Pin2Dmd - Table Support

lucky1

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

Sounds like a pinmame crash. You could verify this by enabling the DMD window in the game options and see if that also crashes.

Good thought!

So...I gave it a try.   Color modified rom with both pin2DMD and the PinmameDMD active. 

Pin2dmd is color, other one is standard orange.

Very soon it was clear that the pin2dmd stopped working (freezed) where the pinmame DMD continued to work.  As you can see in the attached picture: the pin2dmd is still on the skill shot where the pinmame DMD says a mode has just been completed.

Paused the game in the F1 menu disabled color, exit the game and restart it.

Both DMD's now monochrome.   This took me very long (>1/2 hour) but then the pin2dmd freezed as well where the pinmame dmd continued working.

Strng thing also is that although color is off sometimes the pin2dmd gives a full different monoochrome color like very much green or purple instread of a kind of yellowish.  Just for a couple of seconds before returning to the standard yellow-ish.  

This last thing is no problem at all but the freezing is not a very handy thing.....

Thanks for your support!

20170523_204633.jpg

• Content Provider

O.K. Please make sure you use a dedicated USB port for pin2dmd which is not shared with other devices. Another user had a similar problem with DOF equipment on the same port. Which USB driver do you use ? WinUSB or LibUSB ? If LibUSB please change to winusb using Zadig.

: question about the driver.

Above you ask me to change to winusb driver.   I did install it according to the instructions on http://pin2dmd.com/installation/   which I think is the libusb-win32 driver so this is a change?

When I run Zadig this is what I see: (see attachment)

When I choose libusb-win32 it says Replace driver so I think I did install this driver before (like instructions).

When I choose WinUSB it says Install this driver so I think this is a new driver replacing the libusb-win32 driver.

So

1) is it correct that I should replace the driver with the Win-USB driver?

2) the version of this driver is v6.1.7600.16385   is this the right one?

USB port is dedicated , directly connected to motherboard.

Thanks for your support

zadig winusb.PNG

zadig libusb-win32.PNG

• Content Provider

LibUSB is only needed for backwards compatibilty to older software and needs libusbk.dll to work with dmddevice.dll.

Winusb is directly supported by dmddevice.dll 

Thanks!

Well....almost sure one problem gone... sure one proble came.

It looks like the original freezing problem with the SpidermanVE color rom has gone.  Not finally sure but I was never able to finish a game without a freezing pin2dmd and now I could (and these are looooong games!)   So far, so good, great news as these color on a pin2dmd look fantastic!

But an other problem came in:

When starting PinballX and browsing through the tables there are images or a video on the (pin2)dmd, defined with the PBXgame manager.  This works fine.

Starting a game andthe game takes over the display: fine.

Normally when I press the Pause key to be able to pause the game and i.e. view the flyer the PinballX pause menu comes up and pin2dmd will display the same image or video like before before starting the game (as defined with the PBXgamemanager)

However: with the new drivers when pressing the pause key the playfield screen will turn black and I hear a 'boing'. 

Normally you can not see what the error is but I found out it's a windows messagebox which says "no pin2dmd".

When I click on OK (normally not possible because display is all black) PinballX will continue showing the pause menu but the display will remain the value it had when pausing the game from gameplay, not switching to the image or video defined within pinballX

When reverting back to the old pin2dmd driver (libusb) everything works as normal.  

I'm sure I'm using the latest XDMD files (2 of them which are in integration dir).

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again for your good and quick support :-) !

• Content Provider

The only thing I can say for sure is that this is related to code which is not written / maintained by me, 

I just use the libusb library to access pin2dmd through the usb port. There seems to be different handling

of libusb and winusb in this library. I will see if I can reproduce this and open a issue on the libusb repo.

Maybe you give libusbK drivers a try.

OK, perfect. Well....I'm glad it is possible to run a colorized pin2dmd without freezing (so far so good).

Do you think it makes sense to raise this issue at the PBX forum? 

On one hand it is the pin2dmd driver but the 'no pin2dmd'  only happens when entering the Pause menu in PBX.

So...do you think it could be programming related to PBX?

• Content Provider

Even though it worked with libusb somehow it is not handled correctly. When you pause a game pinmame does´t free the usb connection and therefore it still should have exclusive control over the pin2dmd device. That is why you are getting this error message. I don´t know why libusb allows to take over without this connection closed. I don´t know wether pinballX pauses pinmame / vp or puts the thread to sleep. In the first case I could have a look at the pinmame pause function In the second case there is no way to free the device. What would be the easiest solution is to suppress the error message.

I have a look at it when I have time to do so.

@lucky1   Wow....great!      Tested the new dmddevice.dll and YES this works well with the pause menu within PBX!

Slightly different behaviour compared to the dll before:

Before when the pause button was pressed the in the PinballX gamemanager defined display video/graphic came up. Now with the new dll the last real running table display is stopped before entering the pause menu.

But...both are perfect, can have a look at the flyer when I want to and no error message, haven't test the freezing of the colorDMD within SpidermanVE but as this was tested before and showed good results with the new win drivers I think this will be OK.

Thank you for your (good & quick) support!

PS: the pause key can be very usefull......if you want to have a look at the flyer..... take a beer...or want to let go the results of having a beer :-)   

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for some input on modifying my virtual dmd for fx2. I see the color option in the list of functions but am not sure of the parameters and how to adjust them. Anyone able to clarify and maybe give examples?
I more or less think that if I mess with the blacks/greys it will look cleaner, I'm using a rather large area to display it. Off hand I think it's 1600 by 400. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Content Provider
4 hours ago, Ruebsy said:

I was looking for some input on modifying my virtual dmd for fx2. I see the color option in the list of functions but am not sure of the parameters and how to adjust them. Anyone able to clarify and maybe give examples?
I more or less think that if I mess with the blacks/greys it will look cleaner, I'm using a rather large area to display it. Off hand I think it's 1600 by 400. Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why post this question here ? This section of the forum is all about pin2dmd hardware and software related to it. 

Please open a new thread !

• 4 months later...
  • Content Provider
8 hours ago, FrankRT said:

Ok. Thank you!

EDIT: I have another problem. Since installing a colour patch for Star Trek LE, I get the message "This machine will not operate in this country". I put the palette in the altcolor folder, how did that cause it?

I think this question belongs here 

• lucky1 unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 11:31 PM, flippnswitchez said:

FACE PALM!!! OK, I figured out color problem lol. Now to figure out the loss of sound on Family Guy and why if delete ACDC and add it back I will have DOF but then loos it again...

Hi there, do you remember what you did to fix the "thermal scope" colors? I have the same problem and no clue what to do...

Any advice?

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
  • Content Provider
On 11/27/2015 at 1:56 AM, lucky1 said:

Here is the file needed to patch the original Stern ROM of Shrek to the colored version

provided by Toon. To create the needed ROM file you can either use pinball browser (.pbm) or

bspatch (http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/)

Use the latest pin2dmd.exe tool to upload the palette .dat file with /b option.

(e.g. pin2dmd.exe /b shrek.dat) and the latest firmware version to use the ROM.

You also need a pinmame version supporting the patched ROM.

shr_141_c.zip 621.05 kB · 305 downloads

Getting the following error when I try to download (same thing with POTC color)

Can someone reupload these?

<Error>

<Code>NoSuchKey</Code>

<Message>The specified key does not exist.</Message>