85vett

Metallica Pro Fs Pm5

77 posts in this topic

Hey Vette

Awesome table, I've put in a load of games over the last week.

Few issues I've noticed (and some of them could be as designed!)

A shot to the captive balls seems to 9/10 bounce into the snake (after hitting the balls)

Quite often a direct shot into the snake bounces out - like there is a post in its mouth (is there?)

Orbit shots appear to be blocked by the post behind sparky (unless the shot is really slow up the left orbit - then it seems to drop) so all the left orbits bounce back and all the right orbits end up in the pops.
It does drop OK if you go for the super skill shot though.
(Is this by design now? - maybe they've changed the code - never played 161 on a real machine)
This also happens on the VPX table by Fren, so it looks ROM based?

After completeing the grave markers the magnet doesn't seem to energize and start the mode? (All graves down and hit the cross a couple of times, arrow flashing but it doesn't seem to register the hit)

However, I have slightly altered the Y scale of the table as I have a 16:10 screen - am I likely to have screwed some of this up by making that change?

Great table though :)

Captive ball.  That wall is round so if you are hitting the left side it should bounce left.  Right side would bounce into the snake.  Only a direct on shot would come straight back.

Post Behind Sparky - That post is rom controlled and will stop the ball most of the time.  Sometimes it does allow for it to go all the way around.  It's possible your changes effected things a bit though as I don't recall seeing any issues at all with it in testing nor did my testers.

Grave markers - This was a problem that I worked on in testing.  I really don't know if changing the scaling would impact that (it shouldn't though).   I tested that a whole lot before releasing and it was working fine on my cab as well as my testers.  In this case, I almost wonder if your ROM is delayed a bit (the post being slowed down to from the above) and the ball exits the area before it senses it was there.  You could try making the sensor (that green square) bigger, but not big enough to pass the last drop target.   Is anyone else having issues?

Cool - makes sense

The grave markers are a pain to test - that mode is a bastard to start with the best will in the world!

You might be right about the ROM being out of sync actually - I do rememeber thinking the ROM reaction to sparky hits seemed a bit delayed (not the model shaking - just the ROM callout) and I bet the sparky multiball magnet is on for longer than the grave marker one.

Would also explain why a really slow orbit shot allows the sparky post work correctly like you say

Question is can I do anything about it? I'm using the current ROM from stern's site and re-packed as normal, wonder if its just the new ROM (IIRC the table was built around one of the older ROMs?)

Pretty sure I'm on the lastest PinMAME, but I'll double check that.

Machine is i3 3.3Ghz/8GB/660, so I would suspect an emulation issue rather than a lack of raw grunt

Anyone else noticing this?

You could try one of the other roms (they are all on this site) to see if things change.

As for testing that part.  Here is a tip for everyone trying to test something.  Create a ramp that goes to the item you with to test.  Have it wide at the bottom and skinny at the top.  Now it will be much easier to hit that item as well as control where the ball goes back to after you hit the item.  For the graves.  Also, put a wall in the outlanes and center.  This way you can't drain which keeps you from having to start your test over.

As for the machine.  That set-up should run things fine.

Going nutz here.

I have followed all of the directions regarding the ROM and still no go.

Is it my Pinmame version? I think I am running 2.5.

Am I needing this to get Metallica to run:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2480-vpinmame-sam-for-desktop-cab-pindmd1-pindmd2-pin2dmd/

Thanks

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/1606-installing-1st-stern-tablenow-im-stuck/#entry26408

I've checked I'm on the latest (Dec) VPinMame, which I wasn't but am now - but that's not made any difference.

The top post behaves exactly the same in the VPX release, so that's 100% a ROM based issue (or 'feature') as you said

For the testing of the ROM emulation speed I was going to try a few older ROMs, but I can't find any of the earlier ROMS? 

MET_164 is on here and on Sternpinball.com, but a search of the downloads here doesn't show anything older? Or I am I being blind?

Finally got it working.

Man this table is demanding and is nearly bringing my hardware to its knees. Ive to to raise the "skip lamps" and "skip solenoids" to MAX in the DB2S settings to get the ball as fluid as possible. Still have micro stutters, but its playable.

Any other suggestions for tweaking performance?

Finally got it working.

Man this table is demanding and is nearly bringing my hardware to its knees. Ive to to raise the "skip lamps" and "skip solenoids" to MAX in the DB2S settings to get the ball as fluid as possible. Still have micro stutters, but its playable.

Any other suggestions for tweaking performance?

What are your computer specs, video card and operating system

What are your computer specs, video card and operating system

Dell T3400 Workstation

Core 2 Duo 3GHZ

8GB RAM

MSI Nvidia GTX7600

All of my other PM5 tables run fluid smooth. But Metallica is definitely taxing it now. I know I have a dated CPU, but everything else including VP10, runs nicely.

