Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

• Content Provider
6 hours ago, tiim said:

IDK if this is just me, I can't download either Windows versions of the PIN2DMD editor from the Google Drive link.

What happens is I right-click and select download, the anti-virus scan popup ppears, them moments later Google says the file cannot be scanned, so I click 'download anyway', then nothing happens. I checked my oen google drive folder as well as my Windows Download folder. No files.

Would love to get started trying to colorize a DMD. Looks like someone has recently claimed WhoDunnit, it's the only DMD machine I own! Good luck and hopefully you make good progress. Fun machine.

Thanks,

Tim

Either download the complete folder or mark two files and download as zip.

7 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Either download the complete folder or mark two files and download as zip.

Dear Lucky1,

I had to sign out of Google on my PC in order to download the files. I could only download the entire folder. That was strange, but  it worked.

All is good now.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on Pinside.com but with no response so far

I'm trying to make sense of the various colorization options for a DMD, and there seems to be vastly different approach between Pin2DMD Editor and PB

From what I understand:

- Using Pinball Browser: PB dumps all DMD frames from the rom file, you can colorize them individually, this will generate a smartdmd.txt file which you can then use to create a pin2dmd.pal file that you put on an SD card in Pin2DMD, BUT you need to reflash your ROM. It also does not work for older machines (prior to SAM).
- Using Pin2DMD Editor: you can only edit DMD frames which you have previously manually dumped (simulated gameplay using a vpin, or equivalent), in the end you get a project file which you can use to generate a pin2dmd.pal and a pin2dmd.fsq file. Using this solution there is no need to reflash the ROM, and it works on older machines - but from what I understand it does not work for Stern Sam

So first, is my understanding correct ?

If so, one could wonder why PB does not allow to export all DMD frames to use them as the basis for pin2dmd editor  as Pin2DMD method seems more flexible to me. Granted PB has this "side channel" option, but it requires an additional cable, but since it only works with SAM from what I understand

Anyway, I just wanted to check if my assumptions are correct

Thanks

• Content Provider
11 hours ago, Ashram56 said:

- Using Pinball Browser: PB dumps all DMD frames from the rom file, you can colorize them individually, this will generate a smartdmd.txt file which you can then use to create a pin2dmd.pal file that you put on an SD card in Pin2DMD, BUT you need to reflash your ROM. It also does not work for older machines (prior to SAM).
- Using Pin2DMD Editor: you can only edit DMD frames which you have previously manually dumped (simulated gameplay using a vpin, or equivalent), in the end you get a project file which you can use to generate a pin2dmd.pal and a pin2dmd.fsq file. Using this solution there is no need to reflash the ROM, and it works on older machines - but from what I understand it does not work for Stern Sam

Replacement scenes work for Stern SAM in the pin2dmd editor. Only the dynamic scenes  don´t fully work .

11 hours ago, Ashram56 said:

If so, one could wonder why PB does not allow to export all DMD frames to use them as the basis for pin2dmd editor  as Pin2DMD method seems more flexible to me. Granted PB has this "side channel" option, but it requires an additional cable, but since it only works with SAM from what I understand

You have to ask oga about that.

18 hours ago, Ashram56 said:

I posted this on Pinside.com but with no response so far

Pinball Browser does not make any dumps,   you simply open the rom  inside Pinball Broswer  and "browse"   and modify  (aka color) through each individual frame.

smartdmd.txt are not generated.   you need to create one  -->   add individual pallets for each scene  you color.

Yes!!!!!   Pinball Browser will modify the rom so  you would need to updated your machine with the new modified from.

Pinball Browser only supports  SAM and later tables.

If you want to color an older machine   use   the PIN2DMD editor ONLY!!!!!

the only reason to use Pinball Borswer is because    "Color  Masks"    from the Pin2DMD editor   don't work on SAM  projects.

18 hours ago, Ashram56 said:

Pinball Browser only shows partial frames,       when you play the game their could be 3 or 4 individual frames that are combined to make a single frame

a scene like this that has this frame as a background and other frames (all the text)   is missing

if you assign a  pallet to the frame   you will get this error because its a partial frame.

the only way you are going to get a full frame is by playing the game and generating each possible combination  of frames.

Capture.PNG

• 1 month later...

Thanks again to @lucky1 for the reply earlier today in regards to capturing DMD data. 

I've been playing around in the editor today while following one of NetzZwerg's tutorials.  I have captured some DMD data for Stargate, and started to select scenes.  When I experienced trouble changing colors on the palette (Error box kept on popping up), I tried closing the project and then re-launching the pin2dmd editor.  When I tried loading the project I had been working on with the recording and several scenes selected I received an error saying that it couldn't load the project (java.lang.RuntimeException: error onLoadProject).

