Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

1 hour ago, lucky1 said:

Simple answer is that it always looks for keyframes. A keyframe always has to be unique.

I think your missing the question. If I key an animation with the first frame being 250ms long. The Pin2dmd will be receiving that same frame signal for 250ms but also play the first frame for 250ms. If the device continually Keyes up that animation over and over for the 250ms it receives that signal, it will effectively play that frame for 500ms. In this instance we should always shorten the first frame of any animation to a small time, then it will play the correct amount of time plus only that small amount(not double). This is probably not that noticeable in most situations but it becomes definitely noticeable when the first frame of an animation is over 200ms.

• Content Provider

Keyframes only trigger when there is a change in the image. There is no retriggering during the same image beeing displayed.
You can see whether there is a change or not when looking at the blue led of the controller.

On 9/5/2018 at 4:04 AM, Rockdude233 said:

It happens during one of the boot up frames.  Unfortunately, I'm out of town and won't be back until September 17, so I'll have to get you the exact details then.  I can tell you if I add another scene/keyframe to the project, it will then blank out at a different frame, but it will always be the same frame for that version.

The last frame of the "Intro Waves" scene is when it blanks out.

image.png.631b381e06b0c1b9122788800c692c94.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i would like to recover the pallets from the  " acd_170hc_ByPinballMikeD"  package .

i have put the patched rom in my real pin and  the pin2dmd.pal in the sd card . it s work good but i would like to change some color  with pinballbrowser ( i have a licence)

i have asked the smartdmd.txt to pinballmikeD , i hope , he will answer me .

regards

guillaume

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider
On 1/6/2019 at 4:05 PM, Rockdude233 said:

Curious as to what the red and green eye droppers in the palette tool area do and how they are used?  Anyone use these?

It is for color reduction of true color RGB imports. Shows you the palette used by the picture .

• 2 weeks later...

If I have two frames and masks as follows, is there a way to guarantee which mask wins? I have tried experimenting with masks at high and low indexes, but my results are very inconsistent, it might just be that I have been testing with some unreliable frames in that transition, but are there any rules around to help me?

image.png.80f058b37ed80cbfc2b5c2c98bf69b4e.pngimage.png.8899e3afda7f612fb54ae661891edd14.png

EDIT: For clarity, the issue is the BALL text results in a conflict - I want the right hand mask to win, but up to now I have found it to be intermittent - is there any way I can be sure the right mask scene fires instead of the score colour mask? I have also experimented with both replace and colour mask sequences but to no avail

On 8/1/2018 at 5:12 PM, DJRobX said:

It will go with whatever matches first.    I believe it starts by searching whole frames, then goes through the masks.   However it searches plane by plane, so mask 10, plane 1 will hit before mask 1, plane 2.   So  *probably* the lowest numbered mask will win.   I would not try to rely on the searching behavior to prioritize keyframe hits (but I can think of a few cases where that might be useful :) )

It doesn't matter if multiple things point to the same animation frame as long as it's intentional.   I do it intentionally in WCS often when the ROM has inconsistent transitions. to the "GOAL" animation for example.   There are a few different combinations of things that start the same color mask sequence that is appropriate for all of them.

Never mind, I just came across this previous helpful reply from DJRobX - I suspect my planes are to blame...

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to open a project saved with editor version 2.3.0.3 in editor version 2.3.0.5. For a vast number (but not all) of the coloured scenes, the type has been reversed - scenes I had set to Replace are now Color Mask, and vice versa. However, the keyframe list still shows them with the correct icon. Ignoring the problem of opening files with different editor versions, this raises a question I have often wondered - if I create a keyframe using a colored scene of one type (eg. replace), then after the keyframe is created change the source scene type to something else (eg. color mask), do I need to recreate the keyframe, or will it use the new setting on the source scene automatically?

