Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

so trying out the section tool there are a few things. it is very difficult to use if something goes up to the edge. nearly impossible actually. i also see no way to copy only what was selected, maybe i am missing it.

• Content Provider

Issue with delays is fixed. Try the latest builds from bintray.

I also wanna mention that there is a new auto save feature, that saves the actual project at a given interval. Just to protect from data loss in case of a total crash. It can be activated in the configuration.

• Content Provider
6 minutes ago, Syco54645 said:

so trying out the section tool there are a few things. it is very difficult to use if something goes up to the edge. nearly impossible actually. i also see no way to copy only what was selected, maybe i am missing it.

Don't want to offend you, but sometimes I got the impression you are missing some patience ... You can simply move the selection to the border or adjust the selection by moving the edges. Just playing around for a while and try things out ...

11 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Don't want to offend you, but sometimes I got the impression you are missing some patience ... You can simply move the selection to the border or adjust the selection by moving the edges. Just playing around for a while and try things out ...

No offence taken but I just spent 20 minutes trying various things, including moving to the edge. It always ends up 1px away, even when moved past the edge it ends up 1px away and the box smaller. There were times where I also was only able to draw 1px wide by what ever height I wanted.  a restart fixed that. If you try to draw to the edge you are off the image and it does not register the mouse up. Also as I said it appears to be copying the entire frame and not just what is selected, unless there is a special key press or menu option that I am missing.

Restarted the software again and now it works. It seems if you try to draw too many selections then something gets messed up as after a while you cannot even draw any more selections (or they are 1 px wide for some reason). 

• Content Provider

1 minute ago, Thalamus said:

Talk about beta software ;-) How many release just today ? Very nice !

yes, the idea is to push the community to create some nice projects. the better the tool works the better the expected results :-)

35 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Again some improvements on drawing and selecting. Should be easy now to select and draw close to the edge :-)

Steve this works perfect now. Selecting is a breeze and I have not had it mess up and require a restart yet.

Also I recorded a video of the magenta bug and how to "fix" it as a user. Figured it would be easier than me trying to explain it because in general I am bad at explaining things.

In order to reproduce open the editor, open the project, go to the scene, enable live preview and the colors are off. switch pallets then switch back and they are good. Anyway here is the video. Does not need fixed perse but should help explain where I was coming from earlier.

• Content Provider
49 minutes ago, Syco54645 said:

Steve this works perfect now. Selecting is a breeze and I have not had it mess up and require a restart yet.

Also I recorded a video of the magenta bug and how to "fix" it as a user. Figured it would be easier than me trying to explain it because in general I am bad at explaining things.

In order to reproduce open the editor, open the project, go to the scene, enable live preview and the colors are off. switch pallets then switch back and they are good. Anyway here is the video. Does not need fixed perse but should help explain where I was coming from earlier.

ok I see. Maybe the implicit palette changes when selecting a scene doesn't get uploaded to the device. Only explicit palette switches you do afterwards. I will look into it.

Was watching a movie with my wife but now back to testing :).

Created a new project and Scene and added a ColorScene Switch. Hit the Start button and checked the individual Frames and Delay values. They are still there and the behavoir of the Delays has been fixed! Great.

Next was to try and do an export. I choose to do the Export Project(virt pin) as I have a virtual pincab. I placed the two output files in the vpinmame/altcolor/t2_l8 directory and renamed them to pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.vni and ran the vpinmame Test function to test the rom with the alternative color files.

Observations:
- Export to existing file does not work (does seem to export but existing files are not updated), Export to a new file does.
- VPINMAME stops working the moment the keyframe of the created scene is triggered

Some interface observations (probably do not interfere with functionality of the editor):
- Switching between different scenes in the listbox of Scenes does not alter/update the Scene droplist in the KeyFrame tab (e.g. when I select "scene 1" from the Scences the Scene and Duration fields in the KeyFrame tab do not update and display "scene 1"). Switching between KeyFrame does.
- When switching between Recordings/Scenes/KeyFrames you would expect only one active selection (marked blue) is shown. E.g. when you select first a KeyFrame from the list and then a Scene from the Scenes list the KeyFrame still remains highlighted. I would expect only 1 active selection being displayed.

Will try and see if I can get a working test on the PIN2DMD with export files tomorrow.

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, Syco54645 said:

So the problem was, you switched on live preview after selecting the scene. so the scene palette wasn't switched in the first place. You repaired it by manually switching palettes.

It is fixed now. everytime you switch on live preview the device gets switched to the actual palette, so this should work now.

Just now, steve45 said:

So the problem was, you switched on live preview after selecting the scene. so the scene palette wasn't switched in the first place. You repaired it by manually switching palettes.

