Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

Hi Guys,

Has been a while since i have used pin2dmd editor, so please excuse me as i have forgotten.... :D

Under "Register" it asks for licence file - is this the same as the licence for the modules (and if so, any way i can get mine re-sent again?), or is a different registration ?

Also, the default window for Pin2Dmd opens fairly small - i have to open it larger, and it doesnt really re-size... What i get is attached.. any suggestions on how i can fix it?

Many thanks again (and apologies!)

Paul

Capture.PNG

Edited by toibs
Adding window size problem...

• Content Provider
24 minutes ago, toibs said:

Hi Guys,

Has been a while since i have used pin2dmd editor, so please excuse me as i have forgotten.... :D

Under "Register" it asks for licence file - is this the same as the licence for the modules (and if so, any way i can get mine re-sent again?), or is a different registration ?

Also, the default window for Pin2Dmd opens fairly small - i have to open it larger, and it doesnt really re-size... What i get is attached.. any suggestions on how i can fix it?

Many thanks again (and apologies!)

Paul

Capture.PNG

The license file is the same, it is maybe still on your sd card of the device.

Regarding the screenshot: which operating system are you using? Linux / Ubuntu? Which window manager?

1 minute ago, steve45 said:

The license file is the same, it is maybe still on your sd card of the device.

Regarding the screenshot: which operating system are you using? Linux / Ubuntu? Which window manager?

Good thinking - Will go take a look

This is on Windows 10 running...

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode, sharing)

Screen is fairly hi-res (3200x1800), however at 200%..... Dont have a problem with anything else - If it resized/scaled then it would perfect! :)

Paul

Thanks Steve :)

Found the Key on the Card :)

However it crashes when i try to open it... Click on "Choose" and select the Key, and i get...

37052 [main] INFO RegisterLicense - loading license file: E:\pin2dmd.key
  37053 [main] ERROR PinDmdEditor - unexpected error: {}
  java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 7
      at com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.choose(RegisterLicense.java:158)
      at com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.lambda$createContents$2(RegisterLicense.java:109)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
      at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
      at com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.open(PinDmdEditor.java:585)
      at com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor$1.run(PinDmdEditor.java:434)
      at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
      at com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.main(PinDmdEditor.java:430)
  Caused by: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 7
      at com.rinke.solutions.pinball.license.LicenseManagerImpl.verify(LicenseManagerImpl.java:169)
      at com.rinke.solutions.pinball.ui.RegisterLicense.choose(RegisterLicense.java:156)
      ... 9 more
  37054 [main] INFO PinDmdEditor - entering event loop

• Content Provider

@Toibs you have to rename the key file to it's original name '#<serial>.key'. I also adjusted the layout of the controls so resizing the main window should help to get readable controls, but the flat layout of win10 is rather big. Unfortunately I have no win10 testing system ready to try best layout results. but please give the latest version a try. 

I've been trying to get the new version to work but no luck....

I tried both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version (2.0.1.0) on different Win10 machines but issue remains the same. Latest Java is installed (version 8, update 131)..

When I create a  new scene from a recording and change some coloring the moment I press the start button all the frames get the same delay value. I have no clue why this happens and don't think this should happen. I included a screen shot of the scenes before pressing the Start button to play the animation.5907a2caa4be2_delayperframe.thumb.png.8ae2405a42c674cf3085bed620cdbe0f.png

When I export I also am not sure which option I need to use to export the project. I'm using this on a vpin with a pin2dmd.

The Export Project (real pin) gives me two files: *.pal and a *.fsq

The Export Project (virt pin) gives me two files: *.pal and a *.vni

When testing both lock up the dmd when the altered scene need to be displayed. Visual Pinball also stops working. I expect this has to do with the issue of the same delay values frames are assigned but am not sure.

Would love to work on coloring roms but this is giving me quite some problems.... Hope someone can help me.

• Content Provider
3 hours ago, senseless said:

I tried both the 32 bit and the 64 bit version (2.0.1.0) on different Win10 machines but issue remains the same. Latest Java is installed (version 8, update 131)..

uninstall JAVA.

go here: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

select Windows Offline (64-bit)

and you should be good to go with the 64 bit editor. I did this on 2 windows 10 machines, and it worked both times.