In troubleshooting the problem, I tried the following:

• Created a new blank project, attached my recording file (raw.gz file this time), saved the project, exited / relaunched the app and received the same error I described above (pictured attached) when loading the project
  • Created a new blank project, attached my recording file (txt.gz file this time), saved the project, exited / relaunched the app and received the same error I described above when loading the project
  • Created a new blank project, saved the project, exited / relaunched the app and received no error (no recordings attached)
  • Off topic slightly, but when I go to Help > Send Report , I get a java.lang.NullPointerException as well

System:

Windows 10 20H2 (19042.685)

Pin2DMD-Editor64.exe - v2.5.0.6

Java 8 x64 Update 271 

I've attached the capture file that I was working with too.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time!

Screenshot 2021-01-04 211341.png

initial-cap.txt.gz

• Content Provider

Could not reproduce the problem. You should also have a raw dump file which is better for gottlieb. Could you please attach that too ? Do you store the recording in the same folder as project ?

15 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Could not reproduce the problem. You should also have a raw dump file which is better for gottlieb. Could you please attach that too ? Do you store the recording in the same folder as project ?

That might be the issue - I have the recording stored in a sub folder.  I'll move it to the root of the project and re-try.  Thanks again!

Also, I've attached the raw dump file to this post.

initial-cap.raw.gz

@lucky1 - It looks like the project loading error was indeed due to me having the recordings in a subfolder, so that issue is resolved. 

I'm still getting null pointer exceptions whenever I try to change the colors of a palette, even on default screen without any project loaded.  I'm not sure if it helps, but I've attached the most recent error message.

Is there a specific version of Java I should be running with this version of the editor? 

Also, not sure if it's relevant either but I do have a 4k monitor on the computer that I'm running the app on.  

** Edit - I just tried a version of the Pin2DMD editor from a few years ago, and it does the same thing on the palette picker.  I'm going to guess the issue is with the version of Java, an environment variable, or some other random issue with Windows 10 on my workstation.  I'm going to try running the Java 8u271 x64 installer and Pin2DMD editor app on my Wife's laptop, which has a brand new / clean install of Windows 10 20H2 and see what happens.

null pointer.txt pin2dmd-editor6895128528892570544.log

It appears that a number of the unhandled exceptions I was experiencing have been resolved with the 3.0.0.0 editor update.  I've found that a few others persist, but I believe it's (at least in part) due to Windows 10 font scaling.  Do we know if Windows 10 scaling support is on the roadmap for a future update?  My home workstation has a 4k monitor, and adjusting it back down to 100% vs 150% is tough to look at. 

Update - The scaling problems in the Pin2DMD editor looks to be a java bug.  I worked around it by performing the following steps:

• Going to the java install folder
  • Right clicking the javaw.exe file
  • Clicking the "Compatibility" tab
  • Click "Change High DPI settings"
  • In the bottom of the window, check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" box
  • Select "System"
  • Ok > Apply
  • When you launch the Pin2DMD Editor, the scaling is now correct

Install location for Java:

x32
C:\Program Files\Java\<version>\bin

x64
C:\Program Files\Java\<version>\bin

Example
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_271\bin

image.thumb.png.8bec913690dd999f2b49602606a79bc2.png

image.png.18f7580603ea640abbcad2189e5bfcf8.png

4K Scaling issue resolvedimage.thumb.png.b93f0673f2d12048cb13428c82d4d4d1.png

• 1 month later...

Hmm mal eine Frage - bei mir taucht immer der Fehler beim Export auf real Pin auf - mein Ziel wäre es eigentlich gewesen an dem MSF weiter zu arbeiten - aber der Export streikt 

Das sind meine ersten Versuche am Editor - vielleicht habt ihr ne Idee ?

danke schon mal

Editor.jpg

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, highway85 said:

Hmm mal eine Frage - bei mir taucht immer der Fehler beim Export auf real Pin auf - mein Ziel wäre es eigentlich gewesen an dem MSF weiter zu arbeiten - aber der Export streikt 

Das sind meine ersten Versuche am Editor - vielleicht habt ihr ne Idee ?

danke schon mal

Editor.jpg

This forum is in english, so I answer in english. Do you use a license from a XL pin2dmd ? If you have a license from a 128x32 pin2dmd use that license, if not send me a PM with your XL license number.

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

Hello @lucky1,

(I don't know wether I should post in this thread or the firmware one.. )

I'm trying to use pin2dmd last build (2.5.0.6 from 29/03/201) to convert my LAH colorization and try the 64 colors!

I changed the configuration of pin2dmd64 in order to select 64 colors and i do get the question to convert to 64 colors at the start

image.png.cb116ffa240c672d5f52afcd2fec9bfa.png

image.png.fab4076059276dc06d198f1d83aae988.png

But once, it is loaded, I can only choose between the 1st row, i.e. 16 colors :

image.thumb.png.e4289d764e872a124ef3ae9a9e591d42.png

I tried the existnig scenes and creating new ones, the result is the same.

