA? I switched in nvidia control panel to 8xAA but framerate doesn't seem to be affected, and I think it doesn't work really.

I have following with 750ti 4gb:

Vpx

4xAA 68-90fps

AO on, real-time on

Extreme textures on

No AA 160-170fps

AO off

No AA 120-130fps

AO on

With external settings maxed out, I get around 120fps, no difference if 8xAA or OFF!

Does anyone have suggestions?

Greets,

Dom

I am running a Core i3 4160 with AMD R7 260x 2gb and almost all tables (VP9, PM5, VPX, BAM/FP's) work flawlessly......  It was dirt cheap too.  I don't measure FPS - I use my eyes.  If my eyes detect any stutter then I work on that table - e.g. Sorpranos under VPX was a serious slowdown initially but now that works flawlessly 99% of every game with a lamp timer increase which aleviated ball stutter.....  I don't use AA or Amb Occ or anything like that though, but tables still look excellent - to my eyes anyway

• Content Provider

Small world.  I have an old 1992 Miata with a Bell Engineering Turbo Kit from like 1998 that I installed myself.  This was just before the Flyin Miata kits were released.   Doesn't get much use these days but it lives on.

I used to own Big Gulp, which was at the time the world's highest horsepower Supercharged miata on the planet. :D I lucked into it for a while... what a blast that thing was!!

My goals for this one are a lot more modest... 250 hp at the wheels and around 220 Tq. I swapped a Mazdaspeed motor and turbo into it in October.. Blew up the transmission in December... And well... one upgrade lead to another.. and now I will be replacing the entire turbo setup and intercooler.

Archived