Now if I disable B2s active backglass, the table is fluid smooth except at the beginning of electric chair MB. It stutters huge till all of the balls are out then it smooths out nicely.

Is there a chance that the table is not yet completely optimized?

Dell T3400 Workstation

Core 2 Duo 3GHZ

8GB RAM

MSI Nvidia GTX7600

All of my other PM5 tables run fluid smooth. But Metallica is definitely taxing it now. I know I have a dated CPU, but everything else including VP10, runs nicely.

Now if I disable B2s active backglass, the table is fluid smooth except at the beginning of electric chair MB. It stutters huge till all of the balls are out then it smooths out nicely.

Is there a chance that the table is not yet completely optimized?

That could be

I would agree I think you're pushing your system

That could be

I would agree I think you're pushing your system

With respect to the CPU?

Is the video card sufficient?

With respect to the CPU?

Is the video card sufficient?

I have a Nvidia gtx660  2GB mem video card

Big Big imrovements.

I disabled the Aero and all of the significant stutters are totally gone and the ball if fluid smooth. There is an occasionally a very small and barely noticeable ball glitch but this very acceptable.

I am also now convinced there is a significant table glitch on multi-ball. When the balls are being auto plunged during multi-ball, it stutters terribly to the point where you lose control of the balls. Once all of the balls are plunged and your playing them on the table, the stutters totally disappear. I never see this same behavior on any other table. I even tried it with B2S off, still does it.

Can someone with kick ass hardware please test this. Just hit Sparky 8 times to start 3-ball multi-ball and see if you get stutter.

really thanks vett... GREAT AWESOME TABLE.

only 1 thing for folks like me have mechanical plunger with freescale in z- axis

i enabled mechanical plunger, it works, but i couldn't se p0,p1,p2,p3..... p21 movements

script and images seems ok?

i'm missing something?

Hey guys I m new here to this forum.

I have created a desktop MOD of this awesome table.

I hope you guys like it and maybe I am allowed to share it with you all. 

Unfortunatly the last upload in VP9 was made in august 2015 so maybe if this is a succes I can make more of these in the future.
But I must say I m not going to make much changes since I simply know too little about programming these tables.

Also I feel the need to respect the original developments as they were created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8iGAC9oTw

Greetings, Im just logging on to say a massive thanks for the table. Its awesome and plays really well. However, does anyone have a backglass image and playfield video for Pinball X? Thanks in advance

On that up post issue where the ball hits the post behind Sparky when going up the left orbit:  There was an issue with this for the VPX released table as well but there was a way to fix it posted.  It had to do with selecting the up post in the editor and tweaking some of the settings.  That post should stop the ball when shot up the left orbit and then drop immediately allowing the ball to drop into the bumpers.  I tried applying the VPX settings to this version, but it did not work the way it does on the VPX version.  I would really like to find a solution here as I like playing this table more than the VPX version.  When the up post operates correctly it can really help getting all the lights lit to increase the mystery score.

On that up post issue where the ball hits the post behind Sparky when going up the left orbit:  There was an issue with this for the VPX released table as well but there was a way to fix it posted.  It had to do with selecting the up post in the editor and tweaking some of the settings.  That post should stop the ball when shot up the left orbit and then drop immediately allowing the ball to drop into the bumpers.  I tried applying the VPX settings to this version, but it did not work the way it does on the VPX version.  I would really like to find a solution here as I like playing this table more than the VPX version.  When the up post operates correctly it can really help getting all the lights lit to increase the mystery score.

Might not be the best fix, but I selected the post and moved it about 30 pixels to the right, so the ball now drops into the bumpers after the left orbit shot.

Thanks for the tip.  That does help a little but with a hard shot up the left orbit, it still bounces back down.  The post seems to be on a timer in this table.  If you hit a soft/slow shot up the left orbit, the post will drop before the ball gets there.  When it's a hard shot the ball bounces off and comes back - then the post drops.  I am tinkering with this but nothing I have done has an effect.  Probably because I have no clue what I'm doing.  Also, the ball sometimes goes all the way into the snake's mouth then comes back out and drains right between the flippers.  I have been trying to figure out how to make that shot a little easier, getting the ball to stay in the mouth and have the shot register.

For the snake.  This happens on the real table ;-)   I set this table up to try and mirror the requirements of getting a clean shot in there to register the hit.  You can change that by adjusting the walls and making them come together quicker thus funneling the ball to the sensor.

Try adjusting the elasticity of the post if you are getting bounce outs from it.  That is software controlled on when it goes up and down so I'm not sure how to adjust when it's going up and down and for how long.