In addition, I receive an error message when I try to create a new palette : 

image.png.269cd17c7803a76d338c70cd311c3a5d.png

When I choose proceed, it goes on and the palette is created, but it's a bit weird...

When I try to create a new project, I can see the 64 colors :

image.thumb.png.960e961993764afae242b530d729c31f.png

Could you help me with that ? I'm sending you the link to my lah project files in pm if needed.

Thnaks,

• Content Provider

It won't change. I tried different numbers, within my project or from a blanck one, and the value won't save. It says to restart the editor, and each time I restart the editor, it shows 6.

[EDIT] I was typing in a number rather than using the up/down arrows.. using the up/down arrows, the value is saved ! 

But it still won't show the 16 colors choice, whatever the value I choose in number of planes

I also tried importing/converting projects sources I had from malenko, and the result is the same. 

• Content Provider

You need to choose convert to convert the project to 64 colors. If you choose continue it will load as a 16 color project. Just tested your project and converted without a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with the 64 color editor, version 2.5.0.6, where it won't open. I get the initial splash screen but then the program doesn't launch or show up in my task manager. It was working fine until a few nights ago when I was adding a keyframe and it locked up and crashed with no error message. Since then I can not open it. I have tried deleting and re-downloading the exe and re-installing java. An older 16 color version of the editor runs fine. Has anyone had an issue like this? Could there be a corrupt configuration file or registery entry that I need to clean up? Are there any log files that the editor generates that might point to what the error is?

• Content Provider

As mentioned in a previous message, I think it would have been interesting to keep having a "compatibility" mode with virtualDMD from freezy, even deprecated.

When we update our 16 colors project to 64 colors, the additonal colors are displayed in 3 new lines below the original 16 color palette, but even without any modification in our colorization, when exporting for VPIN the format is now different and the colors are mixed on virtualDMD.

If I understood well, this is how the 64 colors are mapped/shown on wirtualDMD

compatibility.png.b869244055779c78a07b76b90ebd25a8.png

the 1st group is made from the first color / first group, second color / second group, third color / third group and forth color / forth group of the 1st line

the 2nd group is made from the first color / first group, second color / second group, third color / third group and forth color / forth group of the 2nd line

the 3rd group is made from the first color / first group, second color / second group, third color / third group and forth color / forth group of the 3rd line

the 4th group is made from the first color / first group, second color / second group, third color / third group and forth color / forth group of the 4th line

By having an export tool for VPIN that would keep using only the first line as before, we could easily keep compatibility with virtualDMD.

And have all 48 additionnal colors on the 3lines below to improve our project to 64 colors for PIN2DMD users.

Good 16 colors on LCD, best 64 colors on PIN2DMD !

It may be a question of time for dmdext guys to implement 64 colors, but if they're not considering the move and keep working on other topics, it's a bit frustating as an artist to work on colorization, and not to be able to publish for VirtualDMD users, even deprecated.

I tought it was worth sharing the idea

• Content Provider

All 16 color projects I know of used only either simple Colormask or simple replace mode. If you keep it that way and export your project you are still compatible to freezy. As long as you don´t upgrade your project to 64 colors and don´t use any of the new colorization modes they should still work with old firmware versions or freezy. I have zero motivation to implement some kind of crippled 16 color export into pin2dmd editor just to make other modes work with freezy.

Sorry , that´s a waste of my time and frustrating for me. If you want to implement it yourself, feel free. The source of the editor is here https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

FYI,

I've figured out that I had to "Run as an administrator..." PIN2DMD Editor to export files for VPIN, otherwise the files were not loading correclty when launching the table (error message saying to check firmware version).

Don't know why, but, all in all, my files are now working.

Pin2dmd-editor64bits with Win10. 

• 4 weeks later...

The following are feature requests I dream of.  Or perhaps they are available and I just don't know how to use them.

1)  Ability to hold down the control key and select multiple scenes for adding a common palette to multiple scenes or any other time you are performing a common action to multiple scenes.

2)  Left and Right arrow keyboard keys dedicated to moving the edit screen forward or backward in frames no matter what you last clicked on.  So you can use the mouse freely while advancing frames you are editing.

3)  Folders in the scenes list so you can arrange multiple scenes that go to a common video.  This would make the screen list more manageable.

The editor is an amazing tool.  I just performed my first dmd dump this morning and it went perfect.  I needed three scenes I didn't have.  I guess playing Batman Forever one thousand times in four days has helped my skills.  I got all three scenes in a three minute dump.  

A useful trick I learned during the dump is the value of having the internal dmd showing below the freezy while playing VPX on desktop.  I can now monitor if I'm triggering the wrong scenes and replacing the actual game scenes incorrectly.  Example, always showing "ball 1 locked" even when "ball 2 locked" should be displayed.  A great way to monitor if your triggering correctly.

Just a wish list.

Lane

Edited by bushav