Pin2Dmd Real Pinball Support

lucky1

• Content Provider

Here is a video of pin2dmd connected to my Twilight Zone pinball machine

switching colors in attract mode animation.

Palettes were created using Steves beta version of the Editor.

Duration of the palette should be adjusted but proves the concept of the Editor.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

Fly , it is really hard to help you when the only information you give always is "is not working"

Try to give as much information as possible without us having to ask. What have you done so far.

You signal looks really good. No noise from what I can see. 

• Content Provider

I've looked at the files you posted in dropbox. The palettes.dat is far to small. Size must be around 53 bytes per Palette and around 22 bytes per mapping so an 88 bytes files cannot cover what is in the XML file.

Try to save the dat file again

Well, I tried to use capacitors with resistors and still having the glitching problem. So I even tried a very short ribbon cable, still same issue. I also tried a shielded cable. I am really baffled. I've even tried two different ST boards with two different break out boards, both do the same thing. Are there any others still having this issue? I tried it on both stern and older williams. I tried to capture any glitches with a logic analyzer, but I don't see any problems with the signal.

Well, I tried to use capacitors with resistors and still having the glitching problem. So I even tried a very short ribbon cable, still same issue. I also tried a shielded cable. I am really baffled. I've even tried two different ST boards with two different break out boards, both do the same thing. Are there any others still having this issue? I tried it on both stern and older williams. I tried to capture any glitches with a logic analyzer, but I don't see any problems with the signal.

Make sure all ground are connected and have a good solid clean connection.

Make sure all ground are connected and have a good solid clean connection.

Thanks, I’ve made sure I have solid ground on the whole circuit. I’ve tried about everything I can think of, very short cables, etc. I’ve captured the data from the logic analyzer when the glitch happens, but I don’t see it happening on the input. It’s very strange.

• Content Provider

We are currently discussing different possibilities to get rid of the noise. I had a look at the Stern DMD input circuit and there

on every signal line there is a 220ohms resistor in line with a 47pf capacitor to ground. Next is are two 74hc04 Hex inverter

where every signal gets double inverted, before it goes to the LED driver circuits. A 74hct245 can also be found in some Stern machines

for better signal quality. Another thing you have to make sure is that your power supply delivers clean 5V with enough ampere.

When I started I used a old PC power supply which produced more errors on the display. They went away as soon as I changed it.

I also get errors sometimes, when I have both USB lines connected to the board. They are gone when I remove the ST-Link.

Another Idea just came to my mind. My machine that works is without problems is converted to LED GI.

You have to play a bit with constellations  to find out where it comes from. We all know that pinball electronics can be bitchy

from time to time.

Don´t give up, I´m sure we find a way to make it work.

• Content Provider

Hello, is it possible to use pin2dmd in a Data East (Jurassic Park)?   

Currently we only have tested on WMS and Stern. Depends on the timing of a DataEast. We have a Lethal Weapon to test on but didn´t

have the time to do it. Would be great if you jump in to test.

Regards

Lucky1

Currently we only have tested on WMS and Stern. Depends on the timing of a DataEast. We have a Lethal Weapon to test on but didn´t

have the time to do it. Would be great if you jump in to test.

Regards

Lucky1

Nodyeliab and myself planning to get to dataeast when the glitching is solved so no worries. I have a lah that will get a display soon enough. I don't expect it to be different from whitestar, tbh.

With regards to glitching I found two references on forums about noise on stm32 boards.

http://embdev.net/topic/stm32f0-adc-input-noise-investigations

Slightly different board but sounds similar. https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fpublic%2FSTe2ecommunities%2Fmcu%2FLists%2Fcortex%5Fmx%5Fstm32%2FSTM32F103%20noise%20on%20GPIO%20input%20signal%20causes%20weird%20behaviour&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&currentviews=261

Not sure about the second, but the first sure seems like it may be similar to our issue. Again, a logic analyzer is not showing the glitching off the input header. Must be happening after that.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Content Provider

Again, a logic analyzer is not showing the glitching off the input header. Must be happening after that.

Depends on the sensivity of your logic analyzer. What you say is only true if your logic analyzer triggers high level 

at the same voltage like the STM. Remember the video with the hand at the ribbon cable which clearly proofs that the

noise comes from the outside. The first example you found is from built in Analog - Digital - Conversion, which we don´t use.

Currently I bet on the low trigger levels of the STM because it is 3V logic but only 5V tolerant.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have been reading the posts regarding Pin2Dmd and I think its a fantastic effort on your part.

I am keen to get it working on my Real Pinballs.

I have ordered the parts, got the discovery board downloaded files from git hub installed steves editor version 1.0.11 and watched his video here http://go-dmd.de/2015/11/24/pin2dmd-editor/

I have captured animations via vpmame for STTNG.

I can open the animation in Pin2dmd editor and change various colours.

What I don't seem to be able to do is add keyframes.

Version 1.0.11 is a little different to the version steve shows in his video but I run the animation, stop it at the frame I want to change the pallete at ,I create another pallete and rename it, press Add PalSwitch, and Keyframe1 appears in the Keyframes column , I move the animation to the end frame I want to revert back to the deault pallete, press Fetch Duration and a Duration value appears. However, after that, what should I do, It seems when I run the animation there is no pallete switch , the entire animation just keeps to whatever pallete I have clicked on  in the Palettes Selection drop down box.

Should I do something to save the Keyframe?

Do I need to use the Add FrameSeq button.

I am using Windows 7 32 bit.

This will be great in a Real Pinball.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Hi,

No I did not create the palletes.dat file yet because I have not built the display yet. I am just working on the editor to see what the results should be like.

When I run the animation I don't see the pallet swap happen.

Should I be able to see it happen in the editor?

Hi,

No I did not create the palletes.dat file yet because I have not built the display yet. I am just working on the editor to see what the results should be like.

When I run the animation I don't see the pallet swap happen.

Should I be able to see it happen in the editor?

Send project, I'll do a test on my display

Archived