It is fixed now. everytime you switch on live preview the device gets switched to the actual palette, so this should work now.

I see. Glad that it was not me going insane. That explains why sometimes it would happen and other times it would not. I was not in a testing mindset when it first was happening to me.

• Content Provider
1 minute ago, Syco54645 said:

Real pinball dmds stop working the moment the keyframe of the created scene is triggered as well.

no sure what the status of the pin2dmd.dll actually is. we changed the export format a bit. Have to asked Lucky. Same for pin2dmd firmware on the device. especially for color seq. mode you definitely need the latest firmware (maybe not yet finished)

On 5/1/2017 at 10:07 PM, senseless said:

I've been trying to get the new version to work but no luck....

I tried both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version (2.0.1.0) on different Win10 machines but issue remains the same. Latest Java is installed (version 8, update 131)..

When I create a  new scene from a recording and change some coloring the moment I press the start button all the frames get the same delay value. I have no clue why this happens and don't think this should happen. I included a screen shot of the scenes before pressing the Start button to play the animation.5907a2caa4be2_delayperframe.thumb.png.8ae2405a42c674cf3085bed620cdbe0f.png

When I export I also am not sure which option I need to use to export the project. I'm using this on a vpin with a pin2dmd.

The Export Project (real pin) gives me two files: *.pal and a *.fsq

The Export Project (virt pin) gives me two files: *.pal and a *.vni

When testing both lock up the dmd when the altered scene need to be displayed. Visual Pinball also stops working. I expect this has to do with the issue of the same delay values frames are assigned but am not sure.

Would love to work on coloring roms but this is giving me quite some problems.... Hope someone can help me.

Hiya Senseless :)

Note you are using win10 - did you do anything specific to get the window looking complete at all under Win10? Steve has tried best he can, however my editing window opens too small for the text contained, meaning that i have to then resize it, but then it screws up the content text... 

Many thanks!

Capture.PNG

42 minutes ago, toibs said:

Hiya Senseless :)

Note you are using win10 - did you do anything specific to get the window looking complete at all under Win10? Steve has tried best he can, however my editing window opens too small for the text contained, meaning that i have to then resize it, but then it screws up the content text... 

Many thanks!

Mine works fine on my windows 10 (gaming) rig but on linux it is messed up like yours. are your lists in the top left populating? that is probably the worst part.

• Content Provider
7 hours ago, senseless said:

Was watching a movie with my wife but now back to testing :).

Created a new project and Scene and added a ColorScene Switch. Hit the Start button and checked the individual Frames and Delay values. They are still there and the behavoir of the Delays has been fixed! Great.

Next was to try and do an export. I choose to do the Export Project(virt pin) as I have a virtual pincab. I placed the two output files in the vpinmame/altcolor/t2_l8 directory and renamed them to pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.vni and ran the vpinmame Test function to test the rom with the alternative color files.

Observations:
- Export to existing file does not work (does seem to export but existing files are not updated), Export to a new file does.
- VPINMAME stops working the moment the keyframe of the created scene is triggered

Some interface observations (probably do not interfere with functionality of the editor):
- Switching between different scenes in the listbox of Scenes does not alter/update the Scene droplist in the KeyFrame tab (e.g. when I select "scene 1" from the Scences the Scene and Duration fields in the KeyFrame tab do not update and display "scene 1"). Switching between KeyFrame does.
- When switching between Recordings/Scenes/KeyFrames you would expect only one active selection (marked blue) is shown. E.g. when you select first a KeyFrame from the list and then a Scene from the Scenes list the KeyFrame still remains highlighted. I would expect only 1 active selection being displayed.

Will try and see if I can get a working test on the PIN2DMD with export files tomorrow.

Use the real pinball export format instead and put the files into altcolour. There is some work to be done on the firmware side.

3 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Use the real pinball export format instead and put the files into altcolour. There is some work to be done on the firmware side.

Export Project(real pin) and test via VPINMAME:

- Works when you only create palette switches. The export creates a *.pal file and when placed in the vpinmame/altcolor/t2_l8 directory and renamed them to pin2dmd.pal it switched palletes as defined.
- Does not work when you add a Scene. The export creates an additional file (*. fsq) but during run via VPINMAME it discards the created palette switches and the created scene.
- Same happens when I only create a single scene and no palette switches. It discards the created scene.

Additional observation: during the first try to do the export with a created scene I got an error screen. I needed to restart the editor and redo the export. This time it worked. Could not replicate. The details in the error screen indicated issues with creating the animation file.

Some additional interface observations:

- Color selection windows is not always 'on top' and therefor not visible when pressing Cntr-Click and hides behind other open windows.
- When saving under a different name the new name is not updated in the title bar and keeps on displaying the old name.