Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

• Content Provider

Mask is working. To see what´s wrong we need a link to the project with all the files (dump etc)

Here are the project files (including .ani).  For this basic mask test, I did NOT do any frame replacement. I tried again with latest build (95)

To test properly, you will need to start game, and flip from Chicago bears down to Chiefs and back again.  This will test the mulitple text possible ('USE FLIPPERS TO PICK YOUR TEAM' and 'SHOOT BALL WHEN DONE'.)  You will notice what appears to be a delay of the switching palettes (this is because the display alternates between the 2 different texts).

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ex9m2d

Hi, so the latest editor version (build 95) has definitely all device modes in configure dialog.

Regarding default palette: what you are saying is: vp recognizes default palette and real pinball mode does not?

Regards Steve

Yes.

• Content Provider

First of all, it doesn´t make any sense to waste the mask for just a sequence where you have a limited number of combinations (2 pictures with 4 players for each team)

possibilities to detect. For testing it is ok anyways. I opened your project (NFLv2.xml and recognized that every keyframe was stored without the mask checked.

You need to press AddPalSwitch when the mask checkbox is checked to trigger on the checksum with mask. Otherwise it uses the checksum without mask.

In short you have to choose two things for the best detection

- the checksum for the best plane (mostly one of 4)

- with or without mask

In the attract mode of STTNG for example it is necessary to use the plane which doesn´t contain the stars, which are created by random and makes

it impossible to trigger on planes which contain stars. Thats why you have a graphical preview of what it triggers on beneath the 4 checksums.

• Content Provider

Hmmm.  Something is not right here.  

Can you do me a favor?  Try the steps you just outlined above - using my NFL.pcap, start a new project.

1) Create a mask

2) Go to a desired frame.

3) Check Mask check box.

4) Create a key frame via AddPalSwitch.

5) Save project

6) Exit editor

7) Restart editor

8) Load project

Do you see mask box checked (from step 3 above)?  I sure don't.  According to what you outlined above, that SHOULD be happening, but is not for me.  Any ideas?

• Content Provider

Hmmm. Something is not right here.

Can you do me a favor? Try the steps you just outlined above - using my NFL.pcap, start a new project.

1) Create a mask

2) Go to a desired frame.

3) Check Mask check box.

4) Create a key frame via AddPalSwitch.

5) Save project

6) Exit editor

7) Restart editor

8) Load project

Do you see mask box checked (from step 3 above)? I sure don't. According to what you outlined above, that SHOULD be happening, but is not for me. Any ideas?

Why do you expect that mask checkbox is checked when you reload the project?

Mask checkbox does control two things: 1 display of mask of course

2 store of checksum with or w/o mask

Nothing else

• Content Provider

... I opened your project (NFLv2.xml and recognized that every keyframe was stored without the mask checked....

Just going by what was posted by Lucky1.

SO, it appears mask is NOT working for my example project (as the mask box is NOT necessarily checked upon reloading).

• Content Provider

You currently can´t see if the mask was checked after the Keyframe has been saved.

Since it is stored in the XML file maybe Steve can add this as a new feature that

it is indicated when you select the keyframe from the list to verify if it was saved with or w/o mask.

Anywaysr all your keyframes have been stored without activated mask and that is what

is the root of the problem you described

• Content Provider

If that is true, then how come when you click mask checkbox (on the project in link) the mask does appear?  

I am following the directions as described: 1) Create mask 2) create keyframe....

Hi Steve, I just downloaded the latest version of the editor (.18), but I cannot get it licensed anymore. It now gives a nice message when I try to do something that requires a license, but when I try Help > Get License, it reports a NullPointerException (seems to be on verifyAndPopulateCaps).

On the same machine, I used .14 with a license installed. Maybe it has troubles reading that data from registry?

Btw, I preferred the possibility to select colors from the Windows color picker first, now I immediately get the advanced dialog (which is too advanced for me ;).

