Colorize Stern Roms With Pinball Browser

lucky1

• Content Provider

If you execute "pin2dmd.exe /b stkpro.dat" on the commandline your display should look like this.

Please verify. Of course stkpro.dat needs to be in the same directory

post-7772-0-04130100-1456836765_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi lucky are there  some good instructions  on colourising my star trek premium i purchased pinball browser used st macro and patched with original st rom but thats where i get stuck and the display is all browns when i run it  any help appreciated  not sure where the pal file comes from to go on sd card

• Content Provider

The smartdmd.txt gets generated by the macro when you execute it. To generate the pal file use pin2dmd editor - load palette - choose the smartdmd.txt file and export it for real pin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 7:15 PM, lucky1 said:

The smartdmd.txt gets generated by the macro when you execute it. To generate the pal file use pin2dmd editor - load palette - choose the smartdmd.txt file and export it for real pin.

thanks for that lucky, i think ive done it all right but i seem to still be getting all frames in a brown shades rather than lots of colours, the macro in pinball browser does it work for the le version as i have the premium which i think uses all the le software.

i did colour stern logo and that worked  ok on pinball am i missing something here do you think?

11 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Do you have the serial connection installed like described on https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/ ?

no have not done a serial connection, i did read some older posts about a serial connection and newer posts mentioning setting smart dmd in pinball browser as in frame, so was a bit confused if i needed the made up cable.so do you think that is my problem?

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

My STPRO has such a cable. Do you see the colored frames in pinball browser when you load the smartdmd.txt ?

when i install st bin file in pinball browser it is not the usual red it is a lot of shades of brown with letters and numbers in white and that was 1.61 and i tried 1.62 bin then i ran macro  0n 1.61 and was still that brown shade  so i colored  a few frames and put rom on the pinball and the color stayed colored so something works but it seems to be with the browser or something im doing wrong by the looks,  im using v 7.03 and i donated for full version so at the moment i am going back to the start and trying it with the pro rom but i seem to be getting out of memory in pb when i run the macro?

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, grimwasere said:

when i install st bin file in pinball browser it is not the usual red it is a lot of shades of brown with letters and numbers in white and that was 1.61 and i tried 1.62 bin then i ran macro  0n 1.61 and was still that brown shade  so i colored  a few frames and put rom on the pinball and the color stayed colored so something works but it seems to be with the browser or something im doing wrong by the looks,  im using v 7.03 and i donated for full version so at the moment i am going back to the start and trying it with the pro rom but i seem to be getting out of memory in pb when i run the macro?

You need to load the smartdmd.txt  with the "Configure your smartdmd device" button to see the pictures with the correct palettes. I also got some memory errors but ignored them.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

could someone who has already done the pinball browser colorization procedure with pin2dmd evo help?  

I am wanting to perform the colorization of the metallica, but it is the first time that I do this colorization procedure for stern / sam machines.  

I acquired the files of metallica 1.80 with J_M by means of a donation, but I did not find any simplified step by step or images / videos of this information on how to proceed.  

I downloaded the pinball browser but have not yet donated to use the program.  because I’m taking a preliminary look at it and I couldn’t understand how exactly I should proceed to effect the colorization.  things to me still seem confused, I also looked through the instructions on the pin2dmd website but I'm still in doubt (I apologize for that) and I still don't understand exactly how to proceed and at what time should I use and where to use the files I already have,  such as the file with .pbm extension.  

another question is related to the procedure, can I do any part of the procedure without the computer being connected directly to realpin or should it be done completely connected to the computer, since the beginning of the procedure?  

or can i do the procedure in pinball browser first and then perform a second step in realpin?

another question i'm having is where should i connect the sidechannel cable to pin2dmd?  

if anyone has a tutorial or a simplified guide on how to proceed with all this I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers

• Content Provider

There is absolutely no need to connect the computer to  the real pin. You only connect the pin2dmd evo to the SAM CPU using the sidechannel cable.

Patch the original firmware by running the macro you received from _J_M . You need a registered version of pinballbrowser to do that. When you run the macro
you are asked to enter your pinball serial number , which is printed on the sticker on the back of the cabinet.

Create the pin2dmd.pal with pin2dmd editor which is done through the following steps:

Load Palette - Select SmartDMD as type - Select the smartdmd.txt from_J_M which came with the macro - choose replace palettes 0-9 as load option - export project for real pin 

Copy pin2dmd.pal to the SD.

Copy the patched firmware to your pinball machine with a USB stick.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:12 AM, lucky1 said:

There is absolutely no need to connect the computer to  the real pin. You only connect the pin2dmd evo to the SAM CPU using the sidechannel cable.

Patch the original firmware by running the macro you received from _J_M . You need a registered version of pinballbrowser to do that. When you run the macro
you are asked to enter your pinball serial number , which is printed on the sticker on the back of the cabinet.

Create the pin2dmd.pal with pin2dmd editor which is done through the following steps:

Load Palette - Select SmartDMD as type - Select the smartdmd.txt from_J_M which came with the macro - choose replace palettes 0-9 as load option - export project for real pin 

ok Lucky1,

thank you very much for your reply!  

I'm going to donate a pinball browser to try to make this work.  

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Similar problem heare.

Trying to do colorisation for avengers.  I register pinball browser, load original firmware then select "load from repository". Its offers me only shharky file so i seleckt it and run it. I got strange messages like "its unusual to do pallete on non full frame..." and "not enough memory". Ignore memory message and on second message i try both options and result is same. I cant see colorised file in browser. So i dont try to flash pin. I use older discovery board with rs232 conection. 

Any suggestion?

Should i try flash pin when i dont see colorisation in pinball browser?

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2020 at 2:12 AM, lucky1 said:

I have this same problem, can’t get  J_Ms macro to work on pin2dmd evo on real Metallica pinball.  He wrote them for GPIO though...appears the pin2dmd does not allow this side cable?

Any ideas how to change his files to work for pin2dmd evo and real Pin. 

added frustration is PB throws hundreds of msgboxes over and over when running the macro so applying one is time consuming/frustrating. 

Oddly enough I was never asked to enter serial number (or I missed it). When does that msgbox pop up?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

So... Just trying to clarify something : do I absolutely need the sidechannel cable when colorizing (in this case a Stern Avengers) a ROM using the patch file, or can I just use "in frame" colorization (with the caveats that there are limitations) ?

I know the latest PIN2DMD firmware allows for direct PAL/FSQ mode of operation on SAM, but I could not find a colorization using this technique for Avengers.

And given that the Avengers in question is not mine, not at my place, I'd rather avoid going the route of the sidechannel cable

If sidechannel is absolutely required, from my understanding I should enable COMM support in Pinball Browser when generating the modified ROM, correct ?

Also, this Avengers is equipped it seems with a Discovery (yup) based PIN2DMD, any limitation I should know about compared to an EVO board ?

Thanks and regards

Sidenote: I had hundreds (if not thousands) of "Not enough memory" errors. I went through it all, but I can't figure out how the author could actually go through this colorization with all these errors