Thanks for the help!

I did install the offline 64 bit version but had also the 32 bit Java version installed. De-installed everything, rebooted and installed the offline version.

Same behavior is still there. In addition when I save a project as Save As it does not register it as such and if I want to save progress the Save project is not available and I can only save via the Save As.... WEIRD. This Is not always the case but random.

I'm at a loss here...

• Content Provider
15 minutes ago, senseless said:

Thanks for the help!

I did install the offline 64 bit version but had also the 32 bit Java version installed. De-installed everything, rebooted and installed the offline version.

Same behavior is still there. In addition when I save a project as Save As it does not register it as such and if I was to save progress the Save project is not available and I can only save via the Save As.... WEIRD.

I'm at a loss here...

Which version of the editor do you use. The "Save as" bug was fixed a couple of version ago. But you are right until now the "first save" of a new project must always be "Save as ..." which is somewhat unusual and I will change that, but I think this is a minor detail

• Content Provider
27 minutes ago, senseless said:

I'm using the updated 64bit version from yesterday at  https://bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor2/latest#files

As mentioned earlier the files at this url are getting updated frequently. There is a specific version info in the about form (see attached image).

So posting the url does not help.

About_pin2dmd_editor_und_Pin2dmd_-_Editor.png

• Content Provider
15 hours ago, senseless said:

I've been trying to get the new version to work but no luck....

When I create a  new scene from a recording and change some coloring the moment I press the start button all the frames get the same delay value. I have no clue why this happens and don't think this should happen. I included a screen shot of the scenes before pressing the Start button to play the animation.5907a2caa4be2_delayperframe.thumb.png.8ae2405a42c674cf3085bed620cdbe0f.png

When I export I also am not sure which option I need to use to export the project. I'm using this on a vpin with a pin2dmd.

The Export Project (real pin) gives me two files: *.pal and a *.fsq

The Export Project (virt pin) gives me two files: *.pal and a *.vni

When testing both lock up the dmd when the altered scene need to be displayed. Visual Pinball also stops working. I expect this has to do with the issue of the same delay values frames are assigned but am not sure.

Would love to work on coloring roms but this is giving me quite some problems.... Hope someone can help me.

Can you please be more specific on the error you are expirencing. The start button simply starts realtime playback in the preview window, nothing else. Delay also shows the delay (or hold time) of the current frame. For some sequences is could be that every delay is the same, depends on the recording and which part you are cutting out.

• Content Provider
21 minutes ago, Syco54645 said:

So it seems that the colors I chose in the editor when viewed on the actual hardware are nowhere similar. White is magenta. What causes this and how can I avoid it in the future? Also how can I pick white?

Besides some normal deviations because of different color profiles for the different devices this is definitely not the case. Are you sure the right palette gets selected on the device.

What kind of setup are you using? Live preview?

With live preview and usb to the device connected you can even see every frame live on the device including color changes, while working in the editor.

A example with playing a video scene is available here: 

In the video it is an older version of the editor, but it is the same in v2. As soon as device is connected (drivers installed of course) and live preview active, you get a real preview.

With WIFI enabled pin2dmd's this even works over wifi, no usb cable needed in this case. The preview even work with color chooser open, so you see colors changing, while setting up colors of a palette

3 hours ago, steve45 said:

Can you please be more specific on the error you are expirencing. The start button simply starts realtime playback in the preview window, nothing else. Delay also shows the delay (or hold time) of the current frame. For some sequences is could be that every delay is the same, depends on the recording and which part you are cutting out.

I would expect that the start button when selecting a scene would play the scene corresponding the captured delays of the individual frames. This is not the case. When I press the start button it defaults to a single delay frame and plays the whole scene corresponding to that delay setting. 

When I cut a scene initially and go through it frame by frame each frame has it's own unique (and expected) delay value. As soon as I press the start button these individual delay values are gone and if I go through the frame one by one all the frames have the same delay value.

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit, installed the offline Java setup file and downloaded the latest 64 bit version again (2.0.1.0 build 26). It did not change anything.

