Pin2Dmd Real Pinball Support

lucky1

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks marioc, These instructions are so loosely held together because of changes. I almost want to just install the older version of this project and be done with it :/

Also, is this the reason the sd card  isnt working? Because of some lock? 

thanks marioc, These instructions are so loosely held together because of changes. I almost want to just install the older version of this project and be done with it :/

Also, is this the reason the sd card  isnt working? Because of some lock? 

It's never getting past the boot stage, because it's "unregistered". Get it registered, and then start worrying about the SD card. :)

It's never getting past the boot stage, because it's "unregistered". Get it registered, and then start worrying about the SD card. :)

I "worried" about the sd card because when I go through the written instructions on github it says nothing about it being locked out. There is no additional cost for this right?

I have been following this forum for a few months and yes the instructions are a bit hard to get a grip on with changes happening.

You have the display assembled and showing the code so you must have followed some instructions ok.

PM lucky for the registration key.

I too had problems with SD cards , Lucky mentioned in a post somewhere that it seems to be hit and miss as to which SD cards will work.

I ended up finding some 2gb cards from the local Electronics shop that worked. They were branded TransCend 2Gb. The cheap 1Gb ones I got on ebay did not work.

It is a developing project so change is always going to happen.

I think what Lucky and Steve are doing is fantastic and it does work.

The reasons for registration are mentioned in one of the topics in the forum.

I had it working with previous versions too but the beauty will be when the palette switching works well on a real pinball.

Steves latest editor 1.0.14 together with Lucky's Pin2DMD version 2.03 are supposed to improve the palette switching , I have not had a chance to test this yet but hopefully it works well.

My thoughts are, spend triple the money or more on an LCD colourDMD or do this  and do three machines for the same price as one colourDMD.

And it all fits in better anyway.

• Content Provider

The SD card problem is hardware related due to a reader in V1 boards which is a bit picky.

This got fixed in the newer V2 hardware with a new reader hardware. Unfortunatelly there

is nothing I can do about it from the software side.

You can buy 5v 10amp switch mode supplies on eBay very cheap or pay more and get from somewhere like RS components or element14 maybe mouser also. They are not that large can be mounted in back box or in machine base. Feed power from machine switch box .

If anyone's interested - I wanted a switched (both in regulation, and operation!) power supply, and since on WPC machines (and -S) no longer use the transformer secondary plug on the display board, I made a power supply. It's sized to mount to the display mounting screws.

abbffa769d5ec91531c6fbdcdb670ab5.png

It's a really really simple board, uses a PC mount switching power supply, and two Molex headers. The input header is keyed so that WPC and WPC-S games can simply plug in their display power from the display driver board. Or, you can make your own and feed it 120V AC. The output has 5 pins - controller board and display get a 5V DC and GND connection, and one extra ground connector to hook up to machine's ground.  It outputs 4a, which is just under twice the highest amperage draw I was able to record form the controller and display (I recorded a max of 2.5A being used).

It's a cleaner install than the metal power supplies, but a lot more expensive. Once I get mine in and connected up, I'll post a picture, and offer two up for sale. (Or, if you want to make your own, I can supply Gerber files.) I'm not making anything off of these, I'm just really OCD when it comes to making things look slick. :)

Here is a video of my STTNG with  pin2Dmd installed.

Firmware version 2.03.

Steves editor version 1.14 used to create palette switching dat file.

I have a problem however in that the system displays a blank screen on machine power on.

The blue led is flashing meaning DMD data is being received but there is no output.

I have to press the STM32 reset button to get the display to start.

Also sometimes it just blanks out in the middle of a game and you have to press the rest switch again to get it to display again.

Hi Lucky,

I updated to 2.04 and created new pin2dmd.dat file.

Now it boots up with the machine power ok.

I played for about 30minutes then left the machine on for another 90 minutes then played a few more games and it has not blacked out at all.

Colour palettes change as expected, it looks nice.

Now all I have to do is play a decent game on Virtual Pinball to get enough frame data to be able to switch palettes at every mode change.

Its a pity we cant simply get the key frame info from the rom files.

I know you mentioned before that the timing info cannot be obtained from the rom file but I did not use any timing info in my palettes.dat file and its fine.

I think its fine to only switch palettes with different mode changes.

Thanks Lucky.

• 4 months later...
Hello,

first thank you Lucky1 for the job!

I have a problem concerning the integration into a real pinball. I test in a "The Champion Pub".

For information everything works on vp when i'm on visual pinball.

I can change the palette by pin2dmd.exe and therefore choose the type of machine.

For the pinball I have the logo that appears with WPC95 when the pinball is on I have the blue LED that works but I have a black screen.

Do you have a solution?

thank you in advance

For information I use the shield V2.0b by UncleSash

Archived