This is the message I am getting:

java.lang.NullPointerException
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.verifyAndPopulateCaps(RegisterLicense.java:176)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.load(RegisterLicense.java:169)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.open(RegisterLicense.java:52)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.lambda$createMenu$144(PinDmdEditor.java:1800)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.open(PinDmdEditor.java:419)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.main(PinDmdEditor.java:297)

On my other machine (same situation, also used to run .14 licensed before) it does work, so problem is not persistent...

• Content Provider

Of course it shows up when you check the checkbox.The mask itself is also stored in the project. I think you believe that you have a individual mask per keyframe.

Currently there is only one mask you can define for the whole project

• Content Provider

Any help on my problem?

Did you publish your project files (xml,dump etc) anywhere ? About the permission, I can only thnk of a windows problem. Could you test with "run as administrator" ?

• Content Provider

I am trying to load a large .pcap file (~12 MBs, ~1.2mb w\gzip)  Getting an error 41 (arrayindexoutofboundsexception: 41).  If this would be an easy fix, would you like me to report issue on github?

edit: this may be a result of a corrupt pcap file.  I am still looking into...

• Content Provider

This is the message I am getting:

java.lang.NullPointerException
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.verifyAndPopulateCaps(RegisterLicense.java:176)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.load(RegisterLicense.java:169)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.open(RegisterLicense.java:52)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.lambda$createMenu$144(PinDmdEditor.java:1800)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.open(PinDmdEditor.java:419)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.main(PinDmdEditor.java:297)

On my other machine (same situation, also used to run .14 licensed before) it does work, so problem is not persistent...

I fixed the NPE, but the error itself seems to raise because of an invalid license file

• Content Provider

You currently can´t see if the mask was checked after the Keyframe has been saved.

Since it is stored in the XML file maybe Steve can add this as a new feature that

it is indicated when you select the keyframe from the list to verify if it was saved with or w/o mask.

Anywaysr all your keyframes have been stored without activated mask and that is what

is the root of the problem you described

Lastest build puts an asterix in front of the checksum if key frame was created with mask active. So if you reselect the key frame, you can always see if it was defined with mask or not.

Cheers Steve

• Content Provider

Lastest build puts an asterix in front of the checksum if key frame was created with mask active. So if you reselect the key frame, you can always see if it was defined with mask or not.

Cheers Steve

Nice!  

Will have to check this out.

I fixed the NPE, but the error itself seems to raise because of an invalid license file

Yep, now it works, and also becomes clear why it didnt before: the license file was on an SD at the time. So it stopped working as soon as the SD was removed. I expected the license to be processed just once (sort of like the display unit does).

Thanks!

• Content Provider

Yep, now it works, and also becomes clear why it didnt before: the license file was on an SD at the time. So it stopped working as soon as the SD was removed. I expected the license to be processed just once (sort of like the display unit does).

Thanks!

Yes, license file needs to be present for export. Location of license file is stored in pin2dmd.properties which itself is in the users home directory. See pin2dmd.com/editor

Just to make sure I am not missing anything. I am using the display in a real Data East machine. Do I need to do any kind of configuring of the project before I export the project in the editor to make sure it is compatible with the DE machine?

Yes, license file needs to be present for export. Location of license file is stored in pin2dmd.properties which itself is in the users home directory. See pin2dmd.com/editor

I am sure I checked that part of your site last week, but either it was not yet this comprehensive, or it just didn't stick at that time. Nice read, very well written!

Just double-checking: do I need vpinmame to create recordings, or is it also possible to do it using the pin2dmd board? 

• Content Provider

Just to make sure I am not missing anything. I am using the display in a real Data East machine. Do I need to do any kind of configuring of the project before I export the project in the editor to make sure it is compatible with the DE machine?

No no project config is needed, but the device needs to know which type of input signal to process.

So you're configuring the device, not the project.

hi, i'm new on this forum and i'm still waiting my hardware arrives and with it my code too,

untill that moment i want to try colorizing a pinball animation to better understand how the editor works.

i will put my display on a real pinball and i don't have a virtual one.

unfortunately i don't either know how virtual pinball works so i can't dump the animation file by myself.

please, is there anybody who can give me some files (or just one) dumped yet and ready to be modified?

thanks everybody...