Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

• Content Provider

Hey Steve,

I downloaded 1.0.15 of the editor and seem to have a problem.

When in Two Plane mode, which is what WPC was before you can only modify 3 colours.

From the attached image you can see my previous colourisation with version 1.0.12 and there are 4 colours.

Green, Yellow, Orange and black, yet the orange cannot be found on the colour selection bar.

Even if you start from loading an animation you cannot change 4 colours any more.

See the second image, now there is no white in the colour selection bar.

Even if you change to four Planes there is still no white in the colour selection bar.

What's happened?

You should definitely be able to edit four colors in 2 plane mode. I will look into this. For wpc this should be color 0,1,7,15 whatever color these index are

• Content Provider

Trying out the new editor and am having trouble getting the Mask to work. In fact, when I try to use the mask and export the .dat file, it seems to be messing up the 'palette' and (not) switching data altogether.

Like other users, I am trying to mask Scoring data (not high score)- so that I can have a stable background during scoring of X-files.

SOOOO, a couple of questions that may help me here:

1) Above you mention saving data to pin2dmd.fsq file. How do you save this .fsq file?

2) Why when I go back and forth between keyframes, does the 'mask' checkbox disappear (for a frame I previously did check as a mask)? This would be very helpful to see it selected AND the masked area on the DMD- upon return to frame. Unless I am doing something wrong (I am doing Mark Start | Mark End then Cut)

3) Another suggestion - perhaps a way to avoid certain frames needing masking- could you have any 'unknown' keyframe return back to DEFAULT palette? Currently it seems if you don't specify a frame and its palette (and its duration)- it remains with the most recent palette....

I DO see that this could be a BAD thing- it would require a duration for all keyframes.

4) Not sure how\if duration works- can you briefly explain this too?

Thanks again for the most recent version of the editor.

I will provide a new video tutorial soon, that explains hopefully most of the concepts.

fsq files are written when exporting the project, but only if your project contains replacement frames / scenes.

fsq files contains all these scenes that are replaced and have higher color depth that original. palettes.dat only contains palettes and list of keyframes and mask. Keyframes then references to palettes and optionally to replacement scene

• Content Provider

Hey Steve,

I downloaded 1.0.15 of the editor and seem to have a problem.

When in Two Plane mode, which is what WPC was before you can only modify 3 colours.

From the attached image you can see my previous colourisation with version 1.0.12 and there are 4 colours.

Green, Yellow, Orange and black, yet the orange cannot be found on the colour selection bar.

Even if you start from loading an animation you cannot change 4 colours any more.

See the second image, now there is no white in the colour selection bar.

Even if you change to four Planes there is still no white in the colour selection bar.

What's happened?

Sorry, stupid bug, fixed in the latested build, white is back again.

• Content Provider

Trying out the new editor and am having trouble getting the Mask to work.  In fact, when I try to use the mask and export the .dat file, it seems to be messing up the 'palette' and (not) switching data altogether.

Like other users, I am trying to mask Scoring data (not high score)- so that I can have a stable background during scoring of X-files.

SOOOO, a couple of questions that may help me here:

1)  Above you mention saving data to pin2dmd.fsq file.  How do you save this .fsq file?

2)  Why when I go back and forth between keyframes, does the 'mask' checkbox disappear (for a frame I previously did check as a mask)?  This would be very helpful to see it selected AND the masked area on the DMD- upon return to frame.  Unless I am doing something wrong (I am doing Mark Start | Mark End then Cut)

3)  Another suggestion - perhaps a way to avoid certain frames needing masking- could you have any 'unknown' keyframe return back to DEFAULT palette?  Currently it seems if you don't specify a frame and its palette (and its duration)- it remains with the most recent palette....

I DO see that this could be a BAD thing- it would require a duration for all keyframes.  

4) Not sure how\if duration works- can you briefly explain this too?

Thanks again for the most recent version of the editor.

I think you are running the latest editor with 1.x firmware. Editor requires the latest version of 2.x firmware.

• Content Provider

Which Version does it show on the display when you boot your device ?

2.06.  Not sure that matters when I run the editor on a separate PC (from the Pin2DMD PC).  I can see the issues within the editor itself.

• Content Provider

I'm having similar issues to :

You should definitely be able to edit four colors in 2 plane mode. I will look into this. For wpc this should be color 0,1,7,15 whatever color these index are

I'm not sure where to find this latest build.  Can you please provide a link?  That way, we can always check for the latest version.

Yes there are when you Download from bintray you will always get the latest build.

Thanks!

• Content Provider

There is a new version of the editor out 1.0.17 latest build is 70 from yesterday:

- couple of bugfixes

- new color picker (non modal)

- preview of color changes in preview window of editor

- live preview on the led panel itself via usb (works with 2.08 if mode is vpin or with

upcoming 2.09 that supports mode switching / live preview even for real pinball modes)

Cheers Steve

• Content Provider

The color picker itself is simply a swt rewrite of the awt one here: http://javagraphics.blogspot.de/2007/04/jcolorchooser-making-alternative.html

or here: https://javagraphics.java.net/doc/com/bric/swing/ColorPicker.html

Especially the preview on the device itself is really useful, as color always look different on screen than on the led panel.

Cheers Steve

• Content Provider

I'm proud to announce that the first editor manual is available on the new pin2dmd website: http://pin2dmd.com/editor/

Its the first version and was partly pulled from old documentation of german goDMD website translated by google, so be patient :-)

Feel free to send in improvements if you like. If I have time I will also complete the written documentation with a couple of

how to video's that actually show how to create a colored scene etc.

Have fun. Steve 

• Content Provider

Looks good Steve.  I think I finally figured out color\frame replacement.

However, when I execute it live, it does not seem to trigger my 'animation'.  I am testing by placing pin2dmd.dat and pin2dmd.fsq on micro-sd (the initial palette looks fine).  I am sending you a sample project - to see if I am doing something wrong...

I read the entire thread and I thought at some point it was said that you would be able to do 16 colors for WPC and DE games. It seems from the posts above it is still limited to 4 colors. Is this still the case or didn't misunderstand?

Thanks.

• Content Provider

You use Mark Start - Mark End - Cut Scene , edit the scene with 16 colors and set a keyframe as the point to start playback of this scene.

You can see it here at the end of the video (Dr.Who Logo)

• Content Provider

You use Mark Start - Mark End - Cut Scene , edit the scene with 16 colors and set a keyframe as the point to start playback of this scene.

You can see it here at the end of the video (Dr.Who Logo)

So, for non-Stern, is coloring frame by frame only usable on 'real' pinball machines at this point?  In other words, not usable on VP cabs?