Pin2Dmd - Table Support

lucky1

• Content Provider

well the palette file can be applied to set the color space but you still need to patch the rom to colorize each frame. Has something changed over the paste month? I know Lucky and djrob were working on some type of auto color feature for the sam roms but I dont think that was implemented yet.

Use bspatch to convert orig rom to color rom.
- Example for Shrek:
bspatch SH0141e.bin SH0141e_c.bin SH0141e_c.diff
- Example for POTC:
bspatch potc0600af.bin potc0600af_c.bin potc0600af_c.diff

Ok so this is confusing for me....

bspatch (This is the exe)  SH0141e.bin (This is the original bin file) SH0141e_c.bin (This is the new bin file that I am creating) SH0141e_c.diff (What is this file? Where does it come from? How do I get it for tables that haven't been colourised yet?)

My plan was to create some ROM's that use 16 shades so that the roms that have not yet been colourised still look ok rather than looking like parts are missing.

16 shades can be catered for already by just selecting a single colour in the pinmame palate for 100% and leaving the others of using latest pinmame. Older pinmame it is catered for by loading a palates within the table code. This is outlined in many threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Jodannar said:

16 shades can be catered for already by just selecting a single colour in the pinmame palate for 100% and leaving the others of using latest pinmame. Older pinmame it is catered for by loading a palates within the table code. This is outlined in many threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying.

As for it being covered in multiple threads, I haven't found it, I have searched but I don't seem to be able to find much when I search on this forum... Not sure what I am doing wrong.

• lucky1 pinned this topic

This is great lucky1! Thanks a lot for updating the first post. The collection of palettes works excellent. I would like to suggest to change the first post slightly to indicate the palette file needs to be placed in the "../vpinmame/altcolor/table name". People might think (like me) that the file needs to be placed in the alt color/table name.

I created all the "../altcolor/table name" structures and placed the corresponding palette file in the table directory. Just unzip in your vpinmame directory and select "Colorize DMD' via the Vpinmame game options of the selected table rom to activate the palette.

altcolor.zip

• Content Provider

Yes. You will want to get the official VPinMAME package. It will have a series of dmddevice.dll files one of which will be the one designed for your pin2dmd board. Copy that to the same folder as where you have your VPinMAME.dll file. 

Now overwrite VPinMAME.dll with the one in the SAMbuild package.

Run Setup.exe and click "Install". 

When you get a message that VPinMAME has installed successfully, go to the default game settings dialog and enable "Use external DMD"

17 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Yes. You will want to get the official VPinMAME package. It will have a series of dmddevice.dll files one of which will be the one designed for your pin2dmd board. Copy that to the same folder as where you have your VPinMAME.dll file. 

Now overwrite VPinMAME.dll with the one in the SAMbuild package.

Run Setup.exe and click "Install". 

When you get a message that VPinMAME has installed successfully, go to the default game settings dialog and enable "Use external DMD"

OK, I did all that you advised but it doesn't work, either running a table via VP or using Test in the VPinMAME Setup. All I end up with is a blank DMD screen and VPinMAME appears to be working correctly.

Have I missed something?

• Content Provider
15 minutes ago, OzStick said:

OK, I did all that you advised but it doesn't work, either running a table via VP or using Test in the VPinMAME Setup. All I end up with is a blank DMD screen and VPinMAME appears to be working correctly.

Have I missed something?

If you use the old libusb-win32 drivers you have to copy the libusbk.dll in your vpinmame directory also ?

• Content Provider
On 27.12.2016 at 1:12 PM, senseless said:

This is great lucky1! Thanks a lot for updating the first post. The collection of palettes works excellent. I would like to suggest to change the first post slightly to indicate the palette file needs to be placed in the "../vpinmame/altcolor/table name". People might think (like me) that the file needs to be placed in the alt color/table name.

I created all the "../altcolor/table name" structures and placed the corresponding palette file in the table directory. Just unzip in your vpinmame directory and select "Colorize DMD' via the Vpinmame game options of the selected table rom to activate the palette.

altcolor.zip

Thanks !! I uploaded your zip to the download section

• Content Provider

In the readme.txt of the dmddevice.dll

If you run your PIN2DMD device in compatibility mode with libusb-win32
drivers installed instead of WinUSB, you also need to copy libusbk.dll 
to your PinMAME folder.

6 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

In the readme.txt of the dmddevice.dll

Ah ok - I got the minimal install so I didn't see a readme file!

So for Stern tables such as AC/DC, Avengers, Corvette etc where I've modded their ROMs with DIFF files and use DAT files called via the table script to get the 16 colour palette, how do I get them to work with this new VPinMAME?

• Content Provider

That is also in the readme.txt

This driver automatically loads color information from pin2dmd.pal files in the 
subfolder named altcolor\"gamename" of PinMAME. 
(e.g. c:\pinmame\altcolor\tz_92\pin2dmd.pal for TwilightZone 9.2 ROM). 

For ACDC, Metallica and Avengers I would recommend to patch the ROM with the latest patch from the download section und update the pin2dmd firmware to 2.36

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

That is also in the readme.txt

For ACDC, Metallica and Avengers I would recommend to patch the ROM with the latest patch from the download section und update the pin2dmd firmware to 2.36

Sorry to be a pain, but I haven't been able to find the README.TXT file you're referencing. Can you please point me to it so I can give it a read?

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm kind of new to this since the support for PinDMD3 was just added, and I was able to patch some roms and get them working, such as Big Buck Hunter, Metallica, AC/DC, and Mustang.  But for some reason I can't get Shrek or POTC to work, the tables won't even start with the error that it can't initialize, check rom path or rom file.  I have the ignore CRC error option enabled, anything else I can check?

Also, is there a patch for Star Trek available somewhere?  I saw a video in the forums but I couldn't find any file download.

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Those tables are only supported by pin2dmd.
They are also missing a critical function Oga is talking about here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/45#post-3432348

ST is not released by Sharkky.

I guess I should have read this thread before posting in the others....

I've got this working great with freezy's updated DLL file....and I'm using it with a virtual DMD. Looks great.

The palette files that you collected and posted are also working great (thanks to senseless).....but I just wanted to know.....are they all 2bit (4 colour) palette files?    or are there some that are more than 4 colours?   (I'm talking non-SAM tables here)