Additional question : when adding a colorscene switch I saw in the youtube video that you selected the recording and selected the starting frame again from the scene for which you want to add a colorscene switch. I do the same but wonder why this is needed. The captured scene already has the starting frame and and frame captured so why not just select the scene directly and add the colorscene? Currently this is not possible but perhaps a nice feature for user friendliness as it saves the time and possible risk of making a mistake in selecting the right starting frame.

Update:

When exporting the initially created scene (dot size four) to gif it takes into account the individual delay values. If I export the scene again after I pressed the start button the exported gif is created with a default delay value.

Initial scene.gifScene after start button .gif

2 hours ago, steve45 said:

Besides some normal deviations because of different color profiles for the different devices this is definitely not the case. Are you sure the right palette gets selected on the device.

What kind of setup are you using? Live preview?

With live preview and usb to the device connected you can even see every frame live on the device including color changes, while working in the editor.

A example with playing a video scene is available here:

In the video it is an older version of the editor, but it is the same in v2. As soon as device is connected (drivers installed of course) and live preview active, you get a real preview.

With WIFI enabled pin2dmd's this even works over wifi, no usb cable needed in this case. The preview even work with color chooser open, so you see colors changing, while setting up colors of a palette

Yeah I am using the correct pallet, all of the other colors are more or less the same. I am using live preview. It seems I got the white to actually be white. Not sure why it was magenta. I ended up selecting white a few different times in the color picker to get it to clear.

Is there a way to copy only part of a frame and past it? Would help speed up some of the colorization for animation I am currently doing on addams family.

• Content Provider
31 minutes ago, Syco54645 said:

Is there a way to copy only part of a frame and past it? Would help speed up some of the colorization for animation I am currently doing on addams family.

Try out the lastest build from this afternoon. It has exactly this type of clipboard support. There is a new selection tool in the drawing toolbar ...

Just now, steve45 said:

Try out the lastest build from this afternoon. It has exactly this type of clipboard support. There is a new selection tool in the drawing toolbar ...

Perfect, this will speed things up so much I think

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, senseless said:

Additional question : when adding a colorscene switch I saw in the youtube video that you selected the recording and selected the starting frame again from the scene for which you want to add a colorscene switch. I do the same but wonder why this is needed. The captured scene already has the starting frame and and frame captured so why not just select the scene directly and add the colorscene? Currently this is not possible but perhaps a nice feature for user friendliness as it saves the time and possible risk of making a mistake in selecting the right starting frame.

You are right this could be done for convenience, but I'm not sure if this will be sufficient for most of the cases. many times you may choose a different palette to switch to or the switching requires some masking, as the simple starting frame cannot be used as it is. But may be I will add a configuration that enables automatic creation of key frame on cutting. 

• Content Provider

When I cut a scene initially and go through it frame by frame each frame has it's own unique (and expected) delay value. As soon as I press the start button these individual delay values are gone and if I go through the frame one by one all the frames have the same delay value.

I have tried playback on recordings and cutted scenes many times and never expierenced something like this. But given the details above I will investigate ...

• Content Provider
4 minutes ago, steve45 said:

I have tried playback on recordings and cutted scenes many times and never expierenced something like this. But given the details above I will investigate ...

Looks like there is indeed some issue. Hold on, update will follow ..

I would expect that the start button when selecting a scene would play the scene corresponding the captured delays of the individual frames. This is not the case. When I press the start button it defaults to a single delay frame and plays the whole scene corresponding to that delay setting. 

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 pro 64 bit, installed the offline Java setup file and downloaded the latest 64 bit version again (2.0.1.0 build 26). It did not change anything.

Update:

When exporting the initially created scene (dot size four) to gif it takes into account the individual delay values. If I export the scene again after I pressed the start button the exported gif is created with a default delay value.

Initial scene.gifScene after start button .gif

I am also running windows 10 and I was getting this exact delay behavior on the previous version of the editor(a week ago). Lucky and I couldn't figure it out because he could not replicate the behavior I was getting. Seems like windows 10 is having some weird difference with the editor. Anyway, to sum it up, when I watch the scene in the editor which was recorded from vpinmame I see the delay value constantly changing for each frame. When I cut a scene the delay value is fixed to the delay corresponding to the first frame from the cut scene. For example, if I cut a scene with the first frame having a large delay, the entire cut scene is very very slow.