Pin2Dmd - Table Support

lucky1

• Content Provider
6 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

The palette files in the collection are all 2bit.

Thank you....that saves me alot of testing.... :)

Is it possible to get any systems other than Stern to work with 16 colours?  Has this been done to any non-Stern tables via PinMAME? Or has this only been done with something like ColourDMD ?

Sorry for all the noob questions.... I am still new to custom colours for DMDs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Lucky, I have try patching the Shrek room but when i run the table i get "Machine 'shr_141' (shreck (V1.41)) terminated before initialized, check the rom path or rom file!"  I flash the rom currently several times (the spiderman works just fine) Im using the vpx version of the table. THank you 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:12 AM, lucky1 said:

Please check the filenames 

The zip must be named shr_141.zip and the ROM in it shr141.bin

Thank you! I was having the same problem.  Any tips for naming POTC?  That's the only other one I couldn't get to work.

• Content Provider

Are you using a pin2dmd ? These old ROM patches are only supported by pin2dmd. Not by the dll from Freezy.using a pindmd3 or monitor.
The same with POTC. The patch needed to make it work with pinmame is not supported for those old machines.

• 2 months later...

Lucky1,

can I have your attention on this one please:

when running Star Trek stern, both the pro in VP9 PM5  or the LE in VPX the game starts with nice blue colors on the pin2dmd, defined in the pal files (2 times the same one because they use different roms), pal file attached.

However: as soon as a ball drains within the ball saver time (!)  the display changes colors including this ugly red and it will remain this color for the rest of the table being active.

Only a total exit and restart the table will bring back the defined colors (untill the drain during ball saver time) .

When draining a ball after the ball saver time is expired the color will remain correct.

Any clue about that? 

Thank you!

pin2dmd.pal

Hi everyone.I don't know how to start pin2dmd exe. file with option B enabled so that i can select simple collored files from the altcolor folder.Sorry i am just a little confused with that....when you say start pin2dmd.exe/b do i have to open cmd command line and type some sort of command or is it something else.Sorry for this silly question because i don't see anyone asking it,so it's probably something very obvious?Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I am missing something here. I see pictures of BW games colorized with the pin2dmd but am unable to find the files. Are these shared anywhere? Or are there at least dumps so that we can colorize it ourselves? There are a few games that I would be willing to try colorizing, namely WCS and TAF.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am a little lost on this option b thing..... I have Metallica, Star Trek, Mustang. ACDC the color is working but I lost DOF and Family Guy I lost sound. POTC, Shrek, and Buck hunter the colors are messed up. I have done the patches but I must be over thinking the option B stuff. I have not had the chance to see why I lost DOF in ACDC or sound in Family Guy yet.

On 11/04/2017 at 3:31 PM, lucky1 said:

pin2dmd /b is a command to upload a palette in binary format. 

To make pinmame load the palette from altcolor just activate the colorize option in pinmame.

Do you have to put the pin2dmd /b command anywhere in the game script????? 

I'm lost in general.
I've gathered I had to create a altcolor folder in my VPinmame dir. Do I also create a game name directory or do I rename the .pal file to the game name. That said is it the table or rom name? Any help is appreciated as I'm new to this. Now that I have the windows port I've created the patched rom without issue. I'm also gathering I should rename the rom in the script.

If anyone could share what folders and files I should have and where it would help. I'm currently using Metallica as a test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm lost in general.
I've gathered I had to create a altcolor folder in my VPinmame dir. Do I also create a game name directory or do I rename the .pal file to the game name. That said is it the table or rom name? Any help is appreciated as I'm new to this. Now that I have the windows port I've created the patched rom without issue. I'm also gathering I should rename the rom in the script.

If anyone could share what folders and files I should have and where it would help. I'm currently using Metallica as a test.

Yes change the rom in the script. Add the rom you created to the roms list. In the Altcolor folder you will name the folder exactly as the rom file. Inside that folder you will place the pin2dmd.pal file.

8 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

This should give you a pretty good idea how it is working

I am good there. I am a few hicups with a couple I have patched. AC/DC 168h is in full color but I lost DOF. Family is in Full Color but has lost sound. POTC, Shrek, Big Buck Hunter all the colors are off and look as if I am looking through a thermal scope. Metallica, Strek Trak, Mustang are all working great.  Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong or have wrong?

First off thanks everyone for their help. I really appreciate it!
After grabbing the files from the link lucky1 sent I've have been able to at least see regular roms make use of 4 color with the pal files.
I'm still missing something as when I attempt to use a patched rom I get the terminated before it started error. Any suggestions?
I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed being new to this as I have also been using the beta SAM dll as it was the only way I could run Star Trek LE and have the pf lights work. With all these changes I hope I'm using the right dmddevice dll.
Lastly should I be able to get more color similar to the video on the first page out of use of a monitor? Shrek finally has some color but nothing like that video which is clearly more than 4!
Again thanks anyone for taking the time!

Any suggestion for this?:

Spiderman VE, Alessio 2.2 using rom smanve_101c   : pin2dmd freezes after a while during gameplay but gameplay continues like normal.

Will take a while so only when having a good game.

Can't say exactly when this happens: I had it twice when Tell MJ was stared/running buit also once when a venom thing was on the DMD.

When it freezes: when starting the pin2dmd utility (I do it with alt-tab so the table is still active in the background) communication with the dmd is back: it shows the pin2dmd startup logo showing the firmware version number (2.39).

But, when returning to the table the display won't function : the startup logo will be displayed, no refreshment.

Any thoughts on this or what to do?  (also tried it with the previous 2.1 version (same rom) : same result)

thnx