Colorize Stern Roms With Pinball Browser

lucky1

• Content Provider

We already have two working STERN ROMs which got colorized using Pinball Browser from here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

Pirates of the Carribean and Shrek are working fine. I also have macros for Metallica, ACDC and a ROM

of StarTrek here. Problem is that these are for the Limited Edition version of the machine and the current

hardware emulation in Pinmame is not correctly working with these LE ROMs (like Mustang).

I tried to port the colorization to the PRO version but that lead to another problem. They use a function

of pinball browser which is called "Extend Memory" which increases the file size of the ROM files to get

more space for colorized frames. After using this function some frames get skipped in PinMAME or

played back like pressing fast forward. The macros have a file size of 6MB compared to the Shrek macro

which has 2.5MB. The task is now to optimize these macros to make the colorization fit into the normal

file size of the ROM file. I wanted to open this thread to share the experience with pinball browser and to

ask if anybody wants to join or is already working on other Stern ROMs.

Lucky1 

Lucky, It's possible to have the macros of Metallica and Star Trek for try ? 

I have colorized 3/4 pictures on the Rom Metallica with Pinball Browser 550. I have no license and all work fine ( I have no patch with " bspatch " ).

Here is the pictures :

image54.jpg

image52.jpg

image53.jpg

image55.jpg

And 1 of Mustang :

image51.jpg

For mustang I have just select the palette " smartDmD " on Pinball Browser :)

Tomorrow I try Star Trek. 

Thanks Lucky for your files.

I have no Test ACDC because I don't have the table.

I have test with your macros. The Rom work but when I select a " palettes " I have also the same ( when a palette switch, the color rest the same, no changement .... ).

When is the MikeD files, I have a Black screen ... but the Rom work on my Pc screen ( the wrong palette for Pin2dmd ? ).

I will try later another way to proceed ( when I have more time ;) )

I have also test your mtl_164.dat ( just this file ) and it's work fine ;)

Just on picture ( if you want, I made a quick video ) :

image56.jpg

Here is a quick video of my ROM mod with Pinball Browser 550 ( only ).

I use your palette and here is my Macro : https://mega.nz/#!PUY0EBRD!qHuzgsK7tSkDPGKdn7Ba_XbrbcE29qZvmE5DTBFagg8

• Content Provider

I have test with your macros. The Rom work but when I select a " palettes " I have also the same ( when a palette switch, the color rest the same, no changement .... ).

You also need to load the smartdmd.txt file in the "SmartDMD" Submenu with "Configure your SmartDMD device"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Just found out what the problem is with colorized ROMs using Extend Memory function of pinball browser.

PinMame is simply not loading the additional data and therefore skips the animations because of the filesize

given in the profile. We simply have to add a profile for colorized game ROMS to the SAM pinmame source and

everything should work just fine.

• 1 month later...