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have discovered it through using the editor. I have noticed from some test videos that thebarto has provided for me that the default palette I have created/set in my project is not being applied on his real pin. Does the default palette setting get exported/applied for real pin projects, or is there an easy way to make sure this is applied? It actually looks like it's showing the default DEFAULT palette shown when I first switch my PIN2DMD on or create a new editor project (I recognise the red and dark green), but for sure the default palette is applying correctly on the vpin project. Any ideas?

thebarto provided a shot of his PIN2DMD settings, and sure enough, the colours are coming from the custom palette - does this always override the default palette/is there anyway I can set this without real pin users setting it manually?

image.png.7bf4d506454a8048b07cc147e9bb366f.png

For the record my own settings I use for VPIN are shown below, and the palette in the project  .

image.png.5cc8b8f69da7032bd86df3224491edd5.png image.png.5422f499f3388efad6809ff1398c584d.png

• Content Provider

The pin2dmd.exe tool is only to create single palette files (one palette for the whole game).
It is not meant to open multi palette files like created by the editor. 

The colors shown on your screenshot look like the colors from the VGA palette
If you export a pal file in the editor on copy it to the SD these palette settings are read from SD during boot
and will be used. This will only work on devices with proper activation.

So is this something thebarto is doing wrong with respect to how he is putting the files on his real pin PIN2DMD and/or applying a custom palette when he shouldn't?

I am sorry to sound naive but I just want to be sure that I am not doing something wrong with my project(s) that means people on real pins are not getting the same experience I am expecting them to, and I don't have the luxury of a real pin to play around with :) I will go ahead on the assumption that the palette I set as DEFAULT in the editor is what will be used as the default in game. Arguably I probably shouldn't rely on the default palette to colour scenes but I do :)

• 3 weeks later...

@lucky1   There is an animation I can see in pinball browser about 100 frames in length but it does not appear to be used in the game.  I think it would really look slick inserted into the attract mode of the game. 

1. How can this be done correctly? 

2. I know I could draw the animation out and replace a current animation (local tournaments scene for example) with a keyframe but would the length of the animations or the timing be messed up if I did this?  I believe the "local tournaments" scene is just one frame in length?

3. If I can do this is there a way I could copy the animation in pinball browser and paste it into the editor?  So I wouldn't have to redraw it by hand?

• 4 months later...
  • Content Provider

I would love to have the option to select a mask and see which scenes are currently using it. This would be a huge help, because we would be able to change some masks later to make them fit for more scenes to trigger. Do you think this could be possible @lucky1

5 hours ago, NetzZWerg said:

I would love to have the option to select a mask and see which scenes are currently using it. This would be a huge help, because we would be able to change some masks later to make them fit for more scenes to trigger. Do you think this could be possible @lucky1

I am always worried about the prospect of having to replace a mask and not knowing which scenes will be affected, so I always prefix my trigger names with a capital M and the mask number it used. It's a real pain to actually do this to be honest (time consuming clicks!), but it does give me a quick glance understanding of which masks would require the most work, in the event of having to recreate or drop one.

However, I think you can extrapolate the information you want from the project xml, for example:

<palMapping>
      <palIndex>66</palIndex>
      <durationInMillis>0</durationInMillis>
      <durationInFrames>0</durationInFrames>
      <hashIndex>0</hashIndex>
      <name>M1_brontocrane_border</name>
      <animatisonIndex>0</animatisonIndex>
      <animationName>gameplay1</animationName>
      <frameIndex>943</frameIndex>
      <frameSeqName>brontocrane_lit</frameSeqName>
      <crc32>AaFKlw==</crc32>
      <switchMode>ADD</switchMode>
      <withMask>true</withMask>
      <maskNumber>1</maskNumber>
    </palMapping>

For sure this trigger was using mask 1 (I can tell from the name!) and the final node in the palMapping is the correct mask number...

EDIT: Not saying this solves your problem, and I would agree a built in option in the editor to do this would be great (and save me lots of time consuming renaming), but in the interim, this might help if you are trying to track down one use of a mask...

EDIT 2: In fact, lucky already raised an issue for this very request